Vickers feedblock on an MG08????

1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Vickers feedblock on an MG08????

Post by 1851NAVY »

Gents,

I'm having a hard time finding a 1910 or MG08 (08/15) feedblock for an 08 I'm partsing together. I was wondering if anyone has used a Vickers feed block in an 08? I have an extra Vickers feed block and checked it against the 08 this morning - it looks totally doable with a little bit of work. The width of the receivers is the same along with the thickness of the sideplates. The Vickers feed block is a little too long so it could be machined down behind the flanges (didn't mic it but not more than .060"). The actuating arm looks extremely close to aligning with the slot in the barrel extension. The height of the Vickers feed block is also short compared to the opening in the 08 so the exact position in relationship of the feed block to the extractor could be finessed as well so the extractor jib aligns with the opening in the feed block. Just wondering is all. Vickers parts (for now) are much more readily available then Maxim.
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Vickers feedblock on an MG08????

Post by bmg17a1 »

Sorry to rain your parade, but this idea has been talked over for years, and there is a lot more to it than that. With the feed port moved forward and reconfigured to correct specs with the steel insert, the front inner wall must be moved forward the required distance to permit passage into the feed way of the round for which you are converting. The inside rear upper and lower feed rails need to be replaced. The upper feed pawls need to be modified for the shape of the new round and modified to correct length as do the lower feed pawls. The lower feed arm needs to be reangled for correct throw with the 08 drive slot. That covers some of it and there are other alterations needed.
Having considered this for quite a while for 54R conversions for the German Maxims, IMO it would be a better use. Of ones time to make new feedblock bodies and alter the Vickers internal and drive parts to fit.
FWIW

Bob Naess
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

I wish IMA, or some other company with the means to do so, would do a run of quality repro Mg08 parts at a fair price.

We all saw the story of the guy that 3D-printed an Ar15 receiver, with CAD 3D images/drawings of the original parts like say the feedblock body, scanned, then 3D printed in steel, we cannot be far from such a day.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG to all you tool and die guys and machinists, I have immense respect for your field, and art, just as we reach a nexus between the bleeding edge of technology and traditional work, it seems at least some of these parts should be able to be reproduced at a fair price.

After all, many of these Maxims from the Fatherland are approaching 98 - 94 years old, notwithstanding some 3rd Reich re-worked parts like Locks, parts are getting scarce and worn.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

I fit the steel Vickers feed block to the MG08 without much problem - took the metal off the front so everything stayed in alignment in the rear. The lobe on the bottom of the feed lever will need to be slightly relocated but that's not a big deal. Next will be converting the feed block for 7.62x54r.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

1851NAVY wrote:I fit the steel Vickers feed block to the MG08 without much problem - took the metal off the front so everything stayed in alignment in the rear. The lobe on the bottom of the feed lever will need to be slightly relocated but that's not a big deal. Next will be converting the feed block for 7.62x54r.

Lets see some pictures. :photos: How well does the rim of the cartridge line up with the extractor face on the lock?

Remember when you relocate that lobe on the bottom of the feed lever... its not just about getting it to fit but it also needs to allow the system to fully recoil. So it must fit when then recoil plate is fully forward and fully back while giving the feedblock a complete extension so that the next round is grabbed.
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

I see that I didn't actually address the heading question below, so just to clarify, my comments were directed at fitting a Vickers feedblock to a 1910 Maxim which is a question that has been raised for a number of years now, and seems to have popped up again from e-mails that I have gotten. Apologies, kind of foggy brained lately......
Some 10 years ago or so, an aquaintance modified an 11mm Colt Vickers feedblock to fit an 08 and made up a barrel in 45-70, and made some mods to the 08 extractor, which apparently worked although I did not see it fire.

Bob Naess
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

Imblitz -

Yes - I'm aware of the necessity of the length of movement the arm requires to fully actuate the recoil plates. I will be looking at that in detail down the road and add weld/ grind/ fit accordingly.

The rear of the Vickers feed block must be identical to the MG08 as it lined up perfectly with the end of the barrel and face of the extractor. It is a little too short but I wil be able to shim that with welds once I fit it for 54r. All of the metal removal was done to the front of the feed block so it didn't effect anything in the back. I did have to file off a small area of metal for the extractor clear but it seemed to work fine after that. No pictures until I get the parts I have ordered (Imblitz - the payment went out yesterday by the way). The parts are for the most part DWM with a few Vickers and 1910 items in the mix. I really should finish up the other Vickers but it's hard to stay away from the 08.
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

Bob,

That 11mm to 45-70 conversion sounds AWESOME!!!! Wow - talk about expensive to shoot!!
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

1851NAVY wrote:Imblitz -

Yes - I'm aware of ... parts are for the most part DWM with a few Vickers and 1910 items in the mix. I really should finish up the other Vickers but it's hard to stay away from the 08.
Well that would be great if you can make it work! I really have not looked into this idea much myself. Its a conversion of a conversion but hell if it works... Just remember that the recoil should not be stopped either way by the lower feedblock arm.

You need to order one of these headspacable lock connection arms. This should fit on your German crank and Russian 1910 Lock.
http://www.ima-usa.com/nation/british-m ... embly.html

Screw the Vickers, we have seen tons of them in semi auto. We want to see a semi MG08! :P
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

Overall width of a Maxim -

2.035"

Overall width of a Vickers -

1.965"

Have to remove .035" of the flange from each side of the block to keep it centered. Note to self.
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Vickers feedblock on an MG08!

Post by 1851NAVY »

No semi side plate yet - that will be necessary for final fitting. The alignment if the extractor openings in the rear of the Vickers feed block and Maxim barrel are right on. One photo shows the feed block from the side and that it will need to be shimmed (up or down) to match the center point of the jib on the extractor. One photo shows the arm and how it needs to be modified to match the notch on the recoil plate. I hope to be doing some milling on it next week.
Attachments
Oct 2012 117.jpg
Oct 2012 113.jpg
Oct 2012 112.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Looking good!
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

I had forgotten to update this post and reminded by a member to do so.

For clarity this semi 08 was built from parts and was never a fully functioning gun.

DWM - bottom plate, left side plate, water jacket, top cover, grip assembly, recoil plates, numerous small parts & pins
Chinese Maxim - water jacket drain plug, fusee cover
1910 Maxim - lock and barrel
Vickers - fusee spring, lock connecting link, feed block (converted to 54r)

So far I have fired many hundreds of blank 54r as well as live ammo through it and it has functioned fine. The only malfunctions I've had with it have been because of fouling from the ammo. Once it's "tuned" it just keeps firing.

I can not speak for a full auto gun and the conversion and durability however converting an 08 Maxim to 54r using 1910 Maxim lock and barrel and a Vickers feed block is not only possible but feasible and cost effective.

The trench mount is an old IMA item that I fabricate legs for and the photo is at the Great War event in Newville, Pa.
Attachments
102_1158.JPG
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

A few more pic's. The last time I made it to the Creek I found a ZF12 for the 08 which needed some work - functions perfect now. I also made up adapters so I can use it on a Vickers tripod without modification.
Attachments
103_1398.JPG
103_1397.JPG
0818131155.jpg
0726141858.jpg
hkg3k
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by hkg3k »

Great job on piecing that MG08 back together
Great job on adapting that Vickers feed block to your MG08
Great job on adapting that MG08 to the Vickers tripod.

Very Nice!
Browning, Maxim, Vickers
Belt-Fed & Water-Cooled
Real Machineguns