MG08 water jacket original green paint

MrMilo
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG08 water jacket original green paint

Post by MrMilo »

Did the Germans between the wars apply a green paint to the outside of the barrel jackets or was this sometimes done during WWI?
Attachments
MG08 jacket.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: MG08 water jacket original green paint

Post by IMBLITZVT »

They painted the jacket green before, during and after WWI. The colors change a bit for each.
MrMilo
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by MrMilo »

Some jackets have the paint while others do not? Can you tell is there any pattern reason or timeframe on which ones do and don't. Also on the one in the pic does it look original to you?
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

MrMilo wrote:Some jackets have the paint while others do not? Can you tell is there any pattern reason or timeframe on which ones do and don't. Also on the one in the pic does it look original to you?
All seems to have been painted from what I have seen.

Seeing that the Sled top yoke has the exact same color, I would guess repaint. Its always hard to say in some cases. Either way, we would need better pictures.
MrMilo
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by MrMilo »

I will work on some better pics and post this coming week.
Attachments
img_8927_1.jpg
ANR13
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by ANR13 »

Nice set-up,what date is on the Gun ??
MrMilo
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by MrMilo »

It's a DWM 1918, I'm thinking about buying but I want one that is all original and the only thing I'm not sure about on this one is the paint on the jacket. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated as always.
ANR13
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by ANR13 »

What is the asking price and what is included?Post more pics.
MrMilo
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by MrMilo »

About $20,000 and I will try for better pics of the jacket and paint.
ANR13
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by ANR13 »

OK Cool
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

You will find the subject of 'paint' many times over here as it is dear to our hearts! I personally do not think it original, if nothing else period paint was all lead based and very gluey/heavy. This is very smooth and clean. Assuming any of these items saw service/action then there would be all manner of wear and tear marks. I had period paint scientifically reduced to chemical components and then scientifically reproduced ie an exact colour match.........and it still does not look completely identical as modern paints are not allowed to use the same exact chemicals ie lead.
There is one collector who has repaired renovated a sled in France and then for thepast 3 years has spent his time ageing it! Left outside draggingit around as if it were in field service, clean it oil it make it dirty again!!! So if I were you I would try not to be so focussed on an original as outside of museums there a not that many, and not for US$20k! Alternatively a gun with no paint can also be classed as original as many were as is! Good luck.
Is the actual MG08 live or dewat?
mark
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
jmann
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by jmann »

That gun was sold at the October Julia auction and the new owners had it at the creek for sale. It is mostly original but was missing the sled top strap and the drain valve when they bought it. That means the valve won't be matching but not sure how important that is to you. Best I remember it has a golf ball size dent or two in the jacket and one or both of the side plates showed some pitting. Would make a nice shooter and you wouldn't have to worry about the few dings and scrapes that shooting them always bring.
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mg34nz »

This subject has been discussed quite regularly and their has been no definitive answer to date. From what I have read and seen I have concluded the following.

It appears that at least some guns (if not All)left the factory with a blued finish

Paint "Field Grey" was mixed and applied in the field as required

Numerous variations exist on the colouration due to inconsistency's in paint technology at the time (good examples would be the M16 pattern painted steel belt buckles which come in all shades of grey/green, and they were factory finished!)

Guns and equipment have been found in other colours most often from the selection available for the "traditional" Camo schemes you may encounter on M16 Helmets (HUGE Variations). They were often painted to blend in with the surrounding conditions.

Camouflage was applied by more artistic gun crews to guns and sleds, some great examples of these are owned by forum members.

It has been a long time since these guns were at the front line, many did time on public display as trophy items and could have been improved with paint while on show or by collectors thinking they were doing the right thing at the time.

Some repaints are easy to pick others are a hard call, close inspection, comparison with other period examples and discussion with fellow collectors helps but the best thing would be the close study of original guns when the opportunity arises and study pictures on the forums.

It is hard to make a call on anything (unless blatantly obvious) without "hands on" inspection.

I hope that helps? No doubt others may be ale to add to this or correct me if I'm wrong

Regards
Andrew
retarmyaviator
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by retarmyaviator »

Was this gun on the firing line or is it the one Wolfie had on his table near the front of the pole barn?

jmann wrote:That gun was sold at the October Julia auction and the new owners had it at the creek for sale. It is mostly original but was missing the sled top strap and the drain valve when they bought it. That means the valve won't be matching but not sure how important that is to you. Best I remember it has a golf ball size dent or two in the jacket and one or both of the side plates showed some pitting. Would make a nice shooter and you wouldn't have to worry about the few dings and scrapes that shooting them always bring.
jmann
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by jmann »

Next to Curt on Bobs table.
retarmyaviator
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by retarmyaviator »

Thanks, I was looking at a C&R MG08 on a sled mount Saturday evening that was across from Bob's table.

jmann wrote:Next to Curt on Bobs table.
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Now that this has been safely identified, Mr Milo can we now have the additional images? :cheer:
VMT
Mark
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
retarmyaviator
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by retarmyaviator »

Sorry old boy, didn't realize this was your personal thread.
MarkFinneran wrote:Now that this has been safely identified, Mr Milo can we now have the additional images? :cheer:
VMT
Mark
MrMilo
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by MrMilo »

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles ... mount.html

Here is a link to the gun for sale, I have not gotten closer pics but I'm sure the guys at OOW could get us fixed up on request.