BRP stampings

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: BRP stampings

Post by 42rocker »

Wow, that does not seem like Brian's normal work. Myself I just received two of the front barrel shrouds sets from him. Going to use the metal to help rebuild some German front barrel shrouds.

Later 42rocker
dlbard
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by dlbard »

I must say I was expecting a better fit on the halves. I’m fortunate enough that I have machinery to easily fix these hiccups in the build process. If a guy only has only hand tools available to him this could be a major issue. Although I know of some tool & die makers that have made some amazing things with just some hand tools.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Some say it's not the tool it's the one behind the tool.

Later 42rocker
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Dlbard....that looks like the same size washer i used to shim mine out! I have to say that the stampings look great even if they are a little short. most of it (the seam) gets cut out anyways so no big deal. i think they will build out fine and i like the extra bumps on the sides to fit the top cover tight.

Thanks 42.
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Dlbard, you would be amazed if you could see what i do with nothing more then my drill press, some files, my mig, and my dremel. 8) Some imagination, determination, and luck go a long way. How far have you gotten? I have only welded it up and i made the relief cuts for the buffer before i did that. then i cut the sear things off the bolt and my barrel is fitted and moves smoothly. I think i am gonna go with pirates fal design or make a fal fcg fit my grip. I am a fal guy and i know that fcg very well. Plus, no matter how much meat ya take off the hammer, it still hits hard thanks to a very strong spring.
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Dlbard, i think those expanded parts are there to grind down for a tight top cover fit? That was my theory. Not sure. Anyone know?
dlbard
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by dlbard »

I'm making good progress on the receiver. It's welded up,blued, 90% of the cut outs, and rivet holes scribed on the receiver. I should have it milled and drilled today. I do have to take a 4 day break on the project as I need to help the DNR lessen the deer population.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes on the small extended areas.Makes the topcover stay down. The Germans put a lot of thought into these,where the rivets go there is a small round indentation.On the inside,these can be filed for better rail fitment. You can see file marks on some original receivers. Also,where the camming piece (never say 'trunnion') goes,there are also small protrusions that can be used to adjust the camming piece relative to the receiver.
I can't recall the name,but there was a member here a few years ago that built the entire rear receiver from flat stock,bending and welding it all.Nice job,too! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
jamesob
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by jamesob »

Ok I got my receiver tacked together and it looks like I will have to take some material off the buffer for it to turn. Is this pretty standard? My receiver is about 4thousanths skinny that's the closest I could get it to the 2.200.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Hi builders,

I see the 2.2" width measurement spokenn off and can see it on drawings, the drawings I see it on dont sho the three bumps on each side, one at the back for the feed cover and two at the front for the feed tray. the halves I have are right at 2.20 on the basic body and by no way will the feed cover or feed tray fit down snug over the bumps, i would basically have to grind them off for my system to work, and, in looking at installed rail width its like 0.050 two wide internally. With all that said it looks to me like the bumps should measure 2.20 top to top and the main rec body width possibly something like 1.950-1.990 ish (dont have that final figure as I've been only deaing with the blessed bumps being too wide.

G
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Jamesob......yes it is standard.....in oreder to lock the buffer it has to turn inside the receiver. I measured and made the clearance cuts before welding it together. I made the cuts with my dremel and a cut off wheel. If you need me to i can post some pics.
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Crash.....the rear end stampings are an improved version. the "bumps" are there so that they can be filed down to hold the top cover snugly with no slop or wobble. Dont use them as an outside measurement. Measure from the flat surface. I dont think the extra wide clearance will be a problem. If anything it will help insure the bolt moves freely during the cycling phase. I set my width using the buffer and a shim of .013. I should have used a slightly bigger shim like maybe .016-.020. When i was done welding i had to tweek it abit in the vise and file a little inside to get the buffer to slide in freely.
jamesob
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by jamesob »

Mechwarrior if you could post pics I would greatly appreciate it.
dlbard
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by dlbard »

I agree with mechwarrior,do your best to keep the 2.20 outside measurement. What ever you end up taking off the buffer to be able to turn it, that will be that much less grabbing the buffer tabs.
jamesob
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by jamesob »

Well I got the receiver welded up and got the buffer to turn pretty easy. The buffer area turned out to be a little bit of a chore. After some internal grinding and hammering the receiver to get it where it needed to be, I'm set for the next stage. I'll post pics when I get further along.
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Jameob. Sorry i haven't been on in a couple days. Glad you got it. I will still post some pics. I will try to post some tomorrow.
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Hope i do not offend anyone here but, if you want to see my entire BRP rear sheetmetal build it is on weaponeer.net. I took many photos and have good descriptions. It is a poor mans build, no fancy equipment as i don't have any. Thanks to all here for the inspiration!
MrWizard

Post by MrWizard »

Okay guys, this is my first post on this forum so please bear with me. CrazyIvan514 and myself are building 2 MG53/MG42s from kits purchased through Centerfire Systems. Originally, since I own a machine shop with cnc 3 and 4 axis machining centers and cnc lathes we were going to machine the rear receivers out of billet ordnance grade steel, but since we received the blueprints we have gone ahead and purchased two of the BRP rear receiver kits (w/ rails, buffer tabs, and rivets) from RobertRTG.

I see that the blueprints specify a receiver width dimension of 2.200" but upon measuring our kits (we were fortunate enough to receive kits where the cut was made through the receiver rail tab hole) I found that the front part of our original receivers that are still attached to the barrel shroud measure 2.178". My question then is this; when fitting the two halves of the BRP receiver should we match up the width to the original receiver or stick with the 2.200" dimension given on the blueprints?
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

MrWizard
1st Welcome to the board
2nd Good Luck with the build, review the posted info.

Later 42rocker
bostonscott05

Post by bostonscott05 »

Iv been tasked with building 2 mg42's. one of which is a YUGO....IM meeting the customer tomorrow to look at recieve the kits and go over and inventory all the pieces. I have NO IDEA where they came from yet and am a little aprehensive on them. I currently have 2 M60's im working on from the same customer and one of the kits was totally fubar from the jump....so...can someone please drop me a line with some kind of suggestions on how I should go about approaching this build...