Pictures of the rare and finally mine SSD BD38

cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Pictures of the rare and finally mine SSD BD38

Post by cbass »

Folks,

I present to you one, in fifty to hundred SSD BD38's that were imported in 2008 to the US. Mine still needs to be fixed but its good to finally have her. Hopefully she will be running without hick ups soon.

Cbass
Attachments
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
11406776_1669110519985430_80459889251048268_n.jpg
1901358_787121711359504_2430483252143152751_n.jpg
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: Pictures of the rare and finally mine SSD BD38

Post by cbass »

More pictures
Attachments
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

more
Attachments
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
KSH67
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by KSH67 »

Thanks for posting. They came up with pretty much what I was going to do for my next one. Would you be willing to post some pics of the rear receiver lugs and how it interfaces with the lower?
Thanks,
Kevin
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

Kevin,

Ill be picking her up Monday, as soon as I get her ill take pictures but the lugs are no different then the originals if that helps any bit. I was told the hammer was shaved off/ worn down so im looking to have that fixed, but finding telescopic springs are a real pain in the ass.

Cbass
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Was this the one that a gun dealer screwed you on by turning it into the ATF after he had a panic attack or this a different one? Or am I thinking of someone else?

If so, how hard was it to get it back?

Really super nice looking gun BTW, thanks for posting the pics.
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

Der Adler,

No you are correct. Well the BATF examined it and dry fired it and it seems to work fine when manually pulling the bolt back. They then test fired it and it still malfunctioned (slam firing) so long story short they new I spent an ass load onnit and new I was going over seas. They didn't want me out of the money I spent and no firearm. So they allowed me to get it back under the terms and conditions I get it fixed.

So I took it in last week, and the gunsmith took a look he noted that the firing hammer has been worn down or shaved. They cannot manufactory a new one from scratch but found someone who can.

So now I will pick it up Monday and take it in Friday to the shop to get the firing hammer worked on and hopefully a few new ones made just in case.

I hope I get her fixed prior to going over the pond.

Cbass
KSH67
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by KSH67 »

Thanks CBASS. :D
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

I'm glad it worked out for you. I thought for sure it would be gone after that, good to see they worked with you on it. We see so many stories of ATF abuses and seeing this gives me hope there still is a few in that agency with some common sence. Thanks for the update and pics.

Again super nice gun. :photos:
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

Im picking her up tomorrow and on friday im taking her in so we can do some work to the firing hammer, also ordered two new recoil springs as well so I may have to shorten one as well.

As soon as she gets fixed and broken in I'll post a video!

Cbass
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

So since I picked up the weapon the other day I kept taking it apart and looking at to see what I could find. Well I did come across why it was slam firing. :wnana: :wnana: :wnana: :wnana: :wnana: :wnana: :wnana:

I noticed that the firing pin would protrude from the bolt when it was forward ONLY when the weapon was pointed at or below 180 degrees. When it was above 180 degrees the firing pin would be back and not protruding.

So I began to think and the question was "How can I keep a free floating (for the most part) firing pin back only to go forward when the firing hammer hits it?" And then it hit me, a spring. A Spring has the tension and flexibility to keep it back unit the hammer strikes it forward.

So I found a spring that works perfect!!! Any guesses what spring it might be? Well the spring that currently is in place was and is a spring from a gel pen. It fits perfect only issue is how long will it hold up when firing live ammo? So tomorrow I will give it a test run and hopefully I fixed the issue with the weapon slam firing, all I have to do now is shorten the length of the recoil spring to allow the hammer to go fully back and engage the disconnector. Ill let you know how things turn out tomorrow.

Cbass
Attachments
Firing pin with spring in place, firing pin not protruding
Firing pin with spring in place, firing pin not protruding
IMG_20150617_161108_182.jpg
IMG_20150617_160623_111.jpg
Firing pin protruding no spring on pin
Firing pin protruding no spring on pin
ATT_1434574770683_IMG_20150617_161307_593.jpg
KSH67
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by KSH67 »

That would do it. I didn't see a spring in your pics and just figured you weren't showing it. It makes me think if there was enough room to fit the pin with the spring in the hole then there probably was one originally and it went missing. If there wasn't there should have been as you now know. :D
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Good catch, hopefully that was the problem then. If the pen spring works for a while then gives out, at least you know what size you'll need. Maybe check with Wolf springs if that one dosen't last. What amazes me is that the gun dealer that caused you all the greif did not take the time to see it lacked a FP return spring.

Many semi auto conversions require a long FP and need a return spring to avoid slam firing due to the large FP's inertia. The trick is to get the correct spring rate and length so that it doesn't bind or cause light primer strikes.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

Alright gents here it is first range report!

I fired about 150 rounds today. Over all we (I can't take credit for all the help offered from you gents, especially Messerschmitt) are making progress. But its not there quite yet.

I would like to apologize in advance for the horrendous quality of the videos. But I started with a 5 round mag, no issues everything seemed perfect.
Then tried a ten round mag was fine for the most part had a 3 round hick up. But over all not bad

Long story short, I had a total of 4, 3-4 round bursts (only occurred when the mag had 5+ rounds). Everything else was in semi.

Issues I ran into minus the four hick ups, was failure to eject (approx 15-30 times) and when the bolt was going back from recoil the hammer would go forward. So I had to take it apart to put the hammer back into position, usually happened with the failure to eject.

I again apologize for the horrible quality in video and also this short range report, I will most likely go out again sometime and try it out with higher video quality and better report.

Cbass
Attachments
IMG_20150618_171621_925.jpg
That doesn't look to good does it?
That doesn't look to good does it?
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

My laptop not my cellphone will not let me attach the videos.

:| :|