Software Upgrade

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Software Upgrade

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

No software upgrade can get Bil's "L" back. by his own admission, Bil is damaged goods. :lol:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I thought that he said one of his ex's got him so bad he lost a letter to his name in that one. But???

Later 42rocker
trinnodak

Post by trinnodak »

Sounds good to me. Just posting my 5 so I can read the want ads.
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

I'll be upgrading the board over the next few days. So if you see some strange stuff, not to worry.

Now would be a good time to request new features.

salt
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Maybe a section above the main MG42 and MG34 sections, i.e. a General, general section where topics can go that relate to both weapons e.g. slings, cleaning kits, oil cans and the like.

Tom.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

The black look is BACK! Very trim and nice too.
Is there any way to SAVE all our hard-earned uploaded pics to prevent them from being lost to hacker attacks or worse yet, "software upgrades?" There must be SOME way of backing those up, Steve!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Ok, what happen to the stickies section that was in each of the topics area?

One large stickies area or what? Efforts were just starting to be made to try to make a master file at the top of each group to help store and group things. I'm thinking that is a step backwards myself. DA asked about making master files and I think that we were starting to head that way. Now no stickies areas. One large stickies area rather than several will not serve us as well as breaking things up. I see that several of the stickie topics are now under the Announcements area. I hope that this is reviewed and talked about. Granted several of the old stickies should have been removed due to age and loss of pictures. Hope to see the stickies area back under each topic.

Nice to have the view your posts button working again.

Even if it's easier on the mods -- is the website going to start allowing new members again. No new members since end of August and I've had messages about folks not being able to sign up. I have posted on this before.

Also if you are finding that the black back ground hurts your eyes then there is a way to switch back. Comments have been made on this. I've switched back myself and others have also. Thanks for us being able to choose.

Later 42rocker
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

Hooray! The old format is back. Much easier on the eyes. Kinda missed the guncrew too. Thanks. Wally. :D
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

42rocker wrote:Ok, what happen to the stickies section that was in each of the topics area?

One large stickies area or what? Efforts were just starting to be made to try to make a master file at the top of each group to help store and group things. I'm thinking that is a step backwards myself. DA asked about making master files and I think that we were starting to head that way. Now no stickies areas. One large stickies area rather than several will not serve us as well as breaking things up. I see that several of the stickie topics are now under the Announcements area. I hope that this is reviewed and talked about. Granted several of the old stickies should have been removed due to age and loss of pictures. Hope to see the stickies area back under each topic.
Just need to add the mods, I did a clean install of the base program, too many changes to keep up with the old mods. :wnana:

42rocker wrote:Nice to have the view your posts button working again.

Even if it's easier on the mods -- is the website going to start allowing new members again. No new members since end of August and I've had messages about folks not being able to sign up. I have posted on this before.
They should be able to now.
42rocker wrote:Also if you are finding that the black back ground hurts your eyes then there is a way to switch back. Comments have been made on this. I've switched back myself and others have also. Thanks for us being able to choose.

Later 42rocker
The last style will just be a backup. The primary styles will be Prosilver and Dunkelgrau. You can change them in the user control panel.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Can we make a Q&A area with the pictures and data offered in previous posts in order by subject? A database of pictures and info on topics like: MGZ40 optics, lafette mount info, MG-34/42 head spacing, and other build issues? We have a huge amount of important data stored up in the message base. Moving the best of that to a FAQ area would be a rather large investment in time, but at least the pictures would not have to be re-uploaded time and again every time we get a software upgrade...
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

And I thought that's somewhat like we were working on before the stickies area went. As far as pics go I only know of one time that they were lost due to software. The other time was due to hackers. Several other times the pics have been lost because the posters used outside accounts. Such as photo bucket, then when they left or their account closed all of our linked in pics that they had posted were lost. The only way that can change is to ask posters to only post pics to this website. Then the site has the pics. tomcatshaas great thread on MG34 Lafette Restoration lost it's pics when his photo bucket account changed and there is nothing that we can do about that other than to take and download the pics from photobucket and store them then if their pics go down we repost them. Which is a royal pain to do as I've worked on restoring a fe threads full of lost pics.

Getting the stickies area back under each of the topic area is one of our best steps towards being able to offer the different things that DA is talking about.
Master lists in the stickies area that then link into the related subject thread.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12718
and
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12687
granted the above is in announcements. But I think that the stickies area was a better title.

The break down of subjects in my thoughts is good then have stickies in each subject area like we had. The stickies area would then offer links to the threads. Note some of these threads roll of page one to page two and down and down they go. A stickies link in to the topics would work. Hard but can be done.

Stickies areas back please then let the mods update and try to have master links to the better threads so it does not take going through 10 on more pages of search listings or 30 pages of thread postings. I'm willing to give it a try with the stickies areas back.

Later 42rocker