Wise lite rec and my shroud question

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Wise lite rec and my shroud question

Post by bolex »

Bil wrote:The 0nly way I can think an extention would work is if it was extended to the REAR,into the buttstock.As I said earlier,there is at least one of us here that has done that,and it works.A lot of work,I am working on the same idea,still in the beginning stages.Hopefully it will work OK. ---bil

Did you give up on the "new" spring? I'm still waiting. The new spring design idea should work if the plan is to use a better (higher tensile strength material like chrome silicon) spring wire and reduce the wire diameter to shorten the solid length. This would get a spring with the same power as the original spring only with the ability to fit in our semi's.
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

my cut spring is working fine.....

am i missing something here?

is it gonna give up the ghost or something? (those that have seen my short video seem to think its working fine.)
say what you mean & mean what you say
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The cut spring works fine,but it is not as strong as the full length,with some weaker springs it can give trouble,also when you cot it,there no longer is the nice 'flat';on the end[rear] and the spring can get cocked off to one side.My cut spring works fine also.You also have to make sure you don't take off too much,and also take off enough.No biggie,but it would be nice to have a spring that doesn't need messing with. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
mdm2

Post by mdm2 »

I guess i dont understand why the longer reciever wont work .The positioning of the grip is the same and the recuperator to the cam section but the buffer tabs are in relation to the back wich is longer .The stroke of the bolt is the same as original because they add an extension to the buffer spring. I think you will find that all the centry guns are this way, i would love to hear some info before i get to much farther on these builds.
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

Bil,

used the "sneak up on it" approach on mine, and then cut it with a set of bolt cutters instead of something that generated heat. this particualr it had zero in the wear dept.. so im guessing it hadnt been used much.

yeah its working great! but if someone does actually get a spring that is closed on both ends with the proper force id be in for a couple while they were available.
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

My wise lite rear (rough measurements) overall length 16-3/4"

rear to rear of grip stick cut out 7"

rear to first rivet hole 3.3"

:?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

mdm2-are you building them all at once? and are you using the yugo kits,or a demiled German kit? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

railsplitter got one of those LONG WLA rear sections we were talking about in another thread...

nothing wrong with that.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

BRP sells a shorter spring for the MG42, Is it OK to use or is it too weak?
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
mdm2

Post by mdm2 »

It is a build i am doin with some friends we each have our part most of us work together in my machine shop i will end up with two for myself the other three are for the other guys at work some of the kits are german and some are m53 kits such an involved build is a great one two do with others so talents can be shared the one guy just made a alignment fixture out of a piece of thompson rod it uses a bushing in the front bearing and the back of a barrel ,it has two edm wired pieces to align rails and a modified buffer each piece has a precision edm wired hole in it and when the rod is installed it aligns everything from the barrel bushing to the barrel gate to the rails and then to the buffer if this makes any sense there is as much work in this fixture as a complete build but they will be true when done probably better than original i will try to get some pictures not real good at the digital thing
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

sounds good-I used the jig like Pirate and Pete Stout,yours sounds good for the 'production'work you are doing.I wish there was someone near me to work on these with.Remember when you get to the rivet part,I still have them to give away! :D ---bil