receiver question

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Derf

receiver question

Post by Derf »

Hello all,Im new here and getting ready to start a new semi auto build on
my 42 kit just got done with a 1919 but im wondering what receiver to use?
I have been reading for a while now and im still not sure.I was thinking of
getting the shell blank and leaning toward the Wise Lite (all the welding maching etc is not a problem)
main reason for using the blank is to save a bit of money,but at the same time
i just like quality so im still open to options
please feel free to pm me with ideas
Thanks!
Metalmuncher365

Re: receiver question

Post by Metalmuncher365 »

Hey Derf,

Im just a new guy here myself, but I just got a BRP receiver last week, and my build is almost done (mechanicaly). the stampings are very nicely done. I was very impressed with what I got, and was glad I spent a little extra money to get it, seeing the aggrivation some of the other guys are dealing with. At the same time, I see a lot of guys here on MG42 utilizing minimal tooling and machinery to get it done.....and my hat goes off to them for that! If you can get a BRP reciever, I would dive on it. But see what everyone else has to say as well. :)
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php ... 34826bc98a
Very last of the $150 batch, next up is $175, then $200.
You will also need a receiver front section from Project guns (Pirate) in the for sale section for $25. Or you can buy the camming repair section from apex.com for $120 (better to take the $25 deal :lol: ).
By far, this is the cheapest method, as buffer tabs, buffer latch stud, and this buffer length increasing piece required normally for building on the wiselite blank, are now not required with the IMA receivers. All your major machining is done, you just have to weld her back together 8) !

This is both the cheapest, and most "authentic" way to go.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Michael J wrote:[url]http://www.ima-...... and most "authentic" way to go.
I disagree; welding up a 3 or 4 piece cut receiver IMO would be the most "authentic". A lot more work.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Michael J, spoken, or rather written, like a true pro. :D

Furthermore if you need a parts kit, check out http://www.IOinc.us and see if they still have any room on their waitlist, it is dubious they do, but $699 for a complete M53 kit and de-milled receiver is a steal.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

www.Prussia.us wrote:Michael J, spoken, or rather written, like a true pro. :D

Furthermore if you need a parts kit, check out http://www.IOinc.us and see if they still have any room on their waitlist, it is dubious they do, but $699 for a complete M53 kit and de-milled receiver is a steal.
Thanks :) , I forgot about those IO parts kits, if you can get lined up for one of those, it is said M53 receivers are much more "rarer" than their ever so expensive german brother, although they are in less demand. Aka, no one really seems to give a crap about the M53 except a few of us guys here interested in their history too :lol: .

Heck, i payed $600 after shipping, and taxes for my M53 kit w/o the receiver rear! And that was on a $400 kit i imported from the US... But i made up for that with an IMA $100 rear on the way :D .

Depending on what you'd rather do, and how confident you are on your precision work, you choose the method. The wiselite contains a lot more machining, and better hope you cut it in the right places, to the exact right length and shape! Then you must do a small bit of installing in the buffer region, and grinding to the right fit. Cut receivers already have that stuff done, all you have to do is repair it, and then convert it with semi parts.

You prefer welding dominantly than go for the IMA, if you prefer more machine work, than maybe a BRP or Wiselight stamping would be for you. Definitely less welding, and that wiselite stamping was my initial choice. But the IMA method was a few hundred bucks cheaper if you get what i mean 8) .
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I dunno-for a while there,those cheap 53s were everywhere.I'll bet there are lots still sitting in folks closets,waiting....I was surprised to see those German pieces pop up,and at bargain prices.I know I should have grabbed some,but I think I have [almost] learned to control myself with the crazy buying stuff.The other bad habits remain! ---bil PS-personally I prefer the original old German 42s.
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

“Bil” you are so right. Self-control in this hobby is a b*tch because the opportunities have become extremely transient in the past four years as far as: parts kits, prices, receiver pieces, replacement parts, then escalating values. We get so conditioned to buy when there is an opportunity, IMA’s mg34/mg42 receiver sets are such a great deal/opportunity at this juncture that the temptation to over-buy is palpable.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864