Books

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Books

Post by 42rocker »

1st this not about John Braum's GREAT BOOKS.....

It's about a few of the Stackpole books that are out there... Looking for feed back on the following books..

1st book Shows the "author" on the cover with an mg34.. Good Start.. A Swedish Volunteer in the 11th SS Panzergrenadier Division on the Eastern Front... Well, SS Swedish volunteer... Listed below is the link any input on this one??

2nd book is " Panzer Gunner: A Canadian in the German 7th Panzer Division, 1944-45 " link

Last number 3 is In the Fire of the Eastern Front: The Experiences of a Dutch Waffen-SS Volunteer, 1941-45.. link is

NO!! I'm not a salesman for amazon ( I really don't like the folks and will only pay by credit card that will fight for me...)

However I'm interested in finding out a few ideas about those books so any feed back???
An other good books in simlair idea??? Ok, I have a lot of John's GREAT BOOKS, I'll pay him in cash, great to deal with...

Thanks

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Books

Post by Bil »

1st book-Twilight of the Gods-by Thorolf Hillblad.A first-person account of swedish SS volunteer Erik Wallin.Very good book,well written,lots of original pics.
Mostly 1944-45,eastern front battles in Pomerania and Berlin with SS Division Nordland.Excellant book,buy it.
2nd book.-Panzer Gunner,etc. by Bruno Friesen.Story of an immigrant from Germany to Canada,then back as a child.In action with the 25th Pz Rgt,7th Pzr Division.Also his life upon returning to Canada.Good book,with many pictures and maps.He details the TDs he served in,and the good and bad points of each,also how and why they were deployed.Good book,get it.
#3d book-Fire on the Eastern Front.I do not have this yet,but have added it to the list.The Dutch SS has an interesting history,looks good.
Also recomend-A Frozen Hell,by William Trotter.It is about the Russo-Finnish war of 1939-1940
-Blood Red Snow,by Gunter Koschorrek Memoirs of a machine-gunner on the Eastern front,from Stalingrad til wars end.Pictures,maps.Very good,I would really recomend this one.
Black Edelweiss,by Johann Voss. Originally written while a POW in 45-46,this is the story of a young SS mountain trooper,fighting in Finnland,and what happened after Finnland signed the armistice with the USSR,leaving the Germans in a real bad position.Maps and pictures.This has the advantage of being written while it was still fresh,and the author was facing up to what had been going on in Germany.Highly recomended.
If you get a lot from Amazon,it is worth getting the prefered shipping.There is a yearly,one-time cost.There is more than books there,almost anything can be gotten at good prices.Last year I was out in Calif and my tape measure broke.I am particular about my tools,and it meant a 25 mile drive over the mountains to the hardware store.The woman I worked for asked for the particulars,and it was there before I started the next day.And cheaper.
If you want any more recomendation,I have a lot of books,mostly history of all periods,mainly WW II eastern front,leaning towards soldiers memoirs.Also technical books on the same.Many are out of print,but some are being re-printed.Last time I checked,there were about 10,000 books here.Holy crap!! :shock:
---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

THANKS Bil for your help and listing the other books..

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Well bought a lot of tank models the other day during a house call and picked up a copy of "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. Just getting into it, it's a slow strong read. For those that have read the book, I'm at the part where he is starting to head back as his leave is ending and he just left Paula. Yes, I know the ending the Germans lose the War... So you can talk about the book and not ruin the ending.

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Very good book, though there is some controversy as to it's accuracy and details.That aside,what happens and how are very accurate,I would highly recommend it,a keeper,I have read it many times. Cross of iron By hans Helmut Kirsk (sp) is a good fictional account of the war in the southern Caucasus,was a movie,not as good as the book. Forgotten Soldier movie project has stalled,but not dead as of last notice.Check Axis History Forums for more. Enjoy the book! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert