922r compliance

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
MrJD

922r compliance

Post by MrJD »

I have been trying to find info... are belt fed weapons like the MG42 not covered by 922r? Before I buy a kit and receiver to do a build, I'd like to know what I am getting myself into. The info around is kinda grey, so I wanted to get that cleared up.

Also, is apex the only dealer with M53's currently? I might just pick one up from gunbroker, but I have had great great luck with apex in the past.
Michael J

Re: 922r compliance

Post by Michael J »

Welcome to the board :D . I do not believe belt-feds are under 922r, as this is not the case for the 1919a4 belt-fed. I'm pretty sure of this.
To further give you knowledge on "what you are getting into", be sure to have deep pockets :lol: .
A parts kits may only be about $400-550 or so, BUT you will end up paying a bit more in the process of building it into a semi. Semi bolt and grip conversion pieces from Project Guns LLC will run you up to $350 or so dollars, essential pieces you will need. A rear receiver from IMA is only $150-200 right now, i suggest you buy one before they are all gone. Barrel bushing repair is $150 from apex, cam section repair (needed for IMA receivers) is $120. Project guns currently has the cam pieces you will need for only $25 though, i suggest acting fast if you can. Other small parts will run you up another $100 or so.

Given you do ALL the welding and machining yourself, that brings you to another (minimum) $700+ to be spent after the kit price of give or take $500. $1200 and counting :shock: !

I would strongly suggest watching the "for sale" section of the forum for best prices on m53 kits, i think there is still one for sale for only $400 (or has somebody bought that one yet?). You will pay heavy if you grab one from gunbroker, and chances are you can get the exact same thing for less here. I think Apex is the only m53 kit supplier at this moment, but i haven't done any shopping around, so i couldn't confirm that.

There are quite a few people who have build experience under their belts here who will gladly help you, unfortunately i'm still in the process of getting my build experience :lol: , so i don't think i'd be much use to you!
Hope i didn't "turn you off" or give you cold feet. The M53 / mg42 is an amazing gun, but a challenging build. It's do-able, but be prepared to sink some time, frustration, and cursing into it 8) .

-Michael J
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Welcome, the MG42 is in a class all by itself. Whatever the cost, it's worth it - even a semi.

I did a search for 922r, and came up with 125 messages... I'm sure you can get your answers from what's already been discussed at length on here.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
MrJD

Post by MrJD »

I thought I posted here last night again... but I guess it did not complete. :)

I will add more later, but I would like to say that I have received a warm response from you guys both via PM and on the boards here. Thanks. :)
MrJD

Post by MrJD »

i tried to find the camming pieces for $25 with no luck... are they on the web page or do you have to call them?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Look in the 'For Sale' section on this site.His ad has all the info and phone number. :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

It appears that WLA is building their M53 to be compliant to 922r. One statement is that the WLA M53 had enough compliance parts and the other statement is that WLA has a compliance part count form. My question is: What MG42/M53 parts are being counted for the 922r requirement?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7499

"I had a conversation with Tony a few months ago and asked him if it was ok to use a Yugo barrel (in reference to 922r compliance) as spares in the WLA M53 and he told me that they have more than enough compliance parts so it would be ok to use a Yugo barrel in it if it checked out ok. "

Richard C. Hamer made the following comment:
"About the compliance part count, WLA has an internally generated form that the folks in the shipping area use to ensure every firearm going out the door meets the standard. I don't believe we mark the parts we make, other than the receiver."
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

here are some parts that are us made and would count as compliacne parts
1. buttstock online member
2. trigger housing pbb
3. hammer fal fcg
4. trigger fal fcg
5. sear/disconnector fal fcg
6. m13 links (on mg3)
7. receiver wla/brp ect
there may me more --i just cant think of them right now
just my .02
waffen
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

The ATF letters I've seen about the 1919 all state at some point that since it was never designed as a shoulder fired weapon it is not considered to be a rifle, pistol or handheld weapon. For that reason it is not covered by the sec 922 r regs.
In my opinion the MG42 would come under the 922 r regs because it was designed from the outset as a shoulder fired weapon and therefore would be considered a rifle in semi auto. The belt feed system has nothing to do with the determination as it is considered to be a large capacity feeding device which is included in the regs along with detachable magazines. So I would say that to cover your self, make sure you are 922 r compliant.
You should be pretty close just by making the semi auto stuff. You will have the receiver, trigger, sear, disconnector and quite possibly the bolt carrier as US made. There may be more parts US made by the time you're through as well.

Hope that helps
Frank
johnnymg
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by johnnymg »

I remember reading about a year ago that it falls under 922r, due to the weapon having a shoulder stock that made it a "rifle". Then again thats just hearsay. my .02

Johnnymg
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

I also remember reading something about the 1919a6, although it has a "shoulder stock", it is not meant to be fired from the shoulder, and still does not fall under 922r. The mg42 / mg34 are not shoulder fire able weapons, the stock is not meant to be a used to fire from the upright position for example. It acts in the same way as the 1919a6 shoulder stock, in that is used "like a rifle stock" but not "as a rifle stock". If that makes any sense.

By modifying your internal structure, are you not "re manufacturing" a US-made item anyways? And therefore you would have a nearly "All American" gun? Or do the modifications not regulate themselves as having been manufactured in the US?