80% builds

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
par0thead151

80% builds

Post by par0thead151 »

looks like i will be doing the 80% build after all, mostly due to limited funds, and my desire to acquire all necessary parts now while they are relatively cheap and available.
I am wondering if there is a manual or tutorial online, or one i can purchase in hard copy that will give the specifics of what needs to be done to create a reliable 100% receiver from the 2 halves. I have read all the 100% tutorials and re-weld tutorials but not much is out there regarding the 80% builds.
thanks
nutsrusted

Re: 80% builds

Post by nutsrusted »

Does brp still have the halves for sale? Keep in mind you are going to need a mill and lathe to complete it.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I keep hearing about 80%,100%,whatever.Does anyone know what that really means? Can anyone explain it in simple terms,and maybe with pictures of each? :? Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
nutsrusted

Post by nutsrusted »

Bil, see rear stampings at.

http://www.brpguns.com/42semikit.htm
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Bil wrote:I keep hearing about 80%,100%,whatever.Does anyone know what that really means? Can anyone explain it in simple terms,and maybe with pictures of each? :? Thanks. ---bil

What Bil said !! IAW IAW IAW IAW IAW IAW

I think I'm 100% confused as to this percentage stuff.

But I'm 80% sure that somebody will take a stab at defining the terms.

I figure the resolution will eventually clear up . . . oh . . . maybe 10% of the confusion.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Basic definitions:

100% is a receiver that the BATF considers a firearm and needs to go through an FFL.

80% is a non-legal term that the BATF does not use.
To the BATF it is either a firearm or not. The 80% is a sales term to inform the buyer that the receiver is not considered a firearm by the BATF. Companies that sell these generally supply a sample to the BATF for a determination whether or not the "blank, flat or channel" is a firearm or not and have a letter from the BATF stating that the part is not considered a firearm.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

I forgot, The 100% receiver is a firearm, however some require machining to produce a final complete receiver. The Wise Lite SA 42 receiver is one of those, it requires welding (to a barrel shroud) and some machining to fit parts. If you read pirate's build you will see that machining to fit parts (buffer, top cover,etc.) on the receiver is required.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

par0thead151 wrote:looks like i will be doing the 80% build after all, mostly due to limited funds, and my desire to acquire all necessary parts now while they are relatively cheap and available.
I am wondering if there is a manual or tutorial online, or one i can purchase in hard copy that will give the specifics of what needs to be done to create a reliable 100% receiver from the 2 halves. I have read all the 100% tutorials and re-weld tutorials but not much is out there regarding the 80% builds.
thanks
An 80% receiver build is similar to a re-weld build. I did an 80% build on a coldsteel receiver. The main difference is that all the holes have to be located and not just worry about the length along the receiver. This is the information I posted on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5147

If you read the entire thread you will see that several people were displeased with what they got from coldsteel. I was happy with mine and understand that the quality of the Coldsteel receiver is minimal. Do not forget the cost of the bolt modifications and grip to semi auto.