Should I buy a G43 for $900

Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Should I buy a G43 for $900

Post by Demontrooper »

I saw a G43 missing the top of the hand guard (but otherwise great firing condition) for $900 at a local gunshow. If I see it again, should I buy it? Is it a bargain price? I am not hot for a G43, but if it is cheap, might as well buy one now...
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

HELLUVA bargain! You can get a repro foreguard to fill the hole. Just be sure to disassemble and inspect the rear end of the bolt carrier for cracks, and the receiver just behind that for distortion.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Dan@AngolaArmory

Post by Dan@AngolaArmory »

That is VERY short money for a G43, but be sure to inspect it closely.
Dan
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Yeah I agree its a bargain, but how much do they cost these days? Even if it's missing some replaceable parts (like the handguard) then I can just buy those.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Average price for a G/K43 intact, even stock mismatched, is $2200-$2500.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Be sure it is safe to shoot. If it don't go bang you will be putting a lot of money into it. And you don't want it to go BOOM either.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

HOLY CRAP! That much?! I'm definately buying the damned thing when I see it. And it was in perfect firing condition; not a rusted or even pitted up old thing. The condition of the metal and wood looked like a "good condition surplus SKS", so it is ok.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

You better do a little research on G/K43's BEFORE you buy, or you will end up with a lemon or JUNK. Take the time to learn WHY this rifle is so CHEAP. It's A RED FLAG that usually means trouble. Isthe stock ORIGINAL? That's the first question. Are ALL the parts WWII German and marked properly? If you don't do your homework, you're setting yourself up for an expensive disappointment. Role call: How many of you guys out there have been taken because you leaped before you looked? I did once once or twice, but luckily not seriously as far as money lost. But repairs took a lot to make what I bought workable.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Lol Darivs, I know about getting ripped off. My welcome to militaria collecting was when I was 15 years old, and I paid $300 for a East German uniform that was worth about $20. Yes I know that a replica stock costs about $400, and also, this gun looks like anything but a lemon or junk... it's not laying under a pile of old Mosin Nagants and Turkish mausers. The dealer had it displayed as a German G43 and thats it. I can check the whole gun before I buy it; and I know what to look for. Of course I will check for Waffen markings etc (and I know that those can b fake too). Besides, who makes complete firing G43's? The Yugoslavians? The only dealer who makes new parts for the G43 (as I know) is that guy from G43.com (or something like that).
Last edited by Demontrooper on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerstripe

Post by Tigerstripe »

I agree, seems kinda low for such a collectable especially seeing that the seller knows what it is - if it was a little grey haired lady at a yard sale I would be more inclined to understand the low price. Do your homework first - but do it quick cause that could be the deal of a lifetime. (seldom will you find firearms, especially collectables at 50% below value)

I remember years ago when I purchased an M1 carbine at a local gunshow only to get home and discover that it wasn't an official U.S. rifle from WWII but rather a post war Alpine brand. Not collectable and also not in very good shape. I later sold it at a loss. It was an expensive education on M1 carbines.

Then there was the time I bought a Japanese Arisaka with a sporterized stock. Decided I would buy a cheap Jap stock to drop it into and have a fine example of a Pacific theatre battle rifle. Started searching and found out that everyone's looking for Japanese stocks and they're about as common as mermaids and unicorns. Oh and it turns out that my rifle, even though it has the mum intact, is a last ditch piece that has almost no value whatsoever to collectors. I much more prepared these days to recognize a truly collectable Japanese rifle but it came at a cost also.

What is the lesson learned? Try always to be at least as knowledgeable about a firearm as the seller is - in both of the above cases I wasn't. The great deals usually come when you know more than the seller does about a gun.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

But I am utterly intrigued as to how a G43 could possible be worth less than 900 dollars? Even if it was beaten up and rusted shut into a display peice, it would still be worth about that much. If it was a complete replica G43 that shot 8mm, or even if it was one of the Japanese Model guns, it would still be worth over $900. Fake stock? The complete bolt alone is worth $200. A new made stock is worth $400 (without the top handguard). The sling is over $100. I just do not get what can be so dangerous about buying it for $900 (and for all of your helpful info, I will definately buy it if I see it again).
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

G43 purchase

Post by ChrisPCook »

Slam it for 900$! As for comments that it is too cheap??? Well, yes, but sometimes deals pop up, this past Janurary I picked up a K43 DUV44 (rare code), for 750$ with 3 mags at a gunshow....the stock had been cut a little in the rear and a rubber buttpad added, but the metal was perfect, the stock looks much better now with a spliced in section and a K98 buttplate over that. Mags are going in the 200$ range at times on epay, so I did OK. Chris.....
I am still kicking myself over the G33/40 I saw just about 1.5 yr ago for 500$, came back to the table in less than 2 minutes after looking at it, and it was gone. Sometimes deals are out there! Chris..... :evil:
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Oh stop complaining you spoiled brat! I will be complaining (because that gun has got to be sold by now!) after the next show. Lol, post some pics of your gun in the German rifles forum!