New wise lite receivers

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Pirate
General
General

New wise lite receivers

Post by Pirate »

I am not trying to shill these , but I can't believe the members aren't jumping for joy now that these are available. With all the talk and speculation about where to get a rear for the last year, they have arrived and no one is even commenting on it.

This is the best thing to happen in a long time, these are top quality, legal, BATF approved parts, what more could anyone ask for?
drooling idiot
General
General

Re: New wise lite receivers

Post by drooling idiot »

I think the $850 plus shipping , plus FFL mark up , has caused some sticker shock. :shock:
I have the feeling most guys were expecting rear receivers to be around $500. with whole German receivers selling for just a little more and having the barrel bearing which makes them actually cheaper than wise lite i don't see a huge rush.
plus we could still be in summer slump in the gun industry.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Considering that you are getting a BATF approved registered 100% legal receiver it is woth every penny in my book.
when you add $850 for the rec, $125 for the bushing and $350 for a kit, another couple hundred for semi mods you are looking at $1500.00 to $1700.00 for a $2500.00 or more gun, that ain't to shabby. when you consider the amount of time it takes to do a proper reweld and fit and finish the receiver you are in the same price range or more for a homebuilt with no ser # or approval.
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

I know some people that are considering them. They actually want just the camming section, they have the rest, but are considering the full rear. The price isn't helping.

I think the reason you aren't seeing more action is the fact several cut receivers have hit the market recently. I just sold two and have another three cut for sale. There have been at least two other three cuts that sold in the past couple of weeks by others.

Also, I think the fact Knob Creek is coming in a few weeks tends to suppress the market for all gun parts. I know I am saving up for it.

If Wiselite has them at KCR they will probably sell out. Getting to see and touch the receiver sections will lead to more sales.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Ok, lets see: $200+ for Century parts kit, $300+ coldsteel receiver, $125+ threaded end, $125+ weaponeer grip, $35+ ratchet plate = $785. Without the welder I'm still far ahead, and it still isn't German either way. I bought a built bolt and some spare parts because I was lazy and wanted to go shooting, there was nothing that I couldn't have done because of the excellent information on this forum.

HF TIG welder $150 ($200 on sale with 25% off coupon). I wish I had been motivated to buy one of these welders before. This one enlightenment was worth the effort.

At $850 for the receiver + parts kit I wouldn't have started this journey. I can look at my past and know this. $200 here and $300 there sounds a lot better.
I look at this as a building experiance, challenge and fun to shoot.

Just one point of view.
carlque
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by carlque »

WELL! I was hopeing for an 80%,I have been waiting to see who might come up with a decent 42 rear receiver I can do the mods and cuts myself! AT $850 thats WAY over MY budget! I would STILL have to go through an FFL! THAT would add another $100.00, then I would STILL have to pay to have it welded up (about $500.00 with shipping)! THEN the bolt and grip mods! I just don't see the BENEFIT of going THIS way! I am really disappointed, but I should NOT be suprised, as WLA is WLA!!! I guess I will be calling Coldsteel tomorrow! carlque
wiselitearms

Post by wiselitearms »

Cpt_Kirks wrote:I know some people that are considering them. They actually want just the camming section, they have the rest, but are considering the full rear. The price isn't helping.

I think the reason you aren't seeing more action is the fact several cut receivers have hit the market recently. I just sold two and have another three cut for sale. There have been at least two other three cuts that sold in the past couple of weeks by others.

Also, I think the fact Knob Creek is coming in a few weeks tends to suppress the market for all gun parts. I know I am saving up for it.

If Wiselite has them at KCR they will probably sell out. Getting to see and touch the receiver sections will lead to more sales.
Wise Lite Arms still has the camming sections for sale. These are the same ones that "PIRATE" used in his tutorial. They are a non-FFL item (per BATFE FTB).
To order you can contact me at:
sales@wlarms.com
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

"...for an 80%,I have been waiting to see who might come up with a decent 42 rear receiver"

I started ordering back in February and from what I read Coldsteel has gone up in prices, check the website. Mine was an 8 week wait, the parts kit from centerfire was 6 months (I bought one from MGS off gB for $235 in may/june? because I got tired of waiting, still have the centerfire one, most likely sale for profit in future)

My Coldsteel rear receiver needed work to turn it into a functioning rear receiver, not just holes in the right spots.

Some of this was in the thread> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5147. A lot of fitting was needed to get the parts to fit right. Going over some of the welds and removing weld splatter, etc. My guess is the the wise lite receivers will not need the extra intensive care. Now the upside of the Coldsteel receiver is that it gives you a foundation to work from. 0.100" thick steel would not be easy to form in the 18" length. The design of the MG 42 hides a good portion of the rear receiver (top cover, ratchet plate charge handle on bottom) so a lot of the cosmetic defects are well hidden. I feel that it was good value for what you pay for it. I am sure that the wise lite would be a lot easier and it comes with papers.

Bottom line: Mine works looks good and I am happy.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

You need to understand that there is no comaprison between a CS rear and the ones form wise lite. While I give CS a lot of credit for attempting to hammer out a rear, it is not a precision dimentionally correct stamping made in a die. It is also not BATF approved, this is a major consideration in lieu of the pending investigation with Halo Mfg and thier 80% 1919 side plates. Yes it costs more up front, but in the end you have an approved, transferrable firearm. There are more things to consider than "cheap"
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I think if you look at the prices that have been out there for German 3 or 4 cut kits,they have been around 1200 or so.And these are real German guns,with marks.I know that doesn't mean a lot to some folks that just like the gun or just to shoot.Compare Wise-lite receiver plus Yugo kit ,and bearing repair part.It comes out about the same.The work is about the same to build,and the mods will cost the same for either way.So you are really looking at about the same cost and work.No matter how you look at it,they are comparable.If you want a cheaper receiver ,be ready to do more work to it.What you are paying for is for someone else[wise-lite] to do some of the work.Not everybody is capable of doing this work,and this is an excellant substitute.I think it is unreasonable to expect a quality,precise legal part for much less.{I am not shilling for them either,} This is just my opinion,based on market study and some knowledge building my 42. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

you also need to consider the 11% excise tax paid on the receiver.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

$93.50?? But I am assuming that all of us that sell here are reporting and paying the sales tax on everything also! :? :? :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Bil wrote:$93.50?? But I am assuming that all of us that sell here are reporting and paying the sales tax on everything also! :? :? :D ---bil
Doesn't apply to home builders. You have to have an 07 FFL.

(And it isn't a sales tax. It is an excise tax on new receiver builds)
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

You missed the' :? :? :D ' heads-I would try to pay as little tax as possible,I hope you all are the same. I still think if you factor in the work,the prices are about the same.Personally I am willing to pay a little more to get one with the original markings and original dimentions. ---bil
nutsrusted

Post by nutsrusted »

Guys,

This part is missing more that just rails. From the pics it apprears they didn't fly cut and mill the slot for the buffer to rotate and fit in. Sure you could get in with a dremmel and hand fit the buffer but it probably won't not turn out that great. I had to do this with my CS receiver and it's kind of a hack compared to the original German I looked at. I wouldn't even consider buying for that price especially w/o doing the fly cutting because for that price I want a plug 'n' play part. Personally I think if they dropped the price to about 400.00 w/o the holes to avoid the FFL BS, they would sell like hot cakes.
wiselitearms

Post by wiselitearms »

nutsrusted wrote:Guys,

This part is missing more that just rails. From the pics it apprears they didn't fly cut and mill the slot for the buffer to rotate and fit in. Sure you could get in with a dremmel and hand fit the buffer but it probably won't not turn out that great. I had to do this with my CS receiver and it's kind of a hack compared to the original German I looked at. I wouldn't even consider buying for that price especially w/o doing the fly cutting because for that price I want a plug 'n' play part. Personally I think if they dropped the price to about 400.00 w/o the holes to avoid the FFL BS, they would sell like hot cakes.
The rails are included in the Yugo M53/MG42 part set that you purchase.
The machine work that is required to properly install the buttstock/buffer has indeed been accomplished. Sherry just wasn't hired at WLA due to her skill with a camera!
This is about as "plug and play" as it can be. We even include the rivets and the weld-on bolt extension.
nutsrusted

Post by nutsrusted »

I totally apologize I couldn't see that in the picture. With that I think it's safe to say this is about as complete as you can get.
wiselitearms

Post by wiselitearms »

No need to apologize. Tony told me several times that the receivers would have that clearance cut. He emphasized that work because he knew it would be tough to accomplish with hand held power tools. I should have made the feature clearer in my text description.
The idea of this project was to provide a product as complete as possible. We used the same parts and processes as we do in manufacture. I held off placing any notices until we had these stocked and ready to ship. With all the waiting I have seen on forums (Wise Lite Arms included) I didn't want to make anyone wait for this product to be delivered.
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

I wonder how long it will be before so many are hammering their heads saying "I should have bought a dozen of those WLAs when they were so cheap!"....

The point is well made about historical nuts who want to keep the German WWII waffenampt. But for the majority of the ubiquitous M53 kits, who cares? First, they have no waffenampt, second most have no rear receiver pieces anyway! So for those with the partial M53 kits, the WLA solution is the best bet.

To add one more point of view, yes I expected them to cost less. When it's all added up (receiver, bearing, etc) yeah, it'll cost more than I want to spend right now to get a semi M53 together...but I do have ol' MU dfb to keep me happy too. And, yes, I'll probably be banging my head on the table....
FNG
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Abominog wrote:I wonder how long it will be before so many are hammering their heads saying "I should have bought a dozen of those WLAs when they were so cheap!"....
Well, since they are selling only one per customer, that shouldn't be an issue.