Michael's Build! yeah yeah, another build thread ;)

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Michael J

Michael's Build! yeah yeah, another build thread ;)

Post by Michael J »

Okay, i know, like 5 other build threads out there, but i promised a couple people i'd document my build. SO, here is the route i am taking:
1) M53 kit + ima rear
2) Pirates V2.0 FAL grip , and V2.0 Bolt
3) Following pirates original build tutorial for rewelding and modifying the receiver http://www.salt6.com/pirates%20build.htm
4) Minus the blocking bar, and the fact i'm not using a wiselite rear, i plan to use the rest of the new tutorial.

Some questions:
- How should the recuperator be modified to fit the cylindrical blocking stud used in the original build tutorial, but also to accommodate the FAL fcg grip stick? I figured i would have to remove that thin portion as pictured, to accommodate the FAL gripstick. However, am confused as how to modify the part of the recup. that the bolt block stud sits in. I see this one has been modified to accept that rectangular bolt block stud, but i don't plan on using that one.

- I plan to modify the retracting handle according to pirates new tutorial, will it still work in a receiver-reweld build?

If there are any conflicts in my plan, please let me know! Also, feel free to respond to this post, this is no tutorial, but more so an interactive help session for me :lol: .

I should have my ima rear in hands by tomorrow, as it has just cleared canadian customs, and should be delivered any time this week (most likely tomorrow). I will post pictures when i get them.

Also, i am torn between making my "M53" or making a "MG42". Garry has told me i have real pretty markings, and it would be a shame to have to remove them to put my russian looking writing on :lol: . I only wanted an ugly serial # one, but i think i have been sent more than i asked for... Once i have them in hand, i will have to make that choice i suppose :? ...
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: Michael's Build! yeah yeah, another build thread ;)

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Michael,
The more builds the merrier, that type of passion is what sustains this site.

In my humble opinion as far as straight-up M53 verses Mg42, why not build it as the hybrid that it is:

That is, a true product of the most tumultuous war in the human record (WW2-Mg42) and the ensuing cold war and formation of the historic Yugoslavia (M53); the mixture of both parts tells a more complete story of the 20th Century in a most unique way.

To a small degree it is like owning a Russian-capture 98k that has the swastikas pinged out, that defacing is part of the history, those rifles were lost or surrendered and were made ready by the Russians to be used in the next big conflict or shipped to countries fighting proxy wars.

Anyway keep us posted. :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Picking up my IMA parts tomorrow from post office :D .

Just ground down my bolt, and it is ready to accept pirates semi mods (as soon as i get around to buying them that is :lol: ). Using my rails for reference, i am going to go cut and drill out a welding jig for the ima rear tomorrow. Just figured out how to remove the grips from my grip stick also 8) , had to cut up my screw driver.

I'll post pics of my bolt when i get my receiver pieces tomorrow hopefully.

Down to business though: I looked at pirates wiselite tutorial, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to modify the retracting handle. Just exactly what part has to be ground down to .560"? Anybody with a picture able to show me how not to screw up :lol: ? Preferably a picture edited with arrows pointing to where to grind down / cut, as i'm not the best with "name terms".

On a more offtopic note, io saw this new smiley, and want to test it out: :puk:
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Got my IMA pieces, and heres just a couple pics. Didn't bother to take a picture of my bolt-in-progress, as its not much :lol: . Just learned how to TIG weld today, so i'm excited! Pretty decent at it too 8) .
I don't think i will attempt to save the ratchet plate, and definitely not the rails. Let me know what you guys think of my IMA pieces, are they any good, or did i get the short end of the stick? Also have a pretty BNZ marking to go with my serial #, any idea what the BNZ means? Would also like to note, i haven't cleaned it yet, but no signs of WaA :( , guess i'll just have to make my own (i'll copy my avatar) :shock: :lol: ...

BTW, still need some advice on the retracting handle, haven't figured out what side i need to grind :? ...
Attachments
P1010015.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010011.JPG
jc78_2005

Post by jc78_2005 »

nice rear section michale , it will clean up nice i bet, mine was just a serial number rear,, and has three markings on the rear top. so maybe after ya clean her up you will find some. wonderful feeling to see the parts laying out together isnt it?
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

ye
jc78_2005 wrote:wonderful feeling to see the parts laying out together isnt it?
It is :mrgreen: , will hopefully get some welding done next week.

Anyways, got a bunch of spatter i need to chip off, or grind off, depending on whatever works. I hope it chips off though... not sure how i will get in and grind off the spatter. Not much slag, for the most part, i think it was cut decently. A saw cut would beat it any day, but it was only $100, so i can't be asking for too much :lol: .

For now, i will just work on modifying my bolt, and practice TIG welding.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Michael, your project is looking great.

BNZ stands for Steyr-Daimler-Puch of Austria, great outfit. You did well :D :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Michael Good Luck
Just looked at pic P1010011.JPG and it looks about the same length as the best one that I received from ima. As far as rust etc they look like mine do.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Michael
Forgot to add this, try to save the parts of the recuperator that you will be removing from your receiver as I have read many posts about during the rebuild of the recuperator it sprang apart and now I'm missing ??? At any rate I was able to save a few springs and several of the small "yokes" from between the springs and one of the rods. Also try to save the screw and nut in the rear piece as a replacement part if needed. Hopefully your kit came with these parts, now you might have a backup part or two. Throw the tube away after you get the small pieces out. Good Luck and I am doing the same as you just not as fast as you are.

Later 42rocker
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Thanks 42rocker for the info :) , but it appears my kit didn't come with the recuperator :( . Although i do have a partial piece of the threading from the screw they cut out, instead of simple removing :lol: . I'll just have to be careful installing mine, and hope i don't lose anything.
Good to know i got good cuts though :D ! As for me being fast, well not really... All i have done so far is grind the FA lugs off of my bolt, fail my first attempt at tig welding on the 1/8" x 3/8" piece of metal, and fail to weld the little knob on the back of the bolt in place 8) . So i got a few nasty grind marks on the bolt from removing failed welds, and my bolt is now a funny blue looking color from dipping it in water to cool :shock: ...

Should start welding the receiver next week though, hope that turns out better :D (will probably get my teacher to do it)!
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Umm new smileys? :dh: :photos: :eureka: :cross: :nana: :bnija: :wnana: :wnana: :search

Anyways, i removed the rails, cleaned up the cuts, and will be adding the bolt block stud, and extending the grip hole hopefully tomorrow :D . I have however run into a small problem...

How the heck do i remove my old ratchet plate :lol: ? It looks to have been riveted on, or pinned and welded? I see a couple small circles on it, and am not sure what they are :? ... If it is too much of a hassle to remove this plate, i may just try to repair it, but i can guarantee it won't be pretty. Just wanted to get some input on how to remove this properly, anybody done this before?
jc78_2005

Post by jc78_2005 »

hey michael, im pretty sure they are just plug welded on there, those lil circles you see are the plug welds,to remove i would say you could either just grind them out , with a dremel, ,or drill them out on a drill press.. someone may correct me, ,but thats how i would think to do it
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

They are plug welded. I mill them out with a 1/2 mill. There should be 6 of them. You will need to cut the front were it wraps around the receiver. It's very easy to do.

Good luck
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Thanks you two for the information. I'll see if i have time to remove it tomorrow. I'll probably do that after i do the semi modifications i wanted, if not, i'll try tuesday.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Michael
Something else comes to mind as we clean these parts, oil the daylights out of them as you clean them up.
old ratchet plate, I'm planning to try to rebuild mine like the Pirate build. Dan at Angolaarmory.com has ratchet plate. As does BRP.
I've got my rear receivers cleaned up and oiled. Next step is to remove the rails.
Micheal did you drill or grind the rivets or grind and press them out??
Good Luck with your next stage of build
Later 42rocker
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Used my dremel, carefully ground the rivet heads on the outside, and simply pulled out the rails by hand (also removing the rivets, very easily). I am going to give my parts a nice sand blasting at school, so i haven't really bothered with oiling, as my parts are still a mess. I don't have any de-greaser, and it is freaking cold outside anyways :lol: . Negative 15 degrees Celsius here, which is... 5 degrees Fahrenheit!
I need a barrel bushing anyways, so i will just buy the Apex ratchet plate i think.

I have my metalwork class 2 times a day (i had a "study class", so i go to the metal shop instead :nana: ). In the first class, i got a 3/8" bolt block stud tacked in place, will TIG it later on in build. I also had a chance to extend the grip slot 5/16". All that's left for me to do is remove the give her a good sand blasting, remove the ratchet plate, find some copper, and weld her together :D ! Well, and buy those semi mods from pirate, buy that cam section, and a small list of other things :lol: .

My second class, last class of the day, the power went out :( ... I was in the process of starting to TIG weld the little retracting handle stud onto my bolt (well, just about to start), when everything went dark. So i gave it a (somewhat crappy) acetylene gas weld. I doubt it to be a decent weld, and will go over it with the TIG, or wire feed welder next chance i get. Believe me when i say, to anyone who has not gotten this far, welding that stupid thing to the bolt is an absolute pain! I used some magnets to keep the damned thing from moving, it was frustrating :lol: .

Trying to get as much done as possible, as i only have until friday to get the bulk of the work done. I don't have any major tools at home, and rely on my school to do all this :( . Hopefully i get her on her way to becoming finished before friday!

PS Sorry for crappy pictures, my dad is using the good camera, so i'm stuck with my little sisters :photos: ...
Attachments
SDC10346.JPG
SDC10352.JPG
SDC10351.JPG
SDC10348.JPG
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Being pressed for time is a deficit, I laud your dedication but try not to push too hard; take your time and remember the old platitude “there is never time to do it right but always time to do it over.”

If you have not already, I would take the time to mount the rails ONLY with screws temporarily into the receiver sections and slide that bolt down, make sure none of the sections are slightly pressed in making the bolt bind up. These things were sold as scrap, sat on big pallets, under lots of weight, and sometimes they have to be spread out a little, not something you would want to fiddle with after you weld, though it can be done but, at that point you will want to be moving on to other things.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Actually, i was planning on multi tasking :) . I planned to keep the bolt head handy, as i think i will be using the rails + screws as my welding jig for atleast one of the sections to be welded. After temporarily installing the rails, i planned to test the bolt fit. Although, before i removed the old rails, i had also tested for this, and the bolt rolled through successfully :D .

Thanks for the caution though, time is not on my side, but i will be sure to be careful!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Thanks for the info on taking the rivets out. Good Luck with the rest of the stuff.

Later 42rocker
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Okay, today first class i spent an hour giving her a bath in the sink with a toothbrush and this anti-grease soap (sandy textured white goop) "GOJO". Really, not much progress that class, but she is clean enough to give a good sand blasting before welding. Second class i fixed my bolt with a nice penetrating TIG bead, and ground it down. Practised with the TIG the rest of class, but thats about it. At home in my garage, i went nuts with my dremel tool. I squared up the slot extension to prevent the FA grip from locking in, I cut out around the welded areas of my ratchet plate, will have to use the belt sander at school to remove the little stubs. I also ground down, and cleaned up the bolt block stud's tack weld. It's nice and shiny, ready to TIG in once i verify everything fits good. :eureka: Will trade these pieces of (original german) ratchet plate for the pirate camming piece i need :lol: 8) ! So umm, all i need to do is give it a good sand blasting, hunt me down some bolts to mock up the rails, double check that the bolt will slide through easily, find some copper, and start welding her up!

That takes care of the rear receiver half, after the winter holiday, i will have to start working on the rest of the build (mainly grip and finish up the bolt). Mating front and rear halves + pirate camming section. Plus the barrel bushing (probably last thing i will do), in who knows how long it takes me to get a hold of one 8) ...

Here are some better quality photos with the good camera!
Attachments
P1010030.JPG
P1010029.JPG
P1010028.JPG
P1010027.JPG