air cooled mg15

scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

air cooled mg15

Post by scamg34 »

Does anyone know the exact length of an original mg 15 receiver, not the semi or the 80 percents as they may be different.I cant seem to find the info anywhere,hopefully someone has prints or an original to measure.I just got my second air cooled kit today,looks like the last one I could find
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: air cooled mg15

Post by 42rocker »

Don't have your answer.

But way to go on two air cooled kits. Myself I got a water cooled one. Wish I could have both but.

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Hopefully someone will, I just ordered the book from John Baum,but don't know if it has the info I need,I took some pics but it says my cameras pics are too large ,These 2 kits were really hard to find and weren't cheap. I got everything with them too the barrel jacket and the bipod, aa sites and bought 4 extra new barrels the 2 that came with them were mint to.Very happy with them.I am working on getting 4 water cooled mg15 kits with drums for 3500 but that will take a while to save up maybe get a pair at a time.If you need anything for your water cooled let me know,sure I can get you great prices,and really exceptional quality,whatever I can get it for is your price. Probably be able to get you mint barrels for a hundred or less,thats the great thing about the 15s,they were brought in before the stupid laws made them demil the barrels.I see the guy every month or so and we talk weekly so let me know if you need anything and Ill get a price.I would suggest a few barrels before some greedy sob company grabs them and we have to overpay,the barrels I got even have the rolled paper in them put in the bore when they were new.Let me know
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Try this to resize your pics

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6015

I use a program called viewprint - also might be something in the windows program. Normally I try to resize to 1200 x whatever at 100dpi. which works good for most computer screens.

I'll get back with you about some mg15 parts. I think that there might be several folks interesting as a matter of fact.

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I think his supply of stuff is limited,and I am not really sure what he has left,but Ill be glad to ask and see, once you let me know what you need.Ill check into downsizing the pics but I m not a computer whiz.I would like to show some of my kits,I really enjoy seeing the pics of what guys do with these and similar german mgs,its fantastic to see such rare pieces of history being preserved and rebuilt.If I can help someone with their build by finding something they need that's great,because I am sure I am going to need the same sometime. I was told I can get a few 34 bolts for 150,and that's a great price,mg42s same price which isn't that great.Let me know what you guys need and Ill ask.
mgs4me
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by mgs4me »

Hello all, I just Registered and am brand new to the site. I too have an MG15 kit ( air cooled ) and was glad to see talk on the MG15 that is current as there's not much activity on the MG15.

I'm also trying to find information on the receiver for this mg, with no luck yet. My plans are to build a semi auto, but information seems hard to find. I am registered on Weapons Guild and there's some information there, but it just seems to go so far and stop. Has anyone here had any luck with a semi auto build?
Does anyone have an extra receiver cover that they might be interested in selling. My kit was missing some parts, and this is all I need other then a receiver to be complete. Thanks for your ear.

Ron.
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I don't believe there is an approved semi mg15 design yet,I was told to stay away from the 80%,s,I wrote the guy a couple times and got no response at all.I don't know what you mean by a receiver cover,the only piece that slides over it is a magazine well, to hold the saddle drum.I just ordered a book from John Baum,whom everyone recommends highly,for 28 bucks I have heard its a great source of info and should give you the correct name for the part you are looking for. Stephen
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

scamg34 wrote:Does anyone know the exact length of an original mg 15 receiver, not the semi or the 80 percents as they may be different.I cant seem to find the info anywhere,hopefully someone has prints or an original to measure.I just got my second air cooled kit today,looks like the last one I could find
I found out what the length is,so 230 mm.188 approx. or 9 1/16
mgs4me
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by mgs4me »

scamg34
Your right, and that's the part I need to locate, and does what you said.
I know on Weapons Guild a member there was working on getting some semi auto receivers made, but nothing has been posted since May. I was thinking that maybe the conversion was not doable but with the talent these guys have I find that is probably not the case so there must be a snag somewhere in getting the receivers made and approved, or they are waiting on approval, just guessing on this.
I'll have to check out the book you mentioned, that would be a great help.
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I am glad you now know what it is,I haven't seen any for sale,on Gb there is one the dope is trying to pass off as a receiver piece,its demilled and worthless,probably cut through when the rec was demilled.Ill ask a buddy of mine if he has one for sale,finding a single part for these can be rough.I spoke to a very knowledgeable guy my friend Marty referred me too and he has some fantastic ideas and I am sure they will work,I think he said he is waiting over a year for the receiver blanks.Problem is the guys that manufacture receivers for guns like these and other parts. ie barrels for zb37 work at the speed of stagnant mud.Due to the small market,nobody is in a hurry to produce parts,They would rather make parts for the herkeley jerkily ak47 and the next worse pile of crap the recycled beer can and soda pop bottle gun, the ar 15,they are making a killing producing parts to rebuild the cut up kits,They could care less about the real gun guys the collectors and restorers.From what I have seen the part where the barrel extention goes through the receiver has to be made with a smaller diameter bore so a unmodified bolt cannot fit,then the bolt has to be milled to a smaller diameter then converted to fire from the closed bolt,then on top of that a new trigger group has to be invented,so its a lot of work and until the rec blanks are done no one has anything to try these mods on,its going to be tough and will take some really skilled guys but they are out there,they just cant get the blanks built. I am sure there are a lot of other guys want to get thiers built,we all just have to wait and it does get very frustrating
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

This is from another post about semi auto mg15 happenings. A while back of course.

"""here have been several posts on this site and weapons guild from Gordie K. about his forth coming semi auto (only) receiver for the mg-15. That's why I got a mg15 at this time, was on the fence waiting, then I saw the posts and said need to get it before the price goes up again."""

So hope to see Gordie K. at Knob Creek and find out whats happening. Or if anyone has updates on the Gordie K. mg15 receiver --- what's up???

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Hey Rocker I just spoke to Gordie a few days ago,Marty gave me his number.We had a fantastic conversation,besides both being into MGs we are both ex car guys.From what I understood he is still waiting for the receivers.I am sure he will come up with something once he gets what he needs,yeah we are all waiting,but the main thing is to get what we can as far as the remaining kits and put them away so investors don't grab them up and rob us later.Gordie definitely knows what he is talking about,so if we have to wait a bit,no biggie most of us have waited our whole lives to get some of these so if I have to wait oh well.I am also considering strongly about a sot 07 but have to find out more, Marty is going to keep me posted ,worst of all I live in New York so have to check on a lot of legalities.
mgs4me
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by mgs4me »

That would be great if your friend has one he's willing to sale, and I can afford it..... as always money is a factor. I seen Rockers post and I too hope Gordie K. can get something happening with these. It's hard, ( at least for me ) to see what has to happen when you don't have all the parts. Your right about one thing, if I had an AK parts kit it would be easy getting what's needed for them. I know they are really popular, but their not for me, I would just buy one If I just had to have one. I prefer the MG 42s 15s and 13, and of course the 34s but the prices on these has went thru the roof.
I guess will have to see what happens down the road for now. Thanks for the info, maybe this will take off and others will jump in with their thoughts, hate to see it just fade away.
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I mentioned it to the guy already he is going to look tomorrow I think it should be 100 or less,so it isn't to bad,Ill let you know when I hear back from him
mgs4me
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by mgs4me »

That sounds good to me, hope he can find an extra one he'll part with.

I seen the post Rocker mentioned and have my fingers crossed that Gordie will get a semi auto version up and running. I also read the post Pirate started way back in 09 and then all of a sudden it just stopped, I don't know if it's because there's not enough interest in the build or what.

Rocker, are you satisfied with your kit from IMA, right now they seem to be the only ones offering any MG15 kits. I have been debating on one but I have been wondering what there like as for condition and completeness.

If I hear any good news on the MG15, I'll post it, and would like to hear anything you guys might hear.

Thanks scamg34 for your help.
Ron
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I just got the book today from John Baum about the mg15 ,I was really happy with the quick service ,its a must if you to get into the mg15.I just went through it quick,but its well worth the money ,it has some nice exploded views and some good info and there are also pics showing you the name of each part.Glad he did this translation. I strongly advise ,pretty much factory manual with English translation.I should know about the mag well by next week.Ill let you know.Glad to be of help,thats what this is all about to help others, build impossible kits. Be great once Gordie gets his design,main thing is complete the kits before he is ready and single parts for these are really hard to get.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Here is the link to the pics from the parts kit that I got from IMA

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11940&hilit=+mg15

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Hi 42 rocker Very nice kit.I don't see anything missing in the kit,seems to be complete.Did you get the drums too? I think for another 300 you get the drum,wheras if you buy it separate from them its 500,There is another site I saw them for 300,but I doubt the condition is as good as the ones from IMA. Lot easier with these to get barrels as opposed to the m53. Take care
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Bought my double drum from another source. At Knob Creek.

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Good,isnt it nuts how expensive they are ? I wish someone would repro the loader,the price of originals is beyond insane.I am going to get the field loaders,its a lot cheaper at 50 bucks .These drums are more expensive then some parts kits.Did you finally find a m53 kit?I remember you were looking for one.