HF Tig Welder ?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
m1-dan
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

HF Tig Welder ?

Post by m1-dan »

Ok so im looking into possibly buying a tig for my build and plus to just have around the home.Is there anyway to some how buy a converter to use the HF tig on a 120 outlet , thats all my house has except for in the laundry haha. Also i looking into a 120v unit from northern tool its made by ThermaARc and is a 120 or 110 Tig / stick welder for 579.00 anybodu have experience with that brand/unit. Also any problems with the cheapo's or they still doin good?

I tried pushing a hint to my Girl that i wanted that for xmas haha.
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: HF Tig Welder ?

Post by waffendude »

some time ago i bought one of the hf tig machines--works great
i wired it in my garage---i only have residential power---i think that if you measure the voltage across your dryer connection it will be 208/240v single phase----i think the welder you are looking at is single phase --which means it will work on the power you should already have
maybe someone that has more knowledge will chime in
just my .02
waffen
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

m1-dan wrote:Ok so im looking into possibly buying a tig for my build and plus to just have around the home.Is there anyway to some how buy a converter to use the HF tig on a 120 outlet , thats all my house has except for in the laundry haha. Also i looking into a 120v unit from northern tool its made by ThermaARc and is a 120 or 110 Tig / stick welder for 579.00 anybodu have experience with that brand/unit. Also any problems with the cheapo's or they still doin good?

I tried pushing a hint to my Girl that i wanted that for xmas haha.
You can not convert 120 to 240 volts. Find a 220 volt as stated before dryer is a good one. Make a 12 gauge extension cord with a dryer plug on one end and a 240 volt socket on the other to match the plug you are putting on the welder. I have the HF TIG welder and like it alot. My first project I used it on was the MG42. Since than I have used it on several other projects.
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

8) The dryer plug is what I run mine off of.