Introductions (or one way to increase your post count).

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
ljm62

Hello still continued

Post by ljm62 »

Other interests are boats and fishing. I live in Alaska so fishing is a must. but thats for another forum.

So know you all know a bit about me.

L.J.
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

HI, i love this site and hope to spend lots of time here. Im really into crew served wpns, i cant afford class 3 guns, so semi copys are the next best thing.
thefaz

Post by thefaz »

Same problem as Thorn - love belt-feds but can't afford 20K on the Class III. I ended up on this board at the end of a slow process that started with me getting a C&R license a couple years ago. That led to an interest in historic military firearms, which seemed to multiply exponentially and show no signs of stopping.

Then I started reading about building parts kits and got the urge to do it myself. Started with the easy one - the FAL, and built a few of those before looking for another challenge. The next step was an AK, not too hard and a lot of fun, plus they used to be cheap to shoot.... Then I discovered the 1919A4 board, and after several months of assembling parts, getting machining done, etc. I built myself a very nice A4 and with a crankfire it is my absolute favorite to shoot, with the exception of the ammo bill.

Working on a Bren right now, just waiting to weld the receiver with a buddy of mine and will be almost done. So what is the next project? I want another belt-fed, the 42 seems to be the way to go, but I waited too long to get the kit w/receiver. I guess I have to be patient and hope Angola or someone else comes through for us. Seems like a shame to let these good semi-designs go to waste!
Der Stahlhelm

Post by Der Stahlhelm »

Kleist
nice ride.
ped315
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by ped315 »

HI,
I guess I am going to post here to up my count as well. I live in MS but work in New Orleans LA. I collect C&R's, but have accumulated alot of other firearms as well. I have built two belt fed semi autos. One is a 1919a4 and the other is a MG34. The 1919a4 is built on an ORF right side plate and the MG34 is suilt on a TNW receiver. Of the two the 1919a4 is the more reliable, shooting any brand of 7.62 I have come across. It works well freshly cleaned and is flawless after 1500 rounds in one afternoon. My MG34 works flawlessly only when clean and fed Romanian steel case. After 200 rounds the bolt and cams need to be cleaned and and lubricated otherwise she starts jamming. So far the only problems I have shooting these and my other mag fed clones are two of my local RSO's. I have had them argue that building my 1919a4 to fire semi auto does not preclude it from being a full auto. I don't have too much respect for them for this and other reasons. Anyway hello, I look forward to some great reading and I will ocassionaly help out if it is something I know about. I am not one for spreading a lot of useless BS.

PED
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Gratuitous Post... Don't need it, but what the hell....
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
KMURPHY

Post by KMURPHY »

Hello. Name is kevin, but everyone calls me murph. MG-42 is my favorite weapon, so i wanna build one. Joined here to find out how! I will probably ask tons of questions, so dont mind me, as i am a noob. Well, i am located in Waukesha, Wisconsin (right by milwaukee). Well, i will sit back & enjoy the show.
KMURPHY

Post by KMURPHY »

oh......BTW, i want to buy a yugo M-53? kit, where is the best place to get a good one for the right $$$$$.
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Hi, Murph. Welcome to the board. The cheapest place I know of is SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) and they were at $250 when I got mine. Then you have to get the back end of the receiver (usually from IMA at $135-$150), and the barrel support repair piece (may be available from a group buy on Weaponeer.com for $100, or on occassion found on auction at Gunbroker.com) and the final "missing link", the cam piece/center section. That one is typically the "unobtainium" part. The last batch for sale went for $135 each. Then you have to either choose to weld it yourself (after doing the semi-auto mods) or send it out to someone, and the same with modifying the bolt and trigger group to semi-auto. There's a LOT of information here, and some really good guys who have much of the hard part already figured out and gone over in tutorials with pictures. Don't get in a rush, and enjoy the process, and learn from the more experienced guys here who have done this already, and you'll be fine. And if it sounds expensive, look at it this way- a Class III full-auto version of the MG-42 has been going for around $40,000, so even $1,500 to $2,000 for a homebuilt semi-auto weapon is cheap by comparison.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Yep, and certainly cheaper the the $6000 BRP semi's. So far, I have a complete gun in peices with free welding service that will cost less that $1000, about $750.
KMURPHY

Post by KMURPHY »

well, i will farm out the welding of the reciever, as well as the semi-auto mods. I will ask you guys when the time comes. I just hope i can get a decent kit or 2. Shudda been doing this years ago while the gettin was good. I recently discovered "parts kits", and they are like crack. I get one and cant wait to procure more. And then my freinds are now buying kits too. I will stockpile while there are still some halfway decent kits.
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Welcome Murph:

I'm at my Sister's house in the Dells right now, but I'll be going back to the Black Hills soon. When I get home, I should have two SOG M53 kits waiting for me. I've got an IMA rear receiver set ordered, which should also be there. And....a BREN, waiting welding up :) When I was a class 3 SOT, I had a post '86 1919A6 "demonstrator" that I had to sell when Slick Willy priced me out of the market :cry: , but I kept my Thompson and STEN. I'm looking forward to my builds.

Take care.

MikeD
KMURPHY

Post by KMURPHY »

well, the dells is a beautiful area
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

I was at the Dells for a bridge dedication at the little railroad where I used to work. I'm back home now, and I unpacked my latest SOG M53 kit, and it's even nicer than the one I already had. It's got a really nice barrel. :D

Here's a photo of the IMA receiver parts. It's cut in the best locations it probably could be, the "important" holes at the rear are all in one piece, and the hole for the front of the recuperator is there too. That should make it easy to set the overall length by just bolting in the grip mount plate and recuperator. :) The "ratchet" plate isn't messed up too much either. Like somebody said, it doesn't "ratchet" anything, I suspect that the "bumps" are just to cut down on the friction of the cocking handle rubbing on the side of the receiver :?: .

MikeD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DM1975

Post by DM1975 »

Hello, new here. I am trying to learn how to build up a dummy MG42 for my military equipment collection. Hope to learn allot here.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

welcome aboard theres plenty of information and a large group of experienced guys here ready to help you.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Cofaler

Post by Cofaler »

OK, so I read MOST of this thread... Born and raised in Maine, Army right out of HS, 16 years. Six years in the guard and counting. Anyone in the Denver Metro area interested in an MG42 build or need a little help with an AK or FAL let me know...
pcfxd

Post by pcfxd »

Huge Thank You for the resource this site provides. I'm not new to kit builds, but a yugo 53 (mg42) is new to me. I do machine work as well as fabrication as part of my job. More to come in post #4 lol :D
Last edited by pcfxd on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
pcfxd

Post by pcfxd »

:mrgreen: BBT is scheduled to deliver a CFS MG42 kit ($200) to me today :D

PVC solvent cuts cosmo better than any other I've used btw. Good stuff.
Cofaler

Post by Cofaler »

Never tried PVC solvent. Gasoline outside has worked for me...