Just bought a 1918 DWM Luger...

MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Just bought a 1918 DWM Luger...

Post by MauserMatt »

I picked this well "characterized" Luger up today at the fun show.. It was about the only good deal I found out there... It's definitely an interesting piece... It's OOZING history!!

Anyway, on to the details.... It's a 1918 DWM with all matching numbers and no import mark. Pitted pretty much throughout the exterior of the weapon.. Mechanically works excellent!! I shot it today after the show and it was only firing single shot, so I cleaned it thoroughly and hopefully tomorrow when I take it out it will be 100%, or close to it.

What I found was most interesting is it has a Nazi eagle and Swastika on the rear of the pistol just above the, I guess, "lanyard loop".

It came with, I believe, a repro mag and grips that are so worn they're about to fall off! It also fails the bullet test if that tell you how good the bore looks...

BUT!! It's my dream pistol... I've always wanted one and now I have it. I'm happy that it will be a nice shooter that has so much history in it. I can't wait to see how well it performs now that it's clean...

Here's some pics! Any info would be great!! I spotted two instances of the German Imperial Eagle on the barrel and on the slide. The serial number is 672r.

Yep..... She'll fit in nicely with the other kids...... :mrgreen:
~Matt
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Just bought a 1918 DWM Luger...

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

If it's not shooting correctly yet, first thing to try changing is the magazine. Buy a Mekgar Luger magazine for $25.00 and use that. Mekgar's mags work even better than the originals by all accounts. If it does not work after that, check back with us for further help and describe in detail the symptoms. (I have a couple Lugers too, a 1940 S/42 and a 1916 Artillery, and some other guys here also know the Luger well, too).
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Matt,
That is a nice family portrait, your new Luger fits right in :D

Regarding technical support with Lugers, I know only enough to be dangerous, so I will withhold any comments on that topic, but I am happy for your addition.

I much enjoy the guns with character that have been “there” furthermore you can enjoy it. Collecting “fine” guns can be like having collectable bottles of wine, yes they are impressive, increase in value, and look super nice but can you take them out into the field, shot, and just enjoy them, without feeling guilty? :lol:

Great tip on the Mekgar mags DA.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Why would you want to shoot at your wine collection?? :? The Luger looks good,I also like the stuff with 'character'. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Bil, what else can you do with half-consumed bottles of NightTrain and Two-Buck Chuck :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should say, I meant to say "shoot" instead of "shot" I gotta stop huffing that paint :lol:

Matt,

Have you thought about getting the barrel re-done or just enjoying it in its current configuration?
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
H_Waffenfabrik

Post by H_Waffenfabrik »

MauserMatt wrote: Image

Yep..... She'll fit in nicely with the other kids...... :mrgreen:
You bet.......that is one helluva pic and congrats on your find :mrgreen: