MG42 just picked up

Post your pics and vids here.
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 just picked up

Post by magnet69 »

Just got my transferable MG42 today on way back from Knob Creek. I had nice talk w/ John Baum there and got some good advice. Hope to shoot it soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
As my Uncle Fritz said: "Wenn ich rauche, ich sterbe. Wenn ich rauche nicht, ich sterbe. So ich rauche." In other words, Life's short, Just do it!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: MG42 just picked up

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

You lucky guy.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Luck had nothing to do with it. It's working a lot, and spending it on toys. Good job!
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by magnet69 »

Thanks. I guess 30 yrs after med school gets me a few $$$ toys. Not that this is the correct forum section, but my understanding on the 308 conversion is I can use my mg42 8mm top cover with a modified 8mm feed tray and 308 bbl. I'm just confused on which parts or all of the booster assembly is needed to change (flash hider, booster nozzle, bbl bearing guide)?
As my Uncle Fritz said: "Wenn ich rauche, ich sterbe. Wenn ich rauche nicht, ich sterbe. So ich rauche." In other words, Life's short, Just do it!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I change out the top cover (complete) and feed tray and then the parts you listed.

Sorry we did not meet at Knob Creek

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

My gun works in 8mm and .308 by just changing the barrel, feed tray, and top cover. The feed pawls for .308 have a slightly longer stroke to enable it to pull in the larger diameter .308 cartridge. Rather than changing feed pawls, it's easier to have two top covers to trade, one for each caliber. I doubt that you'll need to change nozzles. The remainder of the muzzle parts don't get changed.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Congrats on your acquisition! That is a nice piece of history.

A picture, or these days a link, is worth a thousand words:
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/MG1-7 ... 1p2475.htm

There is also a "deluxe" package for $50 more, but this one for $299 will get you through, as a nostalgic guy, and musician, I prefer the sound register of the 8mm, but from a practical standpoint the 308 these days is easier to work with and you can still find good quality surplus non-corrosive 308 ammo.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by magnet69 »

Thanks for everyone's input. I have multiple parts of each caliber with my package, so I'm GTG for swapping out.