IMA rear section rebuild opinions???

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

IMA rear section rebuild opinions???

Post by ChrisPCook »

So, a lot of you are like me, and have probably picked up multiple IMA rear sections. I have demilled all of mine, and have one jigged up (did it tonight). I used rails from the kit for spacing (anchored in with screws). The rails hold in strips of copper against the inside of the receiver, the copper was cut to fit using my dremel tool cutoff wheel. It's looking good. My question concerns the ratchet plate. I've got five receivers, I'm wondering outloud if it would be best to just reconstruct those areas of the ratchet plate using metal stock and weld, or if I wouldn't be better off buying a ratchet plate, and cutting strips out of the ratchet plate to weld into place (the strips would be cut out of the ratchet plate, and then ground down to fit into the spaces between adjacent sections)??? Any ideas on this, just looking for some ideas to push me one way or the other.... Chris...
Michael J

Re: IMA rear section rebuild opinions???

Post by Michael J »

I looked at my receiver, and although there isn't much missing from the ratchet plate, i'm not exactly sure how i would go about re-constructing a portion of it. I mean, i've only got 1, so i'll just buy a new plate, but in your case, maybe buy one ratchet plate, and cut bits from it. Probably easier than fabricating the missing half inch or so by yourself.
jc78_2005

Post by jc78_2005 »

i choose to recontruct mine with steel and weld, it jsut seemed the better option to me,, i dont or cant plug weld a new one back on , ,so id say it comes down to what option you have avalible, its more cleanup to recontruct, but thats part of the fun to me,, i have alot of cosmetic work to do
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Thinking about the same thing myself and the idea of buying one and cutting up and using to repair several others is the way I'll go.

My thoughts are about what to put in front on the receiver and the barrel shroud?? I ordered the Pirate piece and should get it next week BUT... Will I need to buy a full camming section to reach the barrel shroud?? I have the MGS m53 jugo kits.

Any ideas????

Later 42rocker
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

If your shroud area is cut at about give or take that small door to remove the barrel from, then the pirate piece should work. Not sure about kits cut right behind the rear sight, as that seems like it would be pushing it... :?
jc78_2005

Post by jc78_2005 »

i agree with michael , you should be good to go, unless you have a shroud that was cut right behind the rear sight, in that case you may be able to feel the differance with weld and feeler steel, if you have a shroud with some of the cam section on it, id say your good to go,
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

On my first rebuild I tried to reuse the ratchet plates. It did not look right at all. So I cut it off and installed a new one. I absolutely would not reuse a ratchet plate. No matter how you do it there is no way to get those dimples to look correct. If your going to spend this kind of time and money to build one you should just buy a new ratchet plate for $50.00 This could realy take a nicely reassemble MG and make it look like a hack job. The old ones are very easy to remove. I bought a dozen of the nice IMA receivers. With in a day I had completely cleaned them up. Removed the rails, ratchet plates and trigger bracket/ recoup stops.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

That thing doesn't even look close to an original ratchet plate. Try these http://brpguns.com/mg42dummy.htm They are about 3/4 the way down the page.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary