Motorcycle Adventures

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Motorcycle Adventures

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

This is what I did with my new motorcycle a few weeks ago.

I got it stuck. Then I got it out again by flipping it into the cylinder head and rotating it so it faced in the direction LEAVING the swamp. This is a new to me 2003 R1150GS Adventure with 115,000 miles on it, and I bought it to USE it... a lot. I was happily riding a ridge of solid mud when I noticed the road ended in water 1/8 mile ahead, and realized I had no place to turn around. The grassy ground on my right turned out to be soft bog, and you can see what the left side looks like after the ATV's got done with it.

It was tough because the semi-solid ground was only 2' wide, I was alone, and and pushing my newbie skills to the max, and had to lift the bike three times with a full tank of gas (48 lbs. worth). I managed to bench press the machine back up the final time, and walk the machine out onto firmer ground in 1st gear. After 10 minutes of panting like a race horse, I was just rested enough to lift my leg over the bike and ride out of there. This is a victory, because I managed to get out by myself without a tank recovery vehicle, and learned a valuable lesson in the process. :clap

This is the Red Top trail in central Minnesota about 4 weeks ago... I guess it's not dry enough yet...

Safely back in the shop after a ride around Mille Lacs Lake...

I haven't been riding the BMW for more than a year and am just starting to get some good offroad experience with it. Some of you out there might know a thing or two about WWII vintage motorcycles. All of my riding experience up until now has been on a 1944 DKW NZ-350/1, and I trained on a 1939 DKW 3PS. The new BMW can do a LOT more than the under powered old 1930's style machines can. This is me with NZ-350/1 below:

Here is the 1939 DKW 3PS. I was the SECOND owner since the war.

I'm looking for anyone from the Minneapolis/St/Paul area who wants to ride out to Yellowstone National Park via Black Hills, SD this summer. I need a vacation, and the BMW is just the machine to do it with.

Gruβ aus Minnesota!

Kurt
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Re: Motorcycle Adventures

Post by Der Alder »

:photos:

I love that 1944 DKW NZ-350/1, very nice.