firing problems

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
setlab

firing problems

Post by setlab »

I just got my mg42 together and took her out to the range today but am having some trouble. When I fire the gun it just dents the primer, I'm thinking a longer firing pin might fix it. Anyone else have this problem?
mdm2

Re: firing problems

Post by mdm2 »

If you are useing an ar fire control group i bet a wolf extra hammer spring would fix it,they are supposed to be 2X more powerful than stock, I think this is why some guys use the fal fire control group, it has more striking power tha the ar
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

yes lots of people have reported that problem.
we can help but need to know
  • Semi or FA
    which FCG are you using
    what ammo 8MM,.308, old surplus/new manufacture
    who did or designed your gripstick
    who did or designed your bolt
    one or two piece firing pin
    do you have another barrel/bolt combo to try
    any idea of your headspace
    did you start testing by handfeeding her?
    .... where you load a round into the barrel and then let to bolt fly home, check the bolt is locked to the barrel extention, then close the topcover & try to fire by pulling the trigger.
Chances are its old 8MM ammo giving you problems but you also want to look at how worn is your striker and your original FP tip.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
setlab

Post by setlab »

Well, its a semi auto and I'm using the wiselite/weaponeer grip stick with the ar fcg. I did the bolt though and used a two piece firing pin design. I am using surplus 8mm and I don't have headspace gauges or a spare bolt or barrel. I did try hand loading a round in the barrel too and had the same results. The original firing pin looks to still be good also. I think I'll try the +wolf spring idea though. I tried using different length firing pins this morning and it didn't work, could I just have some ammo with extra hard primers? I'm not sure what country these rounds came from.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

setlab wrote:..... I think I'll try the +wolf spring idea though. I tried using different length firing pins this morning and it didn't work, could I just have some ammo with extra hard primers? I'm not sure what country these rounds came from.
I had problems with the wiselite grip and standard spring, replaced it with wolf, now no problems.
avman
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by avman »

I did not know wolf had a heavy duty spring. THANKS for the info. I have the same problem.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

like i said its probably just hard primers on the old surplus 8MM.

If you can pick up a box of new production 8MM just to hand feed, as most, if not all has a soft point that won't feed too well normally. this should tell you if the wolf spring will solve your issue, or if you have other problems as well.
we've seen more problems from too long FP extensions than too short. do you have a window in your bolt extension to check the hammers is at 90'+ ? If its less than the full 90 degrees your losing a lot of potential kinetic energy.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
mp40guy

Post by mp40guy »

I was reading this thread and was wondering where do you get these wolf parts?
I tried googleing them with no luck and there is no link in the canteen.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

mp40guy wrote:I was reading this thread and was wondering where do you get these wolf parts?
I tried googleing them with no luck and there is no link in the canteen.
brownells sells them.
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »