Spandau 08/15 Aircraft Gun

www.Prussia.us
General
General

Spandau 08/15 Aircraft Gun

Post by www.Prussia.us »

As a WW1 aviation buff this has always been one my favorite works of art. Does anyone remember seeing one of these for sale in a while?

It is a little out of my price range unless I sold both kidneys and maybe a part of my liver but for some lucky dog this is an awesome opportunity.

I had to e-mail the seller out of pure curiosity and for less than what an Mg42 (FA) goes for it could be out the door……….if only I hit that damn Powerball

http://www.atfmachinegun.com/atfmachinegun.htm
Attachments
spandau.01.jpg
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: Spandau 08/15 Aircraft Gun

Post by IMBLITZVT »

None Matching.... I would not pay more than about $8k. They will generally sell for a good bit less than the MG08/15 because its going to over heat quickly without the rush of cold wind moving past it. That is unless you have a plane to put it on. I have a parts kit of one that I got a little while ago:

www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

IMBLITZVT,

That is F**king sweet, OUTSTANDING! No MG is more beautiful than that make.

What is the year, was it made at Spandau?

I just figured given the low numbers of German aircraft produced, relative to allied production, that there were not many of these aviation-grade 08/15’s made. Then the few that were ever imported to the US, had to winnow the number down to just a handful, and even less that survived to be registered in 1986.

So basically these parts kits surface from time to time, yes?

Are you working on semi-mods for it?
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

That is F**king sweet, OUTSTANDING! No MG is more beautiful than that make.
What is the year, was it made at Spandau?

Thanks, its a mostly matching kit except the top cover. Its a very eary top cover #395 I think. The rest of the gun is 422b I think. That puts it in the last months of the war and on a Fokker DVII. Yeah, all LMG08/15 were made at Spandau.

I just figured given the low numbers of German aircraft produced, relative to allied production, that there were not many of these aviation-grade 08/15’s made. Then the few that were ever imported to the US, had to winnow the number down to just a handful, and even less that survived to be registered in 1986.

True but they do not work very well in the ground role so they are often back up for sale... Plus the average cost of a MG08/15 is only about $10K working down to $8.5K at the low end... so I figure a non-matching gun should be worth less if its a LMG.

So basically these parts kits surface from time to time, yes?

Nope not really.... just dumn and I mean dumb luck. A guy was selling parts and I bought them all... so he tossed the receiver and jacket in for $25.00!!! I guess he did not know... But I have one of a very very few LMG parts kits out there.

Are you working on semi-mods for it?
Well I am waiting to see how the 1910s do... then when mine is done, I will get on this LMG. I need to get my welder up and going before anything else... but yeah it should happen!
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

That is amazing, I am sure you know the Fokker D VII was such a phenomenal aircraft its destruction was specifically called for in the Peace Treaty. I am glad you found it and gave it a nice home. It is scary to think but if the seller was willing to part with the receiver and jacket for only $25, then by the grace of God he could have just as easily thrown them away. I had a cousin who was a garbage man, the stuff he brought home was amazing.

IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

www.Prussia.us wrote:It is scary to think but if the seller was willing to part with the receiver and jacket for only $25, then by the grace of God he could have just as easily thrown them away. I had a cousin who was a garbage man, the stuff he brought home was amazing.
Actually its only slightly lucky. He did cut and crush the back of the trunnion and the bottom and both sideplates! When I found out he still had them, I told him to go get them out of the trash!!! I am still trying to get the screws out of his screw collection... I told him I wanted to buy every screw he had just so I can get the originals for this gun! The trunnion was a total lose... I am going to cut another and weld them just back from barrel... but it will add a lot more work... I had to get a new legal side and bottom plate for it...etc.

Check the other MG08 forum for pictures. This forum is really for the MG15 not the MG08/15... it will probably get moved.
NOTTSGUNS
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by NOTTSGUNS »

I RECENTLY PURCHASED AN LMG08/15. MISSING SEVERAL EXTERNAL PARTS. NEED THE LARGE COCKING LEVER AND COG, THE BRASS FIRING MECHANISM, SAFETY CATCH, AND ROUND COUNTER. WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR ANY OF THOSE BITS. ANDREW
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Andrew,

IMBLITZVT
Matt
phiteshe@vt.edu

thats all me. You PMed me on the 1919a4.com board too. I can repost some pictures.
Laserlloyd

Post by Laserlloyd »

www.Prussia.us,

Are you looking for a LMG 08/15 still. I know someone that might be able to point you to one.

Lloyd...
Francois7

Post by Francois7 »

Hello my friends over there,
I'm having a Fokker DR1 and I'm buying at the moment a pair of replica from Repligun of the Spandaus LMG 08/15.
But I still would like to find a real one to put on a stand in my Home and dream about the fights it should have known with a young pilot behind...
I just saw that you know some one who may have one for sale.
Could you help me and tell me a bit more about it ?
Thank you very much for you kind help,
Francois
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Hello,

All the LMGs we were talking about are in the US. That can not be exported to Europe. For some reason LMGs are very hard to find in Europe, much more so then in the US. I am guessing that most don't hit the open market. About the only store that I know of that deals in Maxims in Europe is Daniel with Premium Militaria. He is a very good guy to deal with. http://www.premium-militaria.de/

What else would you like to know about it?

I would suggest getting a copy of "The Devils Paintbrush" by Goldsmith. He has an great section on LMGs with lots of detail and its a great book to begin with!

MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Francois email when you can I am in Belgium. There are many places to pick up an aircraft MG but they are not cheap. I would like to offer further recomendations with a wider and differing range of prices!!!! There are a number of dealers this side of the Atlantic including France who may choose to help.
The US collectors have great access to many pieces but I think there is some merit in a 1920's Civil Service privately written book (I guess the original Home Office at the time) about the attitudes to the end of the Great War in 1918. In short despite some well fought and high casualty battles, the US in 1918 were still relatively fresh, very 'enthusuastic' and very ready to continue the fight. This would probably explain to a degree the enthusiasm and novelty value to take back significant amounts of war trophies from Europe. UK and Commonwealth on the other hand were after 4 years and many disasters war weary nearly bankrupt and exhausted, therefore the desire to 'preserve' was obviously not as great. This is not a criticism of anybody or anything but I think it may illuminate the motivation by various nations, plus the fact 1938 to 1940 UK was melting down huge amounts of surplus museum material to assist the war effort and defend the island. However the good news there is still tons of ''stuff'' literally in France and Belgium not least becasue those nations suffered the conflicts on their soil. Great twins Matt.
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
Laserlloyd

Post by Laserlloyd »

Sorry for the delay in responding. My friend does have the world largest collections of Spandau LMG 08/15's but is not selling any of his. He might know who is selling. I think there is one in Canada but getting it out will be near impossible.

As far as book The Devils PaintBrush by Dolf. The chapter on the LMG is based on my friends research and I think he wrote the chapter too or part of it , Dolf does credits him in the book.

Lloyd...
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Lloyd who is this chap who has such a collection? Is he on this Forum?............and if not why not :>)
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Mark, you know who it is. Dave W.
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Does David Watts have an email address and could someone encourage him to join this forum?
I have some LMG questions.
1. was the LMG08/15 ever fitted with the stock, whilst in the air? the Imperial War Museum has one, but with the stock!
2. What ammo belt did it use?
3. Where can I get an LMG?
4. Where can we get the round foresights?
5. Finally where can I get the gun??? :D
mark
AlanSmith
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by AlanSmith »

I was recently very fortunate to acquire LMG 08/15 #7379a (1918 SPANDAU) to add to my collection.
Attachments
IMG_4805.JPG
AlanSmith
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by AlanSmith »

Here is a better view of the LMG 08/15, as incorporated into my display area.
Attachments
IMG_4801.JPG
AlanSmith
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by AlanSmith »

Business end of LMG 08/15. The front sight is a reproduction.
Attachments
IMG_4818.JPG
AlanSmith
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by AlanSmith »

Markings and SN on top cover. Thanks and I hope everyone enjoyed this small contribution to a great thread.
Attachments
IMG_4814.JPG