MG42 in Switzerland

Post your pics and vids here.
Darius

MG42 in Switzerland

Post by Darius »

Hello, I am living in Switzerland and had the chance to acquire this entirely operational MG42. According to the seller, this MG originated from France. The MG is in pristine shape and the two barrels are close to new. According to the markings, the gun has been built in 1944 in the Mauser factory near Berlin (serial number has been erased on the picture):

Detail of the markings (serail number erased on the picture)

Bolt assembly:

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: MG42 in Switzerland

Post by Bil »

Very nice-too bad your laws are so strict!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe that is why nobody messes with Switzerland.That and the hidden money thing!Very nice,thanks for the pictures. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Yeah bil I think they can have them but its hard to shoot them or something crazy like that ...
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Another member here has the one he was issued ,he bought it or got to keep it,something crazy.They all have stuff like this,I think they have to if they are in the military.Darius,could you explain better?Again,very nice gun! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Is it just me or do those markings look funny.When I thnk of the markings on the IMA stuff they just don't seem the same..
Is this a m-53 redo or a mg42..

Remember the posts that listed the differences and the posters statement that a lot of redone remarked 53/42 were showing up??

Might want to double check this..

Then again what do I know... HOWEVER nice looking WEAPON...

Later 42rocker
phil_uk
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by phil_uk »

the markings to me look very suspicious to, they look to be engraved quite recent?
Darius

Post by Darius »

Bil wrote:Another member here has the one he was issued ,he bought it or got to keep it,something crazy.They all have stuff like this,I think they have to if they are in the military.Darius,could you explain better?Again,very nice gun! ---bil
You need a purchase license to buy a gun. But, beside providing an extract of your (clean) criminal record, there are really no additional requirements. Beside this, every man has to fufill his military service, and during his activ duty and reserve period he keeps his equipment, including his personal weapons - sidearm SIG P75 and assault gun SIG FASS90 - with him. After his active service, he can keep his weapons, but the assault gun will be re-configured to semi-auto only.

Automatic weapons are belonging to the forbidden weapons and you need to obtain a special license to hold these and shoot them. But there is no problem in obtaining such permit if you are a honorable citizen.

I trust this answes your question.
Darius

Post by Darius »

phil_uk wrote:the markings to me look very suspicious to, they look to be engraved quite recent?
I know the origin of the gun. In addition there are a lot of marking and numbers which all fit. Here another uncensored picture of the markings. I am interested in your opinion of course
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

whoa...you bought this in Switzerland??

I read the others that have suspect thoughts about it being real.

So I decided to investigate...and using very powerful image forensics...I see that it is indeed NOT a 'real' MG-42.

The results of my probing into these images is that infact you purchased a Toblerone that is shaped in an unusual MG-42 pattern and not that normal bizare triangle shape.

Evidence 1:

Look between the serial number...you can faintly see on the metal the 'Toblerone' engravings:
Toblerone.jpg
Still not convinced? Well look at that transit case it came with!!!
Official Transit chest
Official Transit chest
Even a blind man would agree...you don't shoot this mg-42...you cut sections of it and share it with friends at parties...or you get really hungry and raid it out of the hotel's minibar!!!
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Those engraving sure as hell look authentic to me & I have seen quite a few receivers ... :lol:

Can you guys in Switzerland just go shooting your guns anytime you want or is that a restricted affair ????
Darius

Post by Darius »

rocco1911 wrote:Those engraving sure as hell look authentic to me & I have seen quite a few receivers ... :lol:

Can you guys in Switzerland just go shooting your guns anytime you want or is that a restricted affair ????
It is a restricted affair, if you want to shoot an MG in civilian shooting range and most of the ranges are not suited for; but if you have access to military ranges such restrictions do not apply, as long as the range is approved for automatic gun fire.
Darius

Post by Darius »

noonxnoon wrote:whoa...you bought this in Switzerland??

I read the others that have suspect thoughts about it being real.

So I decided to investigate...and using very powerful image forensics...I see that it is indeed NOT a 'real' MG-42.

The results of my probing into these images is that infact you purchased a Toblerone that is shaped in an unusual MG-42 pattern and not that normal bizare triangle shape.

Still not convinced? Well look at that transit case it came with!!!
Toblerone2.jpg
Even a blind man would agree...you don't shoot this mg-42...you cut sections of it and share it with friends at parties...or you get really hungry and raid it out of the hotel's minibar!!!
Damned, I'm caught!!! This, thanks to sophisticated forensic photographic analysis. But you will agree, that only the Swiss have the technology to make chocolate with a melting point equalling 1500°F while remaining edible... :lol:
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Darius wrote:
rocco1911 wrote:Those engraving sure as hell look authentic to me & I have seen quite a few receivers ... :lol:

It is a restricted affair, if you want to shoot an MG in civilian shooting range and most of the ranges are not suited for; but if you have access to military ranges such restrictions do not apply, as long as the range is approved for automatic gun fire.

So I was right having them is OK Fine but shooting them is the hard part correct ?.... :mrgreen:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Rocco-they don't have the Mexican druglords there [yet],it isn't like in Phoenix where you can use them while driving on the sidewalk on the way to hold up a 7-11!! :shock: :lol: [I only did it once,honest!] ---bil
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Now thats funny .... :lol:
Darius

Post by Darius »

In Switzerland we are still using the MG51 which is virtually identical to the MG42 except for its caliber (GP11 / 7.5mm Swiss) and the fact that every piece is milled (not stamped). The latter, a typical example of "Swiss overengineering" making the gun 50% heavier and not more reliable...<a Image
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Darius wrote:In Switzerland we are still using the MG51 which is virtually identical to the MG42 except for its caliber (GP11 / 7.5mm Swiss) and the fact that every piece is milled (not stamped). The latter, a typical example of "Swiss overengineering" making the gun 50% heavier and not more reliable...<a Image
Very beautiful! I think you should remove the barrels, cut the receivers, and sell some to us :D :lol: ! I'm jealous, do you have more pictures of the MG51?
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

@ around a $1.00 a round nowadays that caliber would be prohibitive so just send the cut up receiver & internal parts you can keep the barrel... :lol:
Darius

Post by Darius »

Michael J wrote: Very beautiful! I think you should remove the barrels, cut the receivers, and sell some to us :D :lol: ! I'm jealous, do you have more pictures of the MG51?
Yep

To please you, a cutted-up version

And, by the way, you can find much cheaper ammunition.
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

whoa!

Was that Cow machinegunner trying to mow down those goats that were competing for the same pasture to graze???