The Rarest way to mount a MG08!

IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: The Rarest way to mount a MG08!

Post by IMBLITZVT »

I always sold the TG i had.....because i don't like it, it's end of war; and they didn't fight in my area!
I leave in lorraine, near saint-mihiel, verdun and Metz, no battle with tanks as in north of france.
Well after seeing that bunker on that hill side, I understand why they would not have used Tanks in your area! Was the MG in that bunker able to shoot down the hill? How far were french lines? Was there a cover over the bunker?

So do you limit your collection to just items that would have been used in the area you live, in WWI? No Eastern Front or WWII Collecting for you?

Well this is about as close as Brit WWI tanks got to my area: Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD about an hour north of me.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Well this is about as close as Brit WWI tanks got to my area: Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD about an hour north of me.
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Ah yes Fort McHenry. I know a bit about this - this is where our glorious Royal Navy chose to stop attacking the Fort as 'we' recognised its historical importance and breath taking construction. The RN's foresight invented the term 'minimise collateral damage' - actually wasn't it built or designed by the French?

Great uniform collection too David. I am afraid I have already told my current wife there is somebody else.......
Do you ever publish images of your collection?
Mark
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

MarkFinneran wrote:Ah yes Fort McHenry. I know a bit about this - this is where our glorious Royal Navy chose to stop attacking the Fort as 'we' recognised its historical importance and breath taking construction. The RN's foresight invented the term 'minimise collateral damage' - actually wasn't it built or designed by the French?
Always thought it was interesting that Washington DC, a city made of Government fell without much trouble. However Baltimore, a city made of Citizens, stood. I also find it interesting that 100 years later we allied with the Brits against the Germans in a war we historically (Monroe Doctine) we should not have involved ourselves in. I think that shows the power of a common language! Now 100 years after that and people in the US see the European Countries as nothing more than states of Europe... just don't tell you guys that!

This thread also got me looking at WWI tanks! If those German A7Vs has fought in Lorraine, David would have on parked in the driveway! I see Aberdeen had one of them too and scrapped it in 1942... oh that pisses me off. Looks like I need to go have a talk with someone at Aberdeen!
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Well, after a long time, I am finally getting around to working on this rare mount. I have a great guy off another forum making the top strap for me. I put the dimension into AutoCAD and he is making it off them. These pictures are of the trial run. It fit almost perfectly. Now he is going to match the thickness exactly and make a final version. So hopefully I can shoot off it soon!

I see it has shield brackets. Anyone have any idea what the shield might look like? I have a large piece of steel that might work...

The big spike coming out of the bottom does make it hard to use. I think I might get a tree trunk slice and bore out the center for a stand... Anyway thought you guys might like to see:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
LA MITRAILLE
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by LA MITRAILLE »

Hello,

I had forgotten as it was so beautiful [diz] .
I have many photos and documentation on this trench mount but as I want to write a book on the accessories of machine guns, I keep them still secret. Furthermore, I often see again photos belonging to me on Web.

In every case, I give you my address for the sending in PM! :mrgreen:

Beautiful work!!

This soldiers belongs to the Infantry regiment 127 from wurtemberg.
Regards
David
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

David,

Thanks. Yes I have cleaned it since the last pictures. It was very dirty. I had to straighten out a bit of it as it was bent.

I wish you would hurry up and write that book as I would love to buy it!!! As you know, none of those pictures are getting there from me.

If you have some only for my eyes, you can email me them at phiteshe@vt.edu

Hopefully when I get it done I can get you some good pictures for your book! I also hope to get it out need year and do some shooting off of it! It seems to work very well.
LA MITRAILLE wrote:Hello,

I had forgotten as it was so beautiful [diz]....Regards
David
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: another rare mount für MG 08

Post by alpencorps »

Tripod French St. Etienne Mod 1907
Attachments
mg08 St etienne003zzks.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Finally got it mounted to a Tree! Hope to have some video of it shooting soon!

Its one heavy SOB now!
IMG_20140719_144515_713 (1).jpg
ANR13
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by ANR13 »

Matt,Very cool mount.