Cold Steel Receiver Build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: Cold Steel Receiver Build

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Ditto “Bil”

The guys that complete their parts sets with ColdSteel receivers are adroit craftsmen to say the least, and have balls as big as Tiger Tanks to undertake the challenge.

I would be very curious how many "80% receivers" ColdSteel sells annually and how many become functioning firearms :?
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

I'm glad you guys were able to say it nicely. Really -- if you were a manufacturer, would you be proud to send those out to people who have paid their hard-earned money for your supposed skills and expertise?

I bought a PPSH41 trunion from Coldsteel and was just shocked that they allowed it to leave their shop in the shape it is in. It has gouge marks where the barrel hole was drilled. But I kept it because I can make it work, and nobody else was offering one at the time I bought it.

Yet, they seem to do a good job on the flats and other receivers they offer. In these cases, it's just a matter of bending metal, and they apparently do well at that.

But the MG42 receiver is obviously way above their heads. Just compare it with the other receivers that are being offered.

I agree with Bil and Prussia. You guys that manage to make a working SA42 out of these :shock: --well, my hat's off to you.

Thanks for publishing the pics. A lot of people have been curious about the ColdSteel pieces.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

The buffer and stock match up pretty well and the recuperator sits in nice and flush. As soon as I finish milling the grip and ejector opening I will post more photos.

Bill :read:
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

mattcdavis wrote:Das Machinengewhr es festgelegt!
The machinegun is stationary?

festgelegt means (among other things) that it is fixed as in non-moving

How about fixed as in repaired=repariert?
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Good luck. That CS receiver looked better then the last photos of their 2nd generation receivers I saw.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Just a update on my progress so far; I have mounted the FCG and everything on the bottom side,Stock and buffer are in, cam section is fitted and I'm starting on the rails. I haven't taken any photos yet,but I hope to post some tommorow; was planing to be almost finished by now,but I have had to use a dremmel and my drill press ONLY!!!. Still I'm within .010" of all measurements :pound:

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

I have a question about the feed tray: Does it sit flat on the receiver or is there a slight amount of pressure needed to close the top cover? The problem I'm having is having to use a bit more force than I think is needed to close the cover.The top cover fits great by its self,however when the feed tray is fitted the top cover stays about a half inch from closing, it will close and latch but, it feels like it requires to much pressure to do so. I have ground a bit of the front of the receiver where it was binding and that helped a lot, I just don't to take too much off. Any help out there?????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:

Thanks
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

You can remove a little off the feed tray if needed. Would take more off the receiver before I started on the feed tray.
cz2
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by cz2 »

Sd.,
Is the problem simply a matter of adjusting, [say bending], the feed tray mounting tabs?
With the feed tray mounted with the cover pin,will it lay flat to the receiver?Will some "adjustment" let it lay flat ? after a little "adjustment" my feed tray fit quite well.On a re-weld however.
food for thought,cz2.
All glory is fleeting.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Got the feed tray to sit flat and all fits like a glove. :thanks: :woot: (Thanks cz2 and bolex) Ready to install the rails permantely,In reguards to the rails;Do I have to use a round head rivet or would a flat head work just as well? Bill :read:
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Question on the ratchet plate,I got one from RTG and it does not have the holes for welding that the pics in priates build has. Should I drill some to weld in or just weld along the edge? Thanks.

bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Sd.kfz.173 wrote:Got the feed tray to sit flat and all fits like a glove. :thanks: :woot: (Thanks cz2 and bolex) Ready to install the rails permantely,In reguards to the rails;Do I have to use a round head rivet or would a flat head work just as well? Bill :read:
I bought some flat rivets from ACE hardware and with my small lathe turned the head down so that it would have clearance with the slots in the bolt carrier. Good luck.

Bil may have some rivets left that will fit, he was giving them away. Send him a PM
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Sd.kfz.173 wrote:Question on the ratchet plate,I got one from RTG and it does not have the holes for welding that the pics in priates build has. Should I drill some to weld in or just weld along the edge? Thanks.

I drilled holes in and plug welded them.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Thanks bolex thats what I figured. I have another question on the ratchet plate; By the looks of it the cocking handle is held in a grove in the plate itself, should I thin the handle arm to fit or enlarge the grove?. Sorry for the bone head questions. :brain:

Thanks
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I would slightly enlarge the slot-check carefully as you don't want it too loose.There is not enough meat to thin the handle,in my opinion.If you widen the slot.try to do it before you weld it on,it is easier to get at,although an almost wornout cutoff wheel in a dremel works. When are you going to ask the bone-headed questions?? :? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
mattcdavis

Post by mattcdavis »

Well jbaum the way I meant it was fixed as in I finally fixed all the stuff I had bought to make a working SA53! But I guess I should have reallized it could be thought of that way as well! It seams like sd.kfz.173 is making good progress! Keep it up and you will be there in no time!
mattcdavis

Post by mattcdavis »

Also sd.kfz.173 have you cut the slot that the charging handle rides in on the reciever itself? Its more of an interupted slot because it is cut into the "bumps" that stick out but is not cut deep enough to cut into the "troughs". I hope this makes since!
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Does anyone have a picture of the slot in the bumps?
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Thanks Bil ,belive me if I haven't asked one yet I will!:-) I haven't welded the plate yet so openin it up will not be a problem. :thumbs: Thanks for the information mattcdavis,I think I get what you mean but if you have picture of the slot,it would REALLY help.

Thanks
mattcdavis

Post by mattcdavis »

If you do some pic searches here,or on google, you will see the slot I mean. It is actually on the reciever itself and really looks like an interupted slot. I don't have a camera anymore or I would try to get some photos. Let me see If I can find one.
Attachments
look closely at how the
look closely at how the
look at bottom right hand corner
look at bottom right hand corner