Time for Change.

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Time for Change.

Post by salt6 »

To All Members,

I'll keep this short as is my custom.

I've decided to turn over the MG42.US website to John Baum (john@germanmanuals.com}.

There comes a time in life when you have to make a decision that is hard and one you really don't want to do. This is my second and is due to my third that is coming up in the future. The third is retirement. Retirement for me is a move to the Philippines and starting a business with my family over there.

So I have come to a difficult decision, that I could not manage or devote the time to the site from that far away. I've just sent John the info he needs to manage the site. I will begin backing away as an Admin and become just a member in the future. I hope to have the site turned over completed by the end of June.

It has been a great time here for me. All you great guys on this forum, I hope you will support John.

Thanks for the wonderful memories,
Steve
salt6
Admin
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Time for Change.

Post by roadrunner »

Thank's Steve for all you've put Into this site.
Best of luck to you in your retirement venture. My wife's family is in Phil. also and I have considered the same.
We'll do our best to treat John well.
Good travels to you, Wally :D
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Good luck Steve...thanks for all you've done.
Congrats John....we are in good hands. :)
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I had a board years ago, before everyone could get internet access. Glad to be here as a member, and happy to have this board now.

Thanks go to Salt6 (Steve) for getting this board going, keeping it going for all these years, and now wanting the board to continue as his priorities have changed.

John
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Now that I've been doing the background maintenance on the board for a few weeks, I have to say that I'm surprised by the traffic here. We don't have dozens of new messages every day, but we do have dozens of people who log on, many as guests, who spend a lot of time reading the message bases.

While it doesn't seem like any growth is going on, new users are usually joining at 3-5 per day. I realize that considering the extensive amount of information that's here, there really needs to be very few questions asked to be able to gather a complete information package of what's needed to create a semi 42 from a kit and parts.

I guess we've done our jobs so well, that to a large extent, we've driven ourselves out of our roles as consultants and guides.

FYI, I've been going through the membership list, and anyone who hasn't logged on in the last 7 years is getting their account deleted (all messages will remain). This will enable a more realistic usercount and activity picture.

Anyone who sends email to salt6@mg42.us may notice that the reply comes from me at my John@Germanmanuals.com address. I've set up the board to forward a copy of the mail to my email, as I have it set up on my phone and can take care of everything more promptly that way. Eventually, I'll change the system to use "admin@mg42.us", but I don't want Salt6 to feel like he's been booted out. That will never happen.

John

Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

There is so much info here, even besides the stickies. Before my first semi build I spent hundreds of hours here reading, going through old posts, hundreds of pages as sort of a nightly hobby. Such a wealth of info is here for those willing to take the time. I'd start on the first page from ten years ago in some forums and read up to date. Learned a lot that way. I'm guessing that is what many of those logged in but not posting are doing- researching. This site is the library of the the MG42/53/3 both FA and SA builds. To all of those who have contributed over the years this is a testament to all of you that so little questions need to be asked at this point in this reference library as I call it..

I don't expect everyone to do this and questions, statements and new threads of all related topics of course are always welcome, but this is why sometimes we are quick to be very helpful for some and less apt to help when it appears someone didn't even to bother to read a few sticky posts....the later doesn't happen often but it must be noted. If you can't find something always feel free to ask as no one is expected to read every post, but at the same time many of us who will be glad to help expect that some of the more simple one-thousand times asked questions to be searched first. That said, we hope to hear from both new members and would love to see some updates from older members.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Been away a long time, thank you, Steve, for all you have done through the years-it is greatly appreciated! As to your choice of who to carry on, you couldn't have picked better! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Bil! He's alive!!! (said with a Gene Wilder big-eyed smile)

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Careful Now
Bil is back --- one "L" if you please

And I'm back after a two year break, so watch out folks.

I remember bringing John's name up in a talk with Steve a few years ago about this.
Glad to see it happened. Only in the fact that John is now in charge. Sorry to see salt6 moving on.

Steve

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!

You built a Great Board and thru it helped a lot of folks with their mg's. THANKS Again!!!!

Later 42rocker
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Salt6/Steve your initiative to create this website engendered countless builds and saved many builders from dangerous/deadly mishaps while guiding them along their journey to reanimating historical semi-autos, one kit at a time.

The tome of knowledge on this site is like no other on the Internet. Furthermore from a sociological perspective it is quite unique watching us all try to put our heads together in those heady days when these kits were streaming in and doing our best to watch, learn, and in some cases participate in the theories, in building the best legal semi-auto designs. THANK YOU for the work, time, and sacrifice, best of luck.

Okay JBaum, does this mean that every member calling the camming piece a "trunion" gets kicked off the island :lol:

Also congrats JBaum, the garrison has been left in good hands :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I never argue with anyone, when I know I'm right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The member list is a little smaller since I took over. I got rid of anyone who hadn't been on here since 12-31-2011.
I figure if they haven't been on for 5-1/2 years, they don't need an account. I'm not impressed with meaningless numbers, so 400 "members" went away.

There's an update waiting for the board, and I'll be setting it up for American English instead of British English, which was the default without doing extra work. I'm sure most people never knew the difference, anyway. 42Rocker and I are going to work to organize a little, and try to get the pictures back on that have disappeared since Photobucket started charging for hosting pictures.

Kits are still out there waiting to be built, and even though the message bases are slow, the new users are coming in at about 3 to 5 per day. Guest traffic is rarely below 10 people at a time, so there is a lot of activity on here that doesn't show.

The information here is thorough and detailed, and with those of us who know such things very well, help is always available and almost always well informed.

I can't think of anyone I'd like to toss, just some I'd like to have back. :)

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Things around here are gonna be good as always. Thanks to Salt for all his hard work over the years, and to John for being a cornerstone in the MG-42 collecting community. :wnana:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Onward fellow programs

Now go build something... Even if it's just a lego mg42

Later 42rocker
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Salt 6 - Steve - has been so much help during my short time here. Been busy with the things that make up living and have been away for awhile. But DerAlder is right, I NEVER could have completed my first build without reading the stickies and build posts from the first members. They, like Salt6, broke the ground for us to follow. John Baum is a great guy and I'm sure he'll do Steve and the rest of us proud in his shepherdship of this site and it's members. Best of luck to you Steve.
Ratiasu
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Ratiasu »

Despite being only a fairly recent member with only a few posts, I can say that this website has been a great source of (actual) help AND information - a gem of a website despite its niche nature. Good job.
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

God Bless you Salt6, on the other side of the world, and thank you for this great site........and, what a magnificent successor to run things here, John Baum.
.....John Baum is set up at the MG Shoot at Knob Creek Rg every six months, and keeps us german WWII re-enactors straight with his advice rooted in historical fact, and his translated german manuals.
...continue the mission!
bh
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

take care salt and good luck---thanks for the board all these years
waffen :)