K98 sniper replica optics and mount options?

PvtJoker

K98 sniper replica optics and mount options?

Post by PvtJoker »

OK; I just bought a K98 DUV 41 RC rifle, and I am wanting to build a sniper replica out of it. What scopes and mounts would be correct for this? I know I've seen them as ZF41s before, but I was thinking more about perhaps one of the repro scope and side rail mounts like Coles sales, or maybe a turret setup from Iron Elite? I just want to get something that, while not original, at least replicates what should have been available in 1941 and on a DUV, and I'm not big on the ZF41 forward mounted rigs.
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Re: K98 sniper replica optics and mount options?

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

i saw a scope mounting system where it atacts to the sight so you dont have to drill holes. its not %100 origanal like but it looks origanal enough and you dont have to damage your k98
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

or if you want to drill hole as i would then search on ebay
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

I used one of the scope mounts you are talking about, the one that replaces the rear sight and love it. It doesn't modify the original and allows me to use a scout scope, which I like better, old eyes.
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

does it look athentic. maby something i should do.
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mauser-GEW-YUGO-Sco ... dZViewItem

can you put a origanal type scope on one of these?
propos

Post by propos »

The ZF41 scope and mount was mounted over the rear sight. It didn't replace the rear sight but the location would be the same with one of the scout scope type mounts. I had one on an Isreali 98K I had years ago. They work pretty good. Put a long eye relief scope in the mount and you'll be good to go.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Absolutely not. I did it to use the gun. The mount is made by B-Square and was around $60. I don't think I would like to take a historic scope out into the woods, unless I was a re-enactor.

I did just buy an laminate stock with matching numbers on the metal components to replace the RC stock.

I use my rifle on groundhogs and other pests.
Attachments
98k.jpg
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

i have 4 of them and would like to make one "cool" was thinking of a repo ww2 scope not origanal.
propos

Post by propos »

smoggle wrote:Absolutely not. I did it to use the gun. The mount is made by B-Square and was around $60. I don't think I would like to take a historic scope out into the woods, unless I was a re-enactor.

I did just buy an laminate stock with matching numbers on the metal components to replace the RC stock.

I use my rifle on groundhogs and other pests.
I don't think that I made myself clear. Use the B-Square scope mount and a new scope, not an original ZF41 scope and mount. Ist das nun klar?
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Well, I was planning on building a low turret replica which, as best as I can find, would be appropriate for a 1941 DUV as an armorer/arsenal built gun using a vintage Kahles scope that I am supposed to get in touch with a guy about next week. So I about make up my mind to do that, and guess what gets pointed out to me on another forum? My mixmaster DUV 41 is sitting in a ZF41 stock already... I don't think it's an original ZF41-K98k, as the stock number doesn't match the receiver and the sight base on it doesn't have the rail made into the side of it. But that does pose the question of do I try to build it as a ZF41 (which would also be correct for a DUV in 1941) or do I just get a regular stock, sell the ZF41 version, and use that towards helping offset some of the price of the scope and turret mounts? :lol:

I wonder what a ZF41 stock goes for these days? I hate to get rid of it in one way, as I put a bit of effort getting the RC shellac mess off and the wood looks nice. But it would look a little silly to have a turret sniper with a ZF41 stock, now wouldn't it? Thing is; I just don't care for the little 1.5X scout scope. WAY too expensive and no repros out there of that one, and for the money, it doesn't look like it would be too effective as an aide in sighting. Besides, someone who IS trying to restore a ZF41-K98k might really need this stock to complete their restoration, whereas mine being a replica has a bit more "leeway" in what I choose to put on it. I still want it to appear and function as a period-accurate example, but we all know that is not an original sniper.
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Well, what I finally went with is a short side rail type 3 mount that was made by Igor, and one of the replica Zielvier scopes from the Ukraine. I'll post some pictures once I get it mounted.
weasel_master
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by weasel_master »

Mind if I ask you the total cost of the setup minus the rifle?
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Don't mind a bit. :D

1941 DUV K98k RC with replica sling (one of the nice TG Knox imports) $325
Short side rail mount replica made by Igor (bought from an eBay auction) $350
Ukrainian-made Zielvier replica scopes (from eBay auction) $207.50
Checkered buttplate from IO on eBay $15.50
Sniper safety from IO on eBay $41.50
Capture screws from eBay $3.99

Having a shootable, nice clean replica of a WWII German sniper rifle- PRICELESS!!! :mrgreen:

So far, I've got $943.49 in it not including shipping on the parts. I still have to drill and tap the reciever and probably refinish the wood, which I'm hoping my gunsmith buddy will help me out with. Some of the parts I got cheaper than retail by shopping the auction circuit, like the mount. I bought it from a guy who bought it from Igor; I think Igor sells them for $375 normally, and the scope (which was far nicer than I had anticipated) sells at Coles for $300. Same with IO's parts; refer to their website for retail prices on them. And I traded the stock the RC rifle came with (a somewhat rough ZF41 stock) even on a really nice regular one to help out a friend with his ZF41 project (Mine had the stock, but not the mount and was not an original ZF41- his was, and I wanted a nicer peice of wood for mine, so he bought my current stock in exchange for my ZF41 stock, so that was a wash and not included in the above pricing) I had originally thought of going the turret route, but the idea of having to disassemble the scope to mount it made me hesitate, and the SSR type 3 version should also be period-correct for my 1941 rifle (I *think* it is, from what I've found online, anyway) Plus, three holes and a little solder is a LOT easier to tackle, and the scope dismounts for safer transporting. All things to consider.

So for less than a grand, I'll have a pretty decent replica of an early sniper rifle that, being a Russian capture, might well have actually been at Stalingrad; albiet not in its current form. It'll look nice with my MG-42 semi, my wartime Walther PP and my 1939 42 Luger, and yet I can still enjoy taking it out shooting without worry of breaking a numbers-matching high-dollar original (that I really can't afford anyway :lol: ). Hope that helps in your planning.
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

how does one get in touch with Igor??
Never give a sucker an even break, unless that sucker can break you in even halves!
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0162669988

Just check his current auctions, and ask him a question through one of those.