Difference between 42 & 53 recoil buffers

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
nutsrusted

Difference between 42 & 53 recoil buffers

Post by nutsrusted »

I was wondering what the difference is between the 43 and 53 recoil buffer. If anyone has any measurements I would appreciate it. It looks like it will work if I mill off the portion in the picture below. Top to bottom it looks like it's the same as noted in picture.

Thanks
ScottD
Major
Major

Re: Difference between 42 & 53 recoil buffers

Post by ScottD »

I may be mistaken, but it should fit without modification. I spent the better part of today cleaning up my welds and fitting my Yugo buffer to my German receiver. Didnt have to touch the buffer......
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
nutsrusted

Post by nutsrusted »

I read they are not compatible.
smokinggun

Post by smokinggun »

There not compatible with the stocks.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The buffers themselves will intewrchange,the stocks are a diferant thread and one is clockwise,the other not.There are other small changes,there is a good stickie with pictures in the stickie section. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

.......also note....that if your buffer-assembly will not turn inside your newly made SA42 receiver.....that the Germans "fly-cut" a slight clearance inside the receiver just in front of the locking-plates for the buffer.

As the others have said...the main-problem is the "interchangability between the interlocking/intrupted-threads at the rear of the buffer-assembly vs. the same threads inside the butt-stock's metal-cup.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
nutsrusted

Post by nutsrusted »

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I have one of those ColdSteel receivers and it doesn't insert or rotate. It catches on the corner profile of the charging slot area. I'll just mill the corner down inside the receiver. My only worry is I only have so much meat to work with.
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

I have one of those ColdSteel receivers
Thats your problem, in my opinion your MG will look bad after you are done.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I had a BRP receiver rear,I had to slightly enlarge the slot in the receiver to make it fit.It cuts easier than the buffer.I don't look too good either,but I still work! :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

hakentt wrote:
I have one of those ColdSteel receivers
Thats your problem, in my opinion your MG will look bad after you are done.
What kinda useless (Try a different word.) comment is this???? Didn't your mama ever teach you manners?
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

I ran into the problem with the buffer not rotating in the coldsteel receiver also. I used a a dremel and ground the diameter out to permit the rotation. This was done just for the area (width) of the buffer flange (see photo).
I also found that the inside diameter needed to be cleaned up to permit the buffer to fit into the entrance receiver.
nutsrusted

Post by nutsrusted »

bolex, thanks that's just the info I needed.

hakentt, actually It will look better than it does now as half a receiver and it will work a whole lot better.

And about your comment.. here's something to think about from a guy that has been in industry...

I have to hand it to ColdSteel, to bang one of those out by hand is amazing. Sure it probably isn't to spec but I'm still impressed. In modern industry they would laser cut the blank and then fold it up with a press brake with a CNC back guage but those machines cost a ton of money. An AMADA like mauser has access to is over a million dollars Anyone who can afford to own and operate those machines will more than likely not be interested in building machine gun receivers

So, thank ColdSteel for doing what you do with what you have!
mauser
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by mauser »

amada i wish,
im just trying to fix this mg42 receiver problem and will do my best to do so.always count me in before you count me out .should be extremly soon for that fix .just waiting on the feds for the ok then its pics ,price and lots of completed mg42's ..thanks

also i read all the problem threads to see what potentially could be a problem for mine ,the buffer problem above will not be a problem as for many ohters that have surfaced here in the past ..thanks