I have been working on a Pirate FAL converted grip stick for an M53 I acquired.
So far all is going well and I really like the build. One thing that bothered me was not having a safety that worked as original. Well....one that looked original anyways.
I cut a notch in the trigger and welded a piece of drill rod into the notch so it was nice and tight and looked like it was part of the trigger.
Then I flattened the end, but left the bottom rounded. With the end slightly rounded it makes a nice guide for the safety itself since it has a little back and forth play.
I cut a notch in the safety for the new bar, and welded a piece across the back of the grip to keep the safety lever from turning, but it can still be removed.
The system seems to work much better than I imagined. And the FAL fire control group is soooooooooooooooo smooth.
I believe I am going to cut and fit the original trigger over the FAL trigger as well simply for looks.
More to follow as I post here and on projectguns.