A concise collection of how to get my kit built?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Abominog
Major
Major

A concise collection of how to get my kit built?

Post by Abominog »

Hi all,

First, let me say that my background is FALs, which I can build with my eyes closed. However, I have no real mechanical or welding skills or tools. So in reality, I need to have my kit built for me.

I've read the posts on building, and know some about rewelding, grip mods, etc. There are some items which I really just don't understand though.

I've read that huntsinmts can do the reweld and grip cutout mod, but what's left after that? Shortrnd has threatened to get together a complete SA conversion kit, but in the interim, who's the best? And again, what isn't done? What do I have to source out to somewhere?

I figure that there are going to be a bunch of people out there like me who are a bit confused about where to source what parts and services. So can we ask for a concise thread that lists all of these?
FNG
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

bolt and grip to hunts best quality for the $, he is doing some rec welding work but you need to contact him on that as he will only do so much to be legal, the sa rec. from brp will still need alot of work finish and riviting fitting of parts etc (from my observations) so after the mods and weldin you still need to do the rivitin, I had tanker make me a custom buck bar but have not tried it yet I have spoke to al least one person that installed the rivets and burned them down with the welder instead of bucking them and it seems to work, remember this is a stamped tin gun not a finely machined steel weapon so it may not look perfect
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Thanks Tom.

I was trying to figure out what else has to be done after huntinmts does his work. As I'd said, I've no welding or riviting skills/ tools. So maybe I wasted my money on a project that will never be completed!
FNG
stifeout
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by stifeout »

No way abominog, do not sell.......it could be one of those things you wish you hadn't sold :o
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

ABOMING where are you located? someone can help you :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Jason

Post by Jason »

Aboming, dont sell.

just hang around and read the posts. sooner or later it will start to make sense and you can proceed with the build.

Just remember that the project dosent have to be done overnight. (Although the wait can be a bear)
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

definitely not a waste of money unless you sell now.
hold the kit , list your area on your bio. with time the untouched kit will climb in value or more likely you'll find help finishing the kit.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

Abominog wrote:Thanks Tom.

I was trying to figure out what else has to be done after huntinmts does his work. As I'd said, I've no welding or riviting skills/ tools. So maybe I wasted my money on a project that will never be completed!
Welcome to the board dude.
Try not to start off on the wrong way of thinking. There's more than one way to skin that cat.
There's a board member here that had never welded before, but bought a kit, and bought a welder, and in less than 2 months
was showing us pictures of him shooting the thing !!
It's a waste of money if your trying to turn a buck with it tomorrow, or didn't pay the electric bill this month to purchase it, but a damn
good investment if you can shove it under the bed for a year or two, and whip it out when people start talking about the good
ol days back in the summer of 2005. Remember, they USED to sell these kits Bandsaw cut !!
The Grip and bolt will be the brainteaser, but still, if you network (I see guys trying to find out your location to help) I'm sure
you'll meet, and make friends with guys in your area to get a group project going.
If you have some cash, get on Huntsmnt's List for grip and bolt now. I believe he's meticulous in his machine work, so there's time in his work, but add to that all these people from that group buy on '42s from weaponeer, and he may never get to you, or it may take Many months to produce. He's pleasant to communicate with too. What more could you ask for?
Anyway...
Glad you joined the board. let us know how you go about it.
Karb in Virginia
huntsinmtns

Post by huntsinmtns »

The question is asked what is left to do after me, this is the basic weapon after it leaves me. Yes their is finishing left to do, usually some weld pits around the the ratchet plate unless you want to put on a new one, their always areas that can be improved or changed. I will tell you that when you weld on the end do not expect it to go out run thru a belt ammo. It takes time to tweak it in and find the correct ammo combo for each weapon especially 308's. the following are pics of it looks like.

GR
Attachments
80% gun 006.jpg
80% gun 006.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
huntsinmtns

Post by huntsinmtns »

next
Attachments
80% gun 007.jpg
80% gun 007.jpg (142.61 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
huntsinmtns

Post by huntsinmtns »

These were seated empties with live primers from surplus ammo 308, that were tested in weapon before being sent to Virginia. That is the most I can do. I try to keep my prices low. If people needed CNC or EDM or lots of programming in cad-cam it will get real expensive real fast. By havivng people finish their own welds which I do not believe the welds are excessive as seen in pics it keeps price down so I feel anyone can do it.
Attachments
80% gun 003.jpg
80% gun 003.jpg (146.99 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
huntsinmtns

Post by huntsinmtns »

And yes the rivets are tigged over 3/16" stove rivets that I can buy for 6.50 per pound ( that is alot), my weapon has over 1k rds thru it and I have yet to have a failure. Knock on wood with the 308's. I try to save as much money that I can for you guys and achieve equal or better longevity of parts and usage.

GR
slowfinger

Post by slowfinger »

Huntsnmountains, can you use pop rivets when testing the mg42 out the first time? Then I will use permanent rivets. Or is that too dangerous? Let me know....Slowfinger PS Regarding the rails...
huntsinmtns

Post by huntsinmtns »

I used 10-24 button head screws when I built my own, then put in rivets. I have had no problems.

GR
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

Huntsinmtns, I would really like to have you weld up my kit that I just got from the Weaponeer group buy. How much do you charge and can I get on your list?
robert_77354@yahoo.com