Getting it to shoot right???

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Getting it to shoot right???

Post by ChrisPCook »

So, I have looked through some of the old threads, and pretty much know the deal. I have a PBB grip and AR15 (DPMS) FCG. The hammer was dragging on the bottom of the bolt severely with the gripstick cinched up in the tight position. I was able to loosen the allen screw and drop the height of the gripstick to obtain clearance of the hammer, but now the gripstick rattles around.

So, what I did (and it may have been a mistake, albeit a simple one to fix) is grind off some of the top of the hammer to get it to clear the bolt (of course now I'm losing mass which can lead to lighter primer strikes). Which in fact it did. So, I ordered the Wolf Springs. Put it in tonight, and bam...got contact on a piece of primered brass. Tried another...and another, all of which had light strikes.

Now here is where my question comes in....I may go back to my friendly gunsmith and buy another AR Hammer to get my mass back in the hammer. Have some of you Panaceabeachbum grip users had to resort to keeping the grip stick low with a gap between the stick and receiver (which of course will let it move around and rattle) in order to get clearance between the bolt and the hammer? And with it in the lower position being able to maintain a complete hammer in order to keep the mass.....

Thanks, Chris....

This has been a never ending project, between three kids and never seeming to have enough time to work on stuff, and all the other projects I get sidetracked on...... But, I'm almost there, I can feel it.....
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Getting it to shoot right???

Post by bolex »

Who did the bolt mods? I have the Wiselite grip so I can't give an answer on your grip (I am using a PBB bolt). I lightened my hammer (AR15) also and with the wolf spring no problems setting the rounds off. Because of this I would also check the other areas that you may have problems:

How far does the firing pin extend from the bolt face?
Is the hammer vertical when it contacts the firing pin?
Does the firing pin have free movement in the bolt when locked in the barrel?

Just some ideas, and good luck
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

I have a Pirate Bolt, and a AR15 FCG, by lowering the grip height a bit I was able to get more reliable hits on the primers, now the handle wiggles a little, but at least I'm getting reliable primer hits now. Next step, off to the range..... Chris....
jstrohm
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by jstrohm »

Hey Chris I had a similar problem with my second build, and here is what i found. on the bolt body on the bottom side right in front of where there lugs were grond off there was a grove in the casting where the hammer would snag when the bolt travled back forward. i welded it up and ground it flush and it took cared of that problem. also where the lugs are ground off was at a slight angle and the hammer would dig in on one corner. after i took care of these to things i was trouble free. let me know what you find and if you have any more questions let me know.
jstrohm
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by jstrohm »

both of my pbb grips fit snugly and they work fine that way. the only ammo i have light strikes on is anything that is not romaninan. this stuff is the best to run in them from my experince.