MG42 SA complete!! and pix.

Post your pics and vids here.
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

MG42 SA complete!! and pix.

Post by sdk1968 »

so here is the start:

a yugo version called the M53 is the parts kit im goin to use,(its the same gun made in a yugoslavian factory) it has very little wear on the top cover and no visible marks on the bolt. this is a serial # matching kit to boot!! pretty rare to get one of those now days!

the only part that didnt serial number was the barrel. no surprise here, as good of shape as this kits in someone grabbed that baby quick and replaced it with a barrel that looks new on the outside and is not worth a (Try a different word.) on the inside.. so i'll be getting another barrel. minor set back, since everything else is serialed and in excellent shape.

only other part with any trouble is the rear stock... has a chip out of it, but since its a number match im gonna use it and just strip it down and refinish it. if it hadnt been a serial match would have bought a replacement one.

this is what you start out with:
next is to decide how much work your going to do yourself. this sounds easy to say: hell im gonna do it all myself.

not the case!! many of these builds require a machine shop or a machinist to do the conversions to keep the goberment happy. the average guy just cant whip this (Try a different word.) out.

on some builds i do my own machine work in the garage, on others i get help from some of the best guys in the biz!! trust me on this one folks these guys are some of the most skilled machinists out there who like to stay in the shadows and share their knowledge. most people who can do this work are out to skin you alive.

im very very lucky to have guys like Pirate,John Mcguire,Sherman,Musibike, Jestism,Tommerr and Dan diesel to give me real technical advice and machine work.

each man has his own special weapons skill. ive worked from all of these guys on various builds.

without them and a host of other people id still be trying to get my first ak47 together. im forever thankful for their help and proud to say they are people ive associated with.

this build is a Pirate machined fire control group and bolt conversion as he is one of the most trusted and precise guys in the country on this type of gun.

here is a picture of his grip and bolt conversions:
Pirate converts the bolt over to meet the regulations for a fee that is very reasonable. he can do several stages for the various skills you may have. since this is a very very expensive gun i had him go all out on the bolt and FCG for me.

the fire control group is made up of FAL parts (the Israeli combat gun) and he reworks the bolt with his own special set up.

(im not gonna go into anymore details and give away Pirates hard work.. he has a lot of time and money tied up in this and needs to get his parts sold.)

then you need this part from WLA:

after that its pretty much paint by numbers if you follow Pirates tutorials at:

http://www.projectguns.com/mg42.html

after some basic welding, grinding, cutting & a hole lot of cursing.... you wind up with this:

a rather nice table topper!! (and a pissed off wife)

i chose to use the classic blued look instead of one of the fancy blue jobs and i dont have the park set up or place to do it....

its the same instant bluing that ive had great luck with on all of my "military looking" guns.. looks old and a bit worn as soon as its done, and thats the way it should look!! it IS old.

is it as good as brand new factory blue? probably not. but its good enough for me.

lots of comments on instant bluing out there.... its just like anything else, you learn what works for you and stick with it. ive not found anything we build that doesnt "take" to this type of application. ive got a mini tutorial on this already posted.
General
General

Re: MG42 SA complete!! and pix.

Post by Pirate »

Most excellent Job!! glad to see some more of these being built!!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

SuperCongrats!

The finish looks great!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Looks real good! I like the display table!It looks a little slick,though-maybe if you dug in the bipod legs.... I have seen pics of guns on white carpets,clean beds,and kitchen counters-but you get First prize!! :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

Very nice and congrats! I hope you enjoy it.

RR
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

thanks guys!! im hoping to get to go run some belts thru it this weekend...
say what you mean & mean what you say
Diesel45

Post by Diesel45 »

How did she run ? For Gods sake man don't leave us hanging....
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

LOL

sorry bub your new to this thread...

the gun ran fine with Pirates conversion parts and now has about 250 rounds thru it with no problems. NO: FTF's,FTFD's or FTE's.

im stoked over this!

as i figured it would need some tweaking..... do still need to bend the end on the buffer spring and will do that next time im shooting and cleaning it.

that doesnt seem like a lot of shooting, but hey its winter here in ohio!

had a video posted somewhere....not sure what happened to that. will shoot another one when it warms up.

ive used Romanian and Turkish in it now about 150/50 rounds. both are dirty.... turkish is FILTHY!!!

thats a quick review for ya.
sdk
blackreichswehr
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blackreichswehr »

looks super - good work and pride shows
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

:D SUPER Job! to say its easy to complete one of these is relative to ones experience. Nice to see it can be done. I take a step back at every weld, email the ever helpful Pirate and inch closer. The machine shop guys look at me with puzzled looks as I explain the next cut/weld I need. What was the cold blue you used I missed that?

Build on!
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

ive mentioned this many times:

i could not have done this build without Pirates never ending help!!! im very grateful to call him a pal when we talk not just on the boards.

sdk

oh and its a insta blue from Casey's Birchwood... ive got a tutorial on using it posted on Shoot1919a4.com to get the "old used look".
HuecoDoc

Post by HuecoDoc »

I've got a fair amount of experience and good results with parking and I would like to see your thread. I can't find it by searching Shoot1919a4.com for the "old used look", or by searching for your username, sdk1968.
HuecoDoc

Post by HuecoDoc »

Crap, I can't edit my posts. SDK, that's an awesome rifle you put together. I've used parking and combo parking/blueing to match existing finishes. I like to leave all original parts alone when I can. I even thought about tossing my new parked parts in a big sack of polishing rags or pecan shells in the clothes dryer for 8 hours to see how they turn out.

Top plate is mine

Barrel is mine
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

bub lots of our builds and posts got lost in site crashes... how bout if i hook you up to one of my newer cold blue threads??

go here: http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/ ... opic=463.0

most of the people on this MG42 site are on this other site too.... so go check out the link to the tutorial.

sean