Need belt for MG08/15

messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Need belt for MG08/15

Post by messerschmittfan »

Does anyone know where I can get a ammo belt (7.92x57) for a MG08/15? Thanks Harry
amafrank
Major
Major

Re: Need belt for MG08/15

Post by amafrank »

Look for vickers belts, they are out there. You'll likely have to post a want to buy ad on one of the machinegun boardsl like Sturmgewehr.com , Subguns.com, or gunboards.com. The vickers belts were originally made for .303 but 8mm will work in them too. You need to stretch the belts a bit by loading them and letting them sit. Once stretched they work very well. I use them in my maxims with great result. You might be able to find an original 8mm maxim belt but they cost substantially more and aren't something you'd want to use for actual shooting.

Hope that helps

Frank
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

Harry - IMA has the aluminum belts that work fine for 8mm in the 08/15. They're not perfect but you can buy a few and pull the old links and replace them - that's what I did.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

Thanks I will give them a try Harry
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Is this the Vickers belt you were referring to?
http://www.ima-usa.com/british-ww2-vick ... -belt.html
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

flemgunner wrote:Is this the Vickers belt you were referring to?
http://www.ima-usa.com/british-ww2-vick ... -belt.html
Nope, thats not the ones. Those are called Stripless belts and were intended to be throwaways. They came preloaded in steel cans with the lids soldered on and once you used them you tossed them. I do know of guys using those belts more than once but they are not very secure....rounds fall out when running, the stitching is poor so they come apart after a bit of use and they don't have the brass strips to hold the belt together or guide the rounds while keeping them from being pushed back out of the pocket. I wouldn't pay $5 for one of those belts but I see the proper brass tabbed belts come up here and there for about the same price.

Frank