After 7 months

Post your pics and vids here.
j.bal
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

After 7 months

Post by j.bal »

I can finally post the last pics of this build. I used the Caswell Black Oxide finish on it. If you decide to use it, follow the directions to the letter. It is a cold system. It was only $50.00 for a gal. and I could still do another gun. I had some minor surface rust that I didn't clean and it came out ok. I think it's alright, beacuse I would like it to look like a 60+ year old gun not new.

auburnmg34

Post by auburnmg34 »

Looks great ! :D
MGfan

Post by MGfan »

wow, looks fantastic!

seems like the rewelded areas took the Blk.oxide very well.
is that because of the TIG weld itself? most rewelded parts I've seen
seem a diff. color than the orig. metal @ the weld.

Dan
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Looks great J. The black oxide from caswell will black even mild ally steel. I use an alloy rod on the bolt conversions and it blacks the welds the same as the plain steel. it is good stuff.
j.bal
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by j.bal »

Thanks, guys. It has been a long time, at least for me, I am impatient when it come to things like this. I have been working with Aurburnmg34 and I look foward to the day we can go to the range to test his for the first time. I still have another to do but with all your help and knowledge this should go quick and easy.
Colorado1919
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Colorado1919 »

Really nice looking gun.
Happiness is a WARM beltfed.

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was." Toby Keith

Live to shoot, shoot to live.

Belt-feeders does not = bottom-feeders.
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

J, I think it looks great man. I do have a question about the finish though. How durable does it seem? I mean its not rubbin off right?
j.bal
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by j.bal »

It seems durable. Yes it did rub off a little. I wiped the whole thing down with a steel wool to buff it up and give a worn look. Over all I'm very happy.
MAX-LEADFLO

Post by MAX-LEADFLO »

Looks great, nice job. Do you just wipe it on with a rag or dunk it in a tank?
none123

Post by none123 »

MAX-LEADFLO wrote:Looks great, nice job. Do you just wipe it on with a rag or dunk it in a tank?
dunk
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

I use the caswel stuff for both a finish and a post black after parkerizing. if you only want to black a part, blast it then heat it in boiling water then imerse it in the solution, then boil to rinse. I made a tank from 4" pvc pipe and a rubber cap.