Modernized German Maxim - The Chinese T24

IMBLITZVT
General
General

Modernized German Maxim - The Chinese T24

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Well I just got myself a Chinese Tripod for the T24 Chinese Maxim. Its awesome! Its got lots of the stuff that the Germans added post war. Its got transverse locks, Elevation locks and lot more. I like it a lot more then the Finnish tripod. Anyway, I am almost done the parts kit, just have three more items to buy that a guy it holding, waiting for me to get the cash. Then its will be complete. I will probably turn it into a semi. Glen, I could use that adaptor you have if you ever choose to sell it! I think with that, the MG08 would fit right on this mount! I also have a repro Sled mount top strap in the mail to me now!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/phiteshe/ChineseTripod1.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/phiteshe/ChienseTripod.jpg
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: Modernized German Maxim - The Chinese T24

Post by www.Prussia.us »

VERY COOOOL,

That would be an outstanding candidate for semi, would Russian internals work using the 7.62 x 54R???
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Well, the gun was originally 8mm BUT after the Commies got it, they coverted it to 7.62. So I have the lock in 7.62 and will be getting the 7.62 feedblock shortly. Then I will need to get a 7.62 barrel and I am good to go. I will probably leave it in 7.62 as I am guessing that will become the cheap round as the 8mm surplus dies away.
www.Prussia.us wrote:VERY COOOOL,

That would be an outstanding candidate for semi, would Russian internals work using the 7.62 x 54R???
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Wow, very nice matt!

Thats a neat tripod, and the gun is a neat one too. It's too bad the commies conversion isn't any nicer looking than it is, is it? I swear, the 8mm to 7.62 Type 24 maxim conversion was done by some definately not concerned about aesthetics people! I am shocked at what they did to the barrels, but perhaps it worked?
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

The chinese gun is really the next step from the german one though I suppose its german anyway due to the DWM design work. The chinese guns are actually 1909 Maxims rather than the 08's of the german military. The locks are different being shorter top to bottom and headspaceable like the russian locks. The feedblock can be swapped with the 08 and I believe the internals from either the 1910 or the 1908 will fit as the recoil plates are the same dimensionally. The one big development on the type 24/1909 maxim is the squeeze grip trigger setup which can be operated from either side. It is the system that the germans would have gone to had the maxims been continued into WWII. In fact there are a couple examples of 08's modified interwar with the squeezers. The 1909's have a shorter receiver top to bottom with the front bottom corner taken out for about 2 inches from the front and a half inch or so in height. That is why the lock is shorter. As noted previously the chinese guns were originally made in 8mm but modified to 54R later. The feedblocks were modified by changing the spring in the front of the feedway to push the shorter 54R round back where it could be picked up by the extractor. The spring at the rear of the feedblock that normally caught the extractor groove of the 8mm was ground flat and shortened slightly to index the rim of the 54R. The rear of the feedway was also slightly opened up to clear the larger 54R rim. It would be possible to make and install new springs for the 8mm if that was desired but its much easier to just swap in your 08 feedblock. The 54R barrels were normally made by cutting off the original 8mm barrel just in front of the packing groove, boring the stump out and then installing a 54R barrel in the stump locked in place by 2 pins through the sides of the trunnion. The extractor grooves were opened up slightly to clear the 54R extractor. With an 8mm lock or at least the extractor (which would need some modification to work in the 09 type lock) it is possible to simply swap an 08 barrel and feedblock into the gun and hammer away with 8mm. The chinese were really the last to put the maxim into production though the Russians and swiss made them through the end of WWII. The Swiss guns were also the 1909 model and designated by them as the MG11 having adopted it in 1911.
The type 24's are really fantastic guns and very underappreciated. Enjoy the toys Matt.

Frank
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by alpencorps »

found a nice example,
Part-Set / Non firing Gun..
Attachments
Links Z.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

alpencorps wrote:found a nice example,
Part-Set / Non firing Gun..
Nice setup! Actually looks in good condition as these Chinese guns took a lot of abuse. Is it in 7.62 or 8mm?
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by alpencorps »

its to 7,62x54R converted Set,
gun and Tripod are in good shape.