A few MG's historic photos

Post your pics and vids here.
RetiredRoadDog

A few MG's historic photos

Post by RetiredRoadDog »

Not sure what this is???

or this guy? Looks like an anti-tank gun.

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: A few MG's historic photos

Post by 42rocker »

Looks like we are going to need the pro boys from Dover to name a few of these.

Thanks again..

Later 42rocker
RetiredRoadDog

Post by RetiredRoadDog »

amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

Pic one is an MG34 and a PzB39, pic 2 and 3 are MG34's, next is a PzB39 with both ammo boxes installed, its a falling block anti-tank rifle firing a high velocity 7.92mm bullet....about 4200fps. The boxes clip onto the sides of the rifle and hold 10rds ea but the gun is a manually loaded single shot. Next AT rifle looks like a Solothurn ST5 to me but it could be an S18-100 which fires a 20mm X105mm belted case. Reports on most of the webpages say its got horrible recoil that breaks shoulders....thats a crock. I've got a 20mmX138B S18-1000 which is the big brother and it doesn't kick that bad. My little wife shoots the thing and actually hits targets at pretty long range.
Next is another MG34 on a side car, next is an MG131 which is an aircraft gun firing a 13.2mm round with a belted case. They were looking for a fast firing MG with bigger bullets and more punch for aircraft use. The 13.2mm allowed them to put some explosive in the projo where the 8mm was too small for that. All of them I know of were electric primed cases though I've heard the japanese used a percussion fired version.
Last pic is an MG42.....

Hope that helps. Tell me if I win.

Frank
RetiredRoadDog

Post by RetiredRoadDog »

A Few More. Somebody's on a roll with the identifications: