gurtfuller for maxim

oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

gurtfuller for maxim

Post by oprod »

hey fellas, ima has a few gurtfullers for sale. these only come up once in a blue moon it seems. the prices are decent in my opinion. I ordered one of everything they had and am planning on making the accessories i do not have. have a complete kit from a friend now that i put the borrow on. and am in the process of making some of the parts and pices. i will be making dovetailed wood boxes as were the originals, i will be making the "knife to open up the belts. Hopefully i will come up with a way to replace the drum or at least put the pins back in to make these feed belts instead of aluminum links again, we will have to study that one a bit. Mabey drill and tap the pin locations so that the pins can be removable... best of both worlds?
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: gurtfuller for maxim

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Sounds nice!

I think I saw Glen write somewhere that these loaders were for the Metal links only.

Either way I can not afford one right now. Not a bad price, esp for IMA. Hope you ordered the handselect as its always worth it.

Post some pictures when it comes in, Please.

The repro drag straps should be 3-4 weeks before they are ready to be shipped.
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

Ok got a hard look at the machine today and decided that it is probably best jujst to keep it as a turkish belt loader. I plan to make 3 to 5 boxes though. The problem I'm having is overcoming the remanufacture of the drum which in itself will cost about a 3rd of the machine. The loader is also m/issing necessary gear that turns knife. Too much time spent for too little return.
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Hello chaps - good to be back again. I am looking for a complete original set (Imperial German WWI) example with all the tools but would be keen to know the US market price for one? Anyone know what the going rate is for one or what price the last one sold for?
Huge thanks,
Mark
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Hi Mark! Welcome Back!

Yep I have one of the IMA loaders also, they're in fantastic shape, but were converted years ago to be loaders for the Turkish alum. belts, and a lot of stuff was yanked off of them when they did that. I use mine to load the turkish belts, it works fantastically well for that, it's the fastest loader I have. If you can use the turkish belts, this is the loader to get!

Mark I bought one some (7?) years ago over here for $1900 in the case with all the accessories, but since then, I'm not sure I've seen a complete set for sale. I've seen one for sale a little while back, but I don't think it was complete, I'll have to look around. :D

I know they aren't cheap, but I haven't seen one for sale at all in a bit, actually. :(
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

I sold an 08 loader with box and all tools, with the box being is fair to good condition for $1300 in the winter and have another that is in less good condition but all there and perfectly fucntional that I am offering for $1000.
In my experience, of the sets I've seen over the years, the loaders usually are in good to excellent condition and perfeclty functional, but the chests suffer as do the wooden holders for the tools. Of course, sometimes one or more of the tools are missing, the canvas handles can be torn or missing, box corners needing gluing, etc.
An exceptional set might reach $2500, and there are some out there.
Anyone interested in an interwar MG08 feedblock set up with the switch for MG34/42 belts?

Later,

Bob
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

bmg17a1 wrote: Anyone interested in an interwar MG08 feedblock set up with the switch for MG34/42 belts?

Later,

Bob
Bob, Yes! I will email you. I have something for you too.
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

Bob, is this not the loader I emailed you about last wednesday about. While discussing the springs on the mg08/15 action arms? Are you still planning on sending me photos?

Also if imblitzvt declines on the o8 feedblock conversion please let me know on price. :wnana:
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

Oprod: I don't know who you are, so I don't know if I e-mailed you pics of the loader or not.....sorry, I get too many e-mails and need to know real names rather than internet handles. Post me at bmg17a1@gmail.com and I'll return some pics. I don't use this site very much and perfer to communicate over my e-mail address.

The MG08 interwar feedlbock belongs to another collector who is interested in selling it, and price is $1500.

Bob
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Oprod, I passed on the feedblock. Have fun with it if you want it. Thanks for letting us know about it, Bob.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Bob, you emailed me about the feedblock, and I appreciate that, but I'll step back and let Oprod pick it up. :***:
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

yeeeowwww!!! that one feedblock would equivalent to one 1/12 of what i payed for the whole gun! :puk:

Me thinks master Bob needs to build us some reproductions! :cheer: yea go!!!
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

meanwhile, i got all my goodies from IMA. they were as reported. the loader is in nice condition. I would like to surmise the following and mabey bob or someone can lend support or lend critisism to my supposition.

My loader does not have the second set of holes required ffor the pins to run the belts. the pins were not knocked off or filed down, they are not there. The paint on my loader matches perfectly to the north african early (1938 to 1942) khaki tan... has a lot of green in it. It seems to be the original paint color as there is none to be seen below it. The numbers throughout the assembely are horribly mismatched. The loader lookes not much used. there is still paint in evidence in the hopper. the area ao attachment points to the wall bracket are heavily worn. So i wonder if the loader was not a ww2 manufacture? When did turks start making aluminum belts? Was this between the wars?
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

OK I will report on the ima double barrel carrier as well. this made for the mgo8 only has one stamp on it, it appears to be imperial, but im not real sure. The color is a light forest green shade. not the yugo apple green though! The carrier was never repainted and the paint was not applied with a brush. The carrier appears to be unissued. the strap is canvass and is quite old. Dont know if this thing is ww1 or ww2. now im wondering if this color is the right one for my sled???
I can not pick between the light grey, the grey green, or the olive green or the light forest green for the sled, rats!
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Hi Oprod!

I too have one of the Belt loaders that IMA is now selling, that I got from them
some years ago. I love it!

It started out life as a standard
German 1916 pattern belt loader, and is not WWII, but WWI. Just like yours, though, mine has been modified by the Turks to load the metal belts that they made and used in their 08 maxims. They
will no longer load cloth belts, if they are like this.

On mine, there is a added piece on the front side of the drum that the belt
loads on, and a set of the studs has been taken off, all the way
around. This is to fit the metal belts. On mine, the
entire assembly to open the belt pockets, the spoon assembly that
comes out of the body of the loader to insert in the cloth belt, and
then twist to open it, has been removed.

These are really excellent loaders to load the metal belts that IMA
also sells. Thats what they were redone for, these are the loaders the
Turks used with those belts! They started out as German cloth belt
loaders, but aren't now.

IF you get some of the metal belts, and use these with them, you'll
love them. Mine works really well, and is really fast with the metal belts.

Glen
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

oprod wrote:OK I will report on the ima double barrel carrier as well. this made for the mgo8 only has one stamp on it, it appears to be imperial, but im not real sure. The color is a light forest green shade. not the yugo apple green though! The carrier was never repainted and the paint was not applied with a brush. The carrier appears to be unissued. the strap is canvass and is quite old. Dont know if this thing is ww1 or ww2. now im wondering if this color is the right one for my sled???
I can not pick between the light grey, the grey green, or the olive green or the light forest green for the sled, rats!

So can you describe the mark or stamp on the carrier? Are there doors on both ends of the carrier?
I've been thinking of getting one of these...
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

Yep doors on both ends. I cannot describe the mark because I cannot see it well enough as it is under the paint and was a light stoke to begin with.,
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

FYI, the interwar MG08 feedblock has been sold.

As far as "repros" of the interwar feedblock, the parts are simple and could be made with some effort, and the modification to the feedblock is not complex. Certainly a job that anyone with decent tool skills could make for their own feedblock, but not something that is really worth investing time and money in as a commercial endeavor.

Bob Naess
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

bmg17a1 wrote:FYI, the interwar MG08 feedblock has been sold.

As far as "repros" of the interwar feedblock, the parts are simple and could be made with some effort, and the modification to the feedblock is not complex. Certainly a job that anyone with decent tool skills could make for their own feedblock, but not something that is really worth investing time and money in as a commercial endeavor.

Bob Naess

You have no idea how much the news that someone bought that cheered me up! It means the economy may actually be on the mend.... :D

Thats really cool, I would seriously love to have one of these. I'd love to have the bipod attachment for the interwar 08/15 too, the one that allows you to put the bipod on the front.
oprod
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by oprod »

In the process of making 5 reproduction gurtfuller boxes. Hardwood dovetailed box construction with pine and hardwood internal dividers,blocks etc. Got a great color m/atch off an original box as well as the lettering for a stencil. Planning on using the 1917 browning latch system as it is pretty close. Anyone here interested?