earth

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
2receivers
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

earth

Post by 2receivers »

Oil has been being drilled for centuries @ a rate of roughly 1,000'000 bbls./day .did ya ever wonder how big that void is in the center of planet earth? If planet earth ever experienced an earthquake of hugh proportions all the oceans water may disappear in this void ------------just thinking outloud
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: earth

Post by JBaum »

Centuries? Hardly. The first oil well was drilled in Pennsylvania in 1859. Automobiles weren't getting common until the mid 1920's. Before that, crude oil was refined for kerosene for kerosene lamps, gasoline was dumped because it was an unwanted by product of making kerosene.

So, millions of years of making swamps that turned into oil, and 50 years of slight production, 50 years of increased production, and another 50 years of current production rates. With what has already been discovered and the rate of use today, we're good for another 140 years. In the meantime, the rate of use will slow, and new oil will be discovered, so I'd guess the presently known oil will last us another 200 years.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

"Earth" I understand your concern but like "Jbaum" points out we have likely just scratched the surface. The Earth is somewhere around 4.5 billion years old, granted for a while it was merely a molten ball of semi-solids and gas but still there were hundreds of millions of years of fossil fuel being created. Just watch the ground "grow" along the side of a static piece of farm machinery in a fallow field over the course of a decade.

Nonetheless we need a better way, Germany is pi**ing all over our enfeebled attempts to break the fetters with the entrenched interests of big energy (as well as other industries). The Fatherland, (or "the land of chocolate"-Homer) is not known for their sunny climate but according to Reuters as of May 2012 they are making huge strides every year increasing solar output and using other renewables. Just think, originally Dr. Diesel's engine could run on pure peanut oil.

However it is easier and more lucrative for US-Multi-National corporations to "influence" a few politicians and have the tax/trade/banking codes lean in their favor, rather than do what is best for America. If every citizen had to endure a Valley Forge winter, maybe we could put things in perspective, get focused, disband the deleterious political parties (like President George Washington warned of), and wrest our country from the brink of utter failure.

Now I have to go harpoon a whale so I can get my lamps running again :lol: :lol: :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

2receivers wrote:Oil has been being drilled for centuries @ a rate of roughly 1,000'000 bbls./day .did ya ever wonder how big that void is in the centre of planet earth? If planet earth ever experienced an earthquake of huge proportions all the oceans water may disappear in this void ------------just thinking outloud

No need to worry about big man made voids underground. The oil/gas is trapped between 2 layers of impermeable rock and between these 2 layers is a layer of permeable rock e.g. sandstone that is saturated with oil. When the initial pressure that the oil is under drops it then becomes necessary to use hot water or similar fluid to get the pressure back up so oil can be extracted. The amount of oil still in a dead oil field is truly staggering and it is mainly increased extraction efficiencies that are boosting stated reserves.

If you want to worry about the ground opening up then I would be more concerned about coal mines. That stuff has been dug out of the ground for centuries and where I live in the UK is living on a Swiss cheese and houses do drop into massive holes caused by the mines!
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
2receivers
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by 2receivers »

Howdy longhorn-----------yea that's what I was talking about- these gigantic voids in the earth's substrata??
Forgot about these coal mines etc. Maybe that's why planet earth has sink
holes cccurring.==================just a thought
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

In Fla we get sink holes all of the time due to the amount of water that they take out.

Later 42rocker
KABAR2
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by KABAR2 »

2receivers wrote:Howdy longhorn-----------yea that's what I was talking about- these gigantic voids in the earth's substrata??
Forgot about these coal mines etc. Maybe that's why planet earth has sink
holes cccurring.==================just a thought
the voids are easy to fill and will create more oil.... dump tree huggers into them...... See even I believe in recycling.....