Advice on .308 build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Intruder196
Major
Major

Re: Advice on .308 build

Post by Intruder196 »

I think I will try it out with just a barrel first before investing alot of $$ for more 308 parts.
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Also not sure where you would track one down, or if it is even necessary... But you might need a BFA to correctly cycle your action?
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

for those interested in the 'new' MG3 feed tray, RTG has got them back in stock again.

http://www.robertrtg.com/mg3feedtray.html
dsarms
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by dsarms »

Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

.308 Blanks and Blank-Adapting the MG42/SA42/M53...........
Let me run down a few things as I see several "questions" coming up during this build......

1: Swilson:
On the requirements to use a .308 Top-Cover.......look at the updated MG42 used by the German Army which was a modified MG42 (MG42/59). When they went to 7.62x51mm/.308 cal. .......they initially changed Barrel, Booster-Cup/"Nozzle", and added a spacer to the front of the feed-tray. This worked for them. If you already have a Parts-Kit in 8x57mm.....try what you have with a 7.62x51mm/.308 cal. barrel and Booster-Cup/"Nozzle"....and maybe just a modified Feed-Tray.

2: Lima:
For Blanks......using the current .308 surplus-blanks available at cheap prices now........I would suggest a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly. That cheaper restricted Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" Blank-Adaptor sounds cheap......but I believe that you will run into "issues" with lack of noise at the front when most of your pressure will be needed to move the extra-weight of a live/complete barrel-assembly. You may also run into problems due to lack of operational-pressure to operate the gun with those .308 Blanks...such as lack of ejection/double-feeding/etc..
The 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly (as my photo at the bottom of the page shows) has the restriction at the muzzle, and only requires the lighter/short piston w/extension at the rear to move.
This allows you to use a bigger BFA Hole-Size which equates into more noise out the front of the gun.

3: Intruder196:
I have fired my C&R MG42 manufactured by "cra" in 1943 with live 7.62x51mm/.308 cal. ammo by only changing the barrel, Booster-Cup/"Nozzle", and I like to change out the fed-tray for one with the forward-spacer....... and fired 7.61x51mm/.308 cal. Blanks with the additional change of the barrel-assembly for one on my 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies.....I also remove the Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" when using one of my 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies as it is not required and allows for even more noise out the front.
One thing that I would do........if you run into problems using the cheap .308 surplus "Pakistani-Blanks" failing to fully chamber to make a dedicated Blank-Barrel by drilling out just forward of the chamber (the "throat") with a 5/16" drill to allow for the wider-diameter of those Blanks. I covered this earlier........they are about .010" too wide at their formed-bullet and crimp-area to fully chamber on most barrels. ...."but" if you have to drill it for the Blanks to fit (which ruins the barrel for live ammo)........why not just use a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly (?)

Last, if anyone is interested in one of my 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies for the MG42/SA42/M53.....just meet me at my below listed e-mail address.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Attachments
000-0-1A.jpg
000-0-1B.jpg
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

Richard, thanks for that bit of info. My feed tray was once used for 308 as there is a hole drilled where the spacer used to be. I was thinking of simply making a spacer that I can just remove when I want to go 8mm. How much are your 2 piece blank barrels?
Lima

Post by Lima »

for those interested in the 'new' MG3 feed tray, RTG has got them back in stock again.
If RTG run out of their $48 New Feed trays, DSA still has them for $29.
http://www.dsarms.com/Feed-Tray-only--- ... nfo/MGDFT/
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Intruder196,
Meet me at my below listed e-mail address and I can give currect pricing on MG42/SA42/M53 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies in either 7.62x51mm/.308 or 8x57mm....or both.

I also make these for MG34/SA34 weapons along with an "L" shaped Feed-Tray-Spacer that is required to run shorter Blanks in the MG34/SA34 (but not a requirement in the MG42.

Due to different options on what you want to order.....I do all of this by e-mail.
Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
zb-30
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by zb-30 »

I had a question about a dedicated .308 build and I figured I'd post it to this thread rather than starting a new one.
Anyhow, I just picked up M53 kit and I plan on replacing ther top cover, barrel, feed tray and booster.

My question is are there any other parts that might be a good idea to replace for a dedicated .308 build?

For instance, I was thinking about replacing the recuperator and buffer with an MG3 recuperator and buffer.
Would there be any advantage to this? Would it function better? Or would that just be a waste of money.
DougF

Post by DougF »

I don't believe the MG3 recouperator will fit in an M53. At least, not without a lot of work.