MG08/15 Heuschrecke "Grasshopper" Lafette Mount Thread

IMBLITZVT
General
General

MG08/15 Heuschrecke "Grasshopper" Lafette Mount Thread

Post by IMBLITZVT »

There is little known about and few pictures of this rare MG08/15 Lafette mount that was a precursor to the MG34, MG42 and finally the MG3 Lafette mounts. This mount appears in the Mid 1930s as part of the German rearmament program. The MG08/15 was updated at the same time with few parts not seeing upgrades. To my knowledge I own the only remaining pieces of this rare mount and they are in relic condition and dated 1936. I would like to use this thread to try and gather together all the known pictures and info about this mount. I would love to one day have enough info to use a Yugo MG42 tripod as a base to remake one of these "Grasshopper" lafettes.

Also any info on early MG34 Lafette mounts may also prove useful as they seem to share some parts. There seems to be little info from this period as much of this one done in secrecy, lost in the war or just over looked as no longer WWI related and a bit our of date for WWII.
Recovered_JPEG_21.jpg
Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_35.jpg
Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_32.jpg

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_36.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: MG08/15 Heuschrecke "Grasshopper" Lafette Mount Thread

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Please post any additional info or pictures below.

First is a page out of Folke Myrvang's book MG34-MG42 German Universal Machineguns which is one of those books everyone should own.
Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_42.jpg

0815_Lafette.jpg

MG0815Lafette.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

That's a great start on this. I tried to buy one of his mountain lafette tripod's for the mg34, Butttt I'm not willing to spend the money that RS was looking for.
I hope that this start of a new year brings you all kinds of parts and info on this.

Later 42rocker
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

The other page from Myrang. P.S. I hear he is coming out with an updated addition which should be good!
myrvang.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Well I just got Folke's new Volume II book listed in the general MG42 section. It has a lot of great info on MG08s and MG08/15s in the post WWI period. Basically the best guide so far on anything not covered in TDPB. I was very very happy with my copy and would suggest anyone interested in any German MGs buy the book! It was worth it just for the Maxim section but the new info on the MG34 and MG42 is awesome!

Well why post here? Well he has pictures of a complete MG08/15 lafette that still survives today! Great detail pictures of parts of the Lafette never before published. Enough to pretty much answer all my questions started in this thread.
waterdawg
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by waterdawg »

If you make or find some one to make one of these for the yogo tripod I would be interested in buying one. Thanks
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

IMBLITZVT wrote:... Well he has pictures of a complete MG08/15 lafette that still survives today! Great detail pictures of parts of the Lafette never before published. Enough to pretty much answer all my questions started in this thread.
I have been searching for the owner of the 08/15 Lafette since I posted this. I have had no success. If anyone has any idea of who or even what country this mount is in, please let me know. phiteshe@vt.edu I would very much like to talk to the owner.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

A 2nd MG08/15 Lafette has been found in Europe! This one is not the one in Folke's Book! Its in the Festungsmuseum Reuenthal, Switzerland. I am very excited to see this as this is one of the Holy Grails of my collecting. Also note that is has the AA extension arm. I wonder how many more are out there? Sure wish I could buy one. Also interesting is that its dated 1937. Almost all 08 and 08/15 upgraded items seem to be dated 1936. So now we know this continued into 1937!

A special thanks to Dr. Thomas Hug for the pictures!
Fotos 18.03.2014 017.JPG
Fotos 18.03.2014 018.JPG
Fotos 18.03.2014 021.JPG
Fotos 18.03.2014 015.JPG
Fotos 18.03.2014 016.JPG
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Another picture emailed to me. Thanks Bergflak Collectibles!
MG08.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Very Interesting Lafettes. Thanks for sharing the photos.

First came the Madison tripod (Lafette) then ?
This you said was dated 1937. Are there any dated before that??

I just picked up a basket case 1936 MG34 Lafette to rebuild and restore. Anyone got any space Lafette parts?? pm me if you do, please.

Later 42rocker
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

42rocker wrote:Very Interesting Lafettes. Thanks for sharing the photos.

First came the Madison tripod (Lafette) then ?
This you said was dated 1937. Are there any dated before that??

I just picked up a basket case 1936 MG34 Lafette to rebuild and restore. Anyone got any space Lafette parts?? pm me if you do, please.

Later 42rocker
I also found out that the above tripod is actually in a private collection but on display at that museum. It seems likely that its not a second one but the same one thats in Folke's book. Trying to confirm now.

Yes the Madison does seem to be the base model the Germans used. My 08/15 Lafette Cradle is from 1936.

Man a 1936 MG34 pod. Thats early. I know MG34.com has parts but not other than that.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I've dug thru the mg34 pile of lafettes and parts. Drove up from Fla with that on my to do list. More on that trip later.

Good Luck with your finds.

Later 42rocker