My second build

Post your pics and vids here.
cclaborn1
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

My second build

Post by cclaborn1 »

This is my second MG42 I have built. This is a reweld on a 1944 Steyr receiver. It's a mix of M53 and Mg3 parts. My first one I started with a M53 kit and Cold Steel receiver that couldn't be made to work. The dimensions of the receiver were incorrect. The rails and reciprocator wouldn't fit. So I waited til I found a good cut up one and put it together.
Attachments
IMG_20171122_070221_185.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My second build

Post by 42rocker »

I've never heard that much good about the cold steel receiver.

Do you think someone could finish a MG42 type build with one?

Glad to see that you were able to find some parts and get a MG42 together. Way to go!!!!
Any pics of the build or a range report yet?

Again Looks Great!

Later 42rocker
cclaborn1
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by cclaborn1 »

I dont think you can use a CCS receiver. After dealing with the one I bought being out of spec and slightly twisted. It would be easier to build one from scratch than use what they send you. Here's a pic from the rear of the receiver. It would make a good display gun receiver and thats about it.
Attachments
20171127_064428.jpg
cclaborn1
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by cclaborn1 »

Here's a pic from last Sunday. I had about 90% of the gun that day. I'm just down to some minor grinding then I'll be taking it to the range.
Attachments
20171119_114948.jpg
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

cclaborn1 wrote:I dont think you can use a CCS receiver. After dealing with the one I bought being out of spec and slightly twisted. It would be easier to build one from scratch than use what they send you. Here's a pic from the rear of the receiver. It would make a good display gun receiver and thats about it.

I am using a CCS solutions receiver, and I wish I would have went with BRP. The only reason I used the CSS was that it had more metal upfront which I needed about 3/4" more than the BRP one I saw. =/ PLUS it took forever to get to my doorstep. I see some warpage in the metal. I think I have had to do more fitting than normal. About 90? done with the gun though. We'll see.... Hoping to test fire in about 2 weeks.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

NickD
Some info for you and others that maybe following this build thread. There were some pieces sold that made up the difference between a brp receiver and some of the m53 receivers cuts that are out there. Not sure if there are a lot for sale or not anymore but something to check into.

Also Good Luck on this build.

Later 42rocker
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

42rocker wrote:NickD
Some info for you and others that maybe following this build thread. There were some pieces sold that made up the difference between a brp receiver and some of the m53 receivers cuts that are out there. Not sure if there are a lot for sale or not anymore but something to check into.

Also Good Luck on this build.

Later 42rocker
HI, thank you. I am about 90% done, but the bolt does not ride super smoothly in the rails which I see may be slightly tweaked due to the receiver being slightly tweaked on the top. Thanks, I can use all the luck possible lol!!!
cclaborn1
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by cclaborn1 »

NickD wrote:
cclaborn1 wrote:I dont think you can use a CCS receiver. After dealing with the one I bought being out of spec and slightly twisted. It would be easier to build one from scratch than use what they send you. Here's a pic from the rear of the receiver. It would make a good display gun receiver and thats about it.

I am using a CCS solutions receiver, and I wish I would have went with BRP. The only reason I used the CSS was that it had more metal upfront which I needed about 3/4" more than the BRP one I saw. =/ PLUS it took forever to get to my doorstep. I see some warpage in the metal. I think I have had to do more fitting than normal. About 90? done with the gun though. We'll see.... Hoping to test fire in about 2 weeks.
It took forever for mine to show up also. Im going to test fire mine tomorrow.
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

cclaborn1 wrote:
NickD wrote:

It took forever for mine to show up also. Im going to test fire mine tomorrow.

Sounds good, let me know how it worked. Yeah again I wish I would have gone with a different receiver, especially if it had Extra metal up front, and did not take three months to receive.