Question over PK15 ammo can markings....

dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Question over PK15 ammo can markings....

Post by dwmmg08 »

Hi All,

I've recently scrounged up two Patronenkasten 15 type ammo cans, both are of the type with the earlier cast type latch handle, and appear pretty much normal, if repainted a few times... I have some question about the markings I can find on the cans:

On one, its been restamped deeply with the Finnish Army "SA" mark in a box in the top, and with a very deeply stamped "T" below that; those markings, I believe, are that the can was owned by the Finns, and reworked / painted/ something at Tikkakoski. Under part of the SA stamp, though, I've uncovered an older stamping, which appears to be:

J.R.
Emmerich

In a box. very small lettering, not deeply struck. Hard to read, with the "ich" part coming under part of the "SA" stamp. Is this a known WWI German Maker'?

I have also found what may be an imperial proof on one end of the can, a single letter, with perhaps a crown, but it's under several layers of paint. I'll try to get it cleaned down to that later.

On the second can, the main marking I can identify looks like an "M" or "N" in an oval, or perhaps a horseshoe.

Is this a known WWI German maker?

Can anyone suggest any information regarding either of these MG Ammo Cans? They're going to be MG08 & 08/15 ammo cans, hopefully they'll be happy with that after all these years of waiting... :lol:

Glen
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: Question over PK15 ammo can markings....

Post by alpencorps »

Hi Glen,

about the description, i do not know both Markings,
may bee its possible to post pictures?

Greetings
Fritz
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

If you can get me a clear picture of the "Suomalaiset kielimerkinnät", the Finnish markings, we can probably get you a good English translation.

-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Hi all,

I'll try to get some good pictures, but the stampings are small, and hard to see even with a good light and the can right here! :D

I did get to go over the first can with a friend though, and a 30X magnifying glass, and the markings on the top are definately:

J.B.
Emmerich

In a box. Note it's NOT J.R., like I thought at first, but clearly J.B.

Also, at one end of the can, cleaning the paint off revealed a clear Imperial German proofmark, a Fraktur font capital "S" with a lower case "o" next to it, but on a level with the top of the "S", not the bottom. Above the "S" is a very clear crown, this looks like any Imperial German inspector's mark I've ever seen.

The Finnish marks, SA in a box and "T", are both very deeply stamped, they were struck very hard. The "T" especially was very deeply struck, I have no clue why.

I am now certain that this can has to be a WWI German can, that was then sold to Finland at some point. Given that almost all of the PK15's I have seen with Polish makers and dates before the war have come through Finland at some point, I suspect there is a chance this came from the same sources as that; but most of the SA marks on those cans I have seen are painted, not stamped.

I'll try to post pictures, especially of the second can's markings!

Thanks!!!

Glen
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Sounds right. Seems like 50% of the arms in the world passed through Finland at some point!

I think Poland traded all their 7.62 weapons to Finand for their 8mm weapons.