The Rarest way to mount a MG08!

IMBLITZVT
General
General

The Rarest way to mount a MG08!

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Ok you guys want to see rare, here you go. A very rare MG08 Trench mount. Thanks to a source, I know its a model made by the 27 infantry division located near wurtemberg. It was made from about 1915 to 1916 in argonnen. If anyone can help with the numbering (unit Markings?) on the cradle, please post what you find!

Of course it is missing the top strap. It should not be that hard to have one made. On the odd chance anyone has one to sell I of course would be interested.

I have not cleaned it up at all at this point. It needs some oil as it does not look like it has seen any since 1918! Very well made and next to the sled, the coolest way to mount a MG08!
P5120001.jpg
P5120002.jpg
P5120003.jpg
P5120004.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: The Rarest way to mount a MG08!

Post by IMBLITZVT »

OH and I really need some MG08 rear traverse lugs for the back of these guns! You know the piece that pins to the MG08 bottom plate and connects to the sled's cradle. Please I need a few now... German, Chinese... just parts or the pin...help!
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Holy crap - you are going to have to change your web site name to the US equivalent of La Mitraille!! :cheer:

I am now going to google the US military museum web sites and see if any have reported recent break ins, and if so, why wasn't I Matt in on it as the getaway driver!!!
:oops:

Mark
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

MarkFinneran wrote:Holy crap - you are going to have to change your web site name to the US equivalent of La Mitraille!! :cheer:
Haha... No I can't claim that.

No I don't think even the museums have one of these! I do have Aberdeen proving ground up the road but its not a good idea to try and rip off a place that has more guns than people! Actually I am going up there tomorrow to a Military Vehicle show. Some gun items but all kinds of good stuff! WWI tanks to Humvees.

Oh and I have more to come! Not much more but one nice item, oh and maybe a high shooting item too, right!
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

What amazes me (small hint of a smile) is that who in lets say 1918 decided to bring this large heavy mount back to the USA!!!!!!
Mark
LA MITRAILLE
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by LA MITRAILLE »

What amazes me (small hint of a smile) is that who in lets say 1918 decided to bring this large heavy mount back to the USA!!!!!!
Mark
For me :( , it's not amazing; i'll prefere that the US troops forget it in France :burn:

:D :D :D David
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Haha... Well then neither of you will be amazed then!

It was left in France in 1918! The French government captured it. Then post WWI or so the French made a visit to Argentina. When they did, this mount was brought along with several German WWI items and left/sold to the Argentinians.

Then not long ago, it was brought to the US. Then finally it was traded to me! :D

So David, I am very sorry but you need to go have a talk with your government! :mrgreen:

I have been wondering if anyone has ever seen a top strap for this mount or a shield... in a picture or real life? I have seen some top straps but none exactly like this one... Now I have some good plate steel... now to bend it and figure out how to make it work.

Glad you guys like it! It is bigger than it looks too! There is a nice about 6inch (15cm) spike coming out of the bottom (going between the ammo cans).
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

LOL! That's a very round about path for that to have made it here Matt! :D

Really cool mount!!! Congrats again!
LA MITRAILLE
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by LA MITRAILLE »

Hello matt,

i'll speak with sarkosy about this mount...... :mrgreen:

Here are pictures of one, same base, still in position in a german trench.
The localization is near verdun in argonne; i made this pictures last year in april 2010......you can see the top strap!

This other one was found at fort de vaux, it has a lot of battle damages, i think it's for that it was throw out.....

To be continuated....

Regards
david
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Very cool pictures David! That is really cool that you were able to find that.. Did you find anything else interesting digging out that trench?? The walls look like concrete, was that concreted in?

Good luck talking to Sarkozy! :lol: I think Barack may be over there somewhere right now, perhaps he can pick up a mount or two from your stash for some of us mount-poor people in the states? :mrgreen: He he!!!

Seriously, really good pictures in this thread, everyone!
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

David,

Great pictures! Thanks! It must be interesting finding those kind of things in your "back Yard".

Yes I see the top strap. All the top straps I have seen look a little different with the bolt attached to the top strap where mine has them on the cradle.

The bunker is really on a hill!!! Thats amazing! Was there a cover over the bunker? Was the MG able to shoot down the hill? How far were french lines?

I would be very interesting to see a picture history of these MG bunkers and all the different styles!

Yes I think you should have a talk with Sarkosy! You need to get him in line! Giving away good German mounts... Also tell him to import more Grand Marnier to the US!
LA MITRAILLE
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by LA MITRAILLE »

Hello matt,

the grand marnier is for real men; it's for that we can't export too much :lol: :lol: , it's like our stinking cheese :mrgreen:

Here you could see the strap of your mount, wich name in german is "DREHPLATTE".....if you need better pictures, i can send you some at your email!
I have all the story and manual about this trench mount....they changed a little some parts, they made a evolution but it's the same base.

I am very kind to show you good documentation :eureka: , you can see the special part near the feedblock, to put a drum on it.

regards
david
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by alpencorps »

Matt, David,
the best thing; both pice, Book and DREHPLATTE-Mount shoud come back home..
to Germany :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

greetings
Fritz
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

LA MITRAILLE wrote: the grand marnier is for real men; it's for that we can't export too much :lol: :lol: , it's like our stinking cheese :mrgreen:
Yes it is for real Men, I agree! My father would give us just a bit as kids when we came in freezing from playing in the snow! You can get another hour of playing in the snow as a kid with less than a quarter of a shot! Its by far the best thing from France, and the best liqueur in the world!

Well, who would guess David has a manual for it! Awesome! Both shown models have a top strap where the wing nut is on the bottom side of the mount. Also neither have a clip for a shield like mine does. Have you ever seen one with a shield? Very interesting versions! I think I will be able to make a top strap for it. I might have some steel thick enough in my garage.
I am very kind to show you good documentation , you can see the special part near the feedblock, to put a drum on it.
Yes it is very kind, thank you! I see a bracket that looks like a feed ramp/chute but not really a 08/15 style drum?

David, it seems the only thing not in your collection is a few dead German Soldier Mummies. Or are they buried in your Garden? :lol: :lol: :lol:
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

alpencorps wrote:Matt, David,
to Germany :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

greetings
Fritz
Haha Fritz! Very good! Maybe France and German should just become the 51st and 52nd States of the USA! France can supply the Grand Marnier and Germany the Beer! Haha... better us than the Chinese!
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

With USA, France and Germany all 'loving' each other I as the UK representative feel left out!!! :shock:

As the British Empire at its height owned two thirds of the world I feel ALL your lovely pieces should come for safe keeping to my home!!

Alternatively, as we as a nation are struggling financially and still 'punching' above our weight' then as a charitable gesture ALL your lovely pieces could be donated to my home!

Great detail David on this mount and from Matt's 'find' to the manual it is a real education.

Please ask for my home address to send all consignments.....................

Mark
LA MITRAILLE
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by LA MITRAILLE »

Matt, David,
to Germany
You know fritz that I appreciate you, but a lot there, all the same you exaggerate!
OK it is a German trench mount BUT:
Made by soldiers of the wurtemberg and not from bavaria.....
Made in France, near my home, with the equipments and the French materials!

Thus no possible return to Bavaria :D :D
Yes it is for real Men, I agree! My father would give us just a bit as kids when we came in freezing from playing in the snow! You can get another hour of playing in the snow as a kid with less than a quarter of a shot! Its by far the best thing from France, and the best liqueur in the world!
Matt,
I think that the winters are very rigorous at home, thus how much you want of bottles of grand Marnier against your mount? :mrgreen:
Have you ever seen one with a shield?
Not for the moment!
David, it seems the only thing not in your collection is a few dead German Soldier Mummies. Or are they buried in your Garden?
You made a error Matt, they are at my home; but in my attic!

Cheers
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

David - will you marry me? :cheer:
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

MarkFinneran wrote:With USA, France and Germany all 'loving' each other I as the UK representative feel left out!!! :shock:
Mark, Yeah I guess you are getting left out on this one! I would feel sorry for you but I can almost see Fort McHenry from where I am right now!
Matt, I think that the winters are very rigorous at home, thus how much you want of bottles of grand Marnier against your mount?
Haha... I like freezing behind my mount. 8)
You made a error Matt, they are at my home; but in my attic!
Yes I can see I did! Where is the T-Gewehr Soldier?
LA MITRAILLE
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by LA MITRAILLE »

MarkFinneran wrote:David - will you marry me? :cheer:
It'll be with pleasure but i don't think you are my kind!
i am sure that your body miss arguments :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

David already married with childrens :cross:
Yes I can see I did! Where is the T-Gewehr Soldier?
I always sold the TG i had.....because i don't like it, it's end of war; and they didn't fight in my area!
I leave in lorraine, near saint-mihiel, verdun and Metz, no battle with tanks as in north of france.

More difficult to find than the TG, is the sling and the amunition bag..... :? , i also sold them!

regards