What's up with Gunbroker?

Saved for Reference.
spareparts
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

What's up with Gunbroker?

Post by spareparts »

There's M53 kits for sale on Gunbroker, some missing parts even, and their price is like hundreds more than Apex. Am I missing something? And then individual parts that are priced 50-100% more than what you can get them for from Robertrtg. Are these guys preying on unsuspecting hobbyists?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What's up with Gunbroker?

Post by JBaum »

Not everybody is a smart shopper. Stupidity is expensive. There are people who are willing to take advantage of that.

I always laugh when someone offers an item for sale at a ridiculous price, and justifies it by saying "Do you know how rare this is? It's probably the only one left in the world."

My reply: "Octopus crap is rare too, but that doesn't make it expensive."

Sometimes the only thing rarer than a certain item, is someone who wants to buy it.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

First, APEX wont ship anywhere..... Washington for the M53... I live in "Kalifornia" and have problems getting items shipped, many business simply wont ship here....

I, in some cases are forced to pay a more $$ from others just to obtain items..

My experience...
pitfighter
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by pitfighter »

Do you think M53 kits are knee-jerk purchases?

"...Preying on unsuspecting hobbyists..."
If you are in the business of building either 922r semi automatics or fully automatic dealer samples from M53 machine-gun kits, you need to be both "suspecting" and informed - if you had the wherewithal to sign up for an auction-site and buy a machine-gun kit without doing your research on either laws, or market value, I have little sympathy for them.

With guns - homework first, wallet second.
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

What the guys already said is true. Look at BREN kits. If you show a picture of it slapped together it'll go for up to $1000 more than the same gun shown in parts.

There is always something that you may not see. APEX receivers may be cut waaaay forward; does the one in question have enough meat for a reweld or mating to a BRP shell? That's worth a boatload. Is it worth the risk?

Then there's the "rare part" or "rare stamp" issue. I've seen sellers post big bucks on stuff without mentioning that rare part...because they know they'll sell while the ignorant (and I mean that respectfully) won't pay for it, but the knowledgeable collector will.

But yes, more than likely it's trolling for a sucker. Happens all the time and apparently it works.
FNG
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

My first build I was advised by someone here to buy two kits. I did from APEX . Between the to kits I managed to have the parts for one good build, there were worn and broken parts in both kits and I had extra receiver parts to practice welding with.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Many folks when getting their car fixed, ac unit replaced, whatever only want one quote. Then they wonder way they had to pay so much more than someone else for the same job. Wonder why???
Some ad's have more "flash". Well same thing on GB..

Later 42rocker