In Memoriam, Our Friend Dan Bartha -- Angola

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

From our friend Lucky13 -- Rollin Lofdahl

I am very sad to have to let everyone know about the passing of a good friend to many of us on this forum, and in the hobby and industry we share. Dan Bartha, known well among many as Dan from Angola Armory, has taken his leave of us far too soon. Dan was very private about certain health issues he was battling with for some time, but he could not overcome them. While his battle here is over, the friends left behind will carry his memory, and a great fondness for the friendship we were blessed to share with him, as we continue our own battles in this world.

I, as will many others here, recall great times with Dan at Knob Creek over the years, and long phone conversations where he shared great insights, knowledge and even sometimes “secrets” of what was going on in the industry. There are many from New York, Kentucky and elsewhere who knew Dan longer, and spent far more time with him than I was able to from the west coast. Dan spent a good portion of the last year working with Russ (toolmanm203) and that brought him back to the Rochester area for a time, where Dan’s roots were. I think that gave him some time to reconnect with many people he knew for much of his life, and I am glad for that. His family and long list of friends will be in my prayers.

I would ask for prayers for his family most especially. Dan leaves behind his mother and a brother, plus his own wife and daughters. This will be a tough loss for all of them, and those of you so inclined, keep them all in your hearts.

This is a repost from Lucky13 from the 1919a4 website

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: In Memoriam, Our Friend Dan Bartha

Post by 42rocker »

I've had the pleasure of many reading many posts from "Dan the Man" "old Angola Dan" many emails and phone calls and doing a lot of business with the man. The last deal was at his house on the way to the creek and followed by seeing him at the creek and getting input on several ideas.
I'll miss the big guy..
Thoughts and Prayers for his family.
Russ -- Thank you for the email and taking my phone call and talking with me about things. As stated anything that I can do to help with things.
RIP Dan

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: In Memoriam, Our Friend Dan Bartha -- Angola

Post by JBaum »

Dan - a 1st class gentleman, always stopping by at my table at Knob Creek, will be missed in many ways by many people who will never even know it.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

That sux. I didnt know him well but he was a cool guy
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

This is hard news. Dan was always friendly and willing to help. I'm going to miss him. :(
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

I will remember Dan in my prayers. He was a good friend to the MG 42 community.

Steve
salt6
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

I have one of his 'products', spoke to him but never met him, my loss. Does anyone have a photo to share? Great person, rest in peace...Phil
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Photo to share. Ok. Taken at the Oct,2012 Knob Creek on Saturday after the group shot.
Left to right Gryphos, Toolman, 42rocker (me), Dan the man
Dan.jpg
Angola Dan is as stated on the right.
A very nice, kind, always sharing, Gentleman that we only had the pleasure of knowing for a short time.
RIP Dan

Later 42rocker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

Thanks for posting that info. I've known Dan for many years and had no idea he had anything going on healthwise. He will be missed.

Frank
aftershock2222
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by aftershock2222 »

He was a true prince in the business. The one time I called him to order parts, we spoke for an hour. He was very friendly and informative. He and his family is in our thoughts and prayers.
fjruple
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fjruple »

Dan was a true friend who would help you out in a heart beat. He put the extra effort to get me some MG42 parts and an Israeli built M2 tripod. Dan always had the time to talk to you and deeply loved his hobby. Dan will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace Dan

--fjruple
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

I am shocked and quite saddened to hear this news....
Dan was a class act. I spoke with him a few times on the phone over the years ordering parts from him. He would even take the time to call me back if he was busy to pick up where we left off. I recall him taking time out of his busy day explaining things to me about the MG42 that he thought I would find useful being I was wet behind the ears. He loved what he did, was knowledgeable and a people person...a rare combination to be all. Though I never met him in person, I recall his pleasant voice and demeanor. He will be greatly missed. We lost a special person here. :(
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I would like to Thank Toolman for sharing this on the 1919 website. I'm posting it on our website also.
I have not heard anything about group flowers or group donation, anyone??

-----------------------------------------
Ok guys here is the memorial they are holding for Dan and I know most can't make it on such short notice but I wanted to post it up for all the local guys whom may be able to attend for the families benefit, it is this Saturday and the link with the address is attached. Russ

http://faithuccwilliamsville.org/?page_id=84
---------------------------------------------------------------
I have not seen time, believe that it's this Saturday Jan 5th, I will be emailing Russ / toolman about time and if any group things are happening.

Later 42rocker
stifeout
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by stifeout »

Dan you will be so missed,
R.I.P friend.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Time and Date for Dan's service
Saturday, 1/5/13 "memorial service is at 11AM". From info posted on the 1919 board.

From "Abominog" 1919 website
------ I'm going to have a floral arrangement sent, and if it's OK with everyone I'll sign it from the guys at 1919a4.com. For those who want to pitch in, I'll take care of the flowers, if you want to do something send donations to support this website- Dan would agree with that. --------
I have asked Russ, Toolman to have a card from the mg42 group there also and to express our feelings to his wife.

We might want to start a donation fund to the website in Dan's name as a Memorial.

My family and I would be Happy to start off this website Memorial fund in Dan's name. I'll get together with salt6 about starting this later today.

Again Thanks to Dan Bartha, Angola Armory for all of the info that he shared Freely with all of us, correcting us when needed and showing and telling us how to do things and always being a Gentleman. You will be missed, Dan.

Rest In Peace Dan and God's Speed

Later Tim @ 42rocker
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

A memorial service will be held tomorrow (Saturday, 1/5) at 11am at:

Faith United Church of Christ
1300 Maple Rd
Williamsville, NY 14221
FNG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Russ posted the following on the 1919 website

"""Well the service for Dan was today and it was a very nice service with many friends and family and all the wishes and prayers were passed on to his mother, wife and girls as well as his brother and his wife and of course a number of his beltfed buddies. I just wanted to let everyone know that they very much appreciated all the prayers and thoughts in this difficult time and he will be remembered by many and I know he has found peace. """

Rest in Peace Dan and God's Speed.

Later 42rocker
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Thanks 42Rocker for pasting everything over here.

Just to let you know, a wonderful floral arrangment was delivered and placed in front of the pastor's podium. It was signed "From Dan's friends at 1919a4.com and MG42.us God Speed, Dan."

I have to say, amonst us gun guys there was far more laughter than tears.
FNG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I would like to THANK YOU and Russ and any others for being there and sharing our feelings.

Posted by "Abominog"
"""It was a nice memorial, and I was pleased it only lasted 30 minutes and then we retired for lunch to converse amongst ourselves. Sure beats a long religious ceremony followed by "go home".

There were but two floral arrangements, the larger from his friends at 1919 and mg42.

It was appreciated, so said his wife. I told his family members that Dan had many friends, who, because of the great distances, were unable to make it, but they were in our thoughts. """

Later 42rocker
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

a devastating loss .
you don't go 51-0 in 5 star reviews without being exceptional.
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=1978
Dan you are missed.

Angola Armory was the first review we had on the forum when we were trying out the idea. Dan begged me to take it down as it was too embarrassing to him and he thought it would look like propaganda. Let the review serve as a poor memoriam of a great man.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.