Anybody pop rivet their rails?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ScottD
Major
Major

Anybody pop rivet their rails?

Post by ScottD »

Well, being the new guy around here I figured ID ask. Has anybody pop riveted their rails and how did it work out? I know its not authentic, but it sure would be a hell of alot easier.

Oh, and sorry for having 3 threads in a row! Cmon people, post more!
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Re: Anybody pop rivet their rails?

Post by M1 Tanker »

Why pop rivet? I don't think it would hold up and its easy to rivet the rails in. Matter of fact, I think Pirate even offers the buck, so all you need to $10 worth of rivets, a simple rivet tool and a hammer. I wouldn't trust pop rivets on a firearm man.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

And the rivets are free!!! Look for my free rivet post. :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
fjruple
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fjruple »

I tested some steel aircraft grade pop rivets on my rails. First time to the range and half of them shot loose. Replaced them all with steel and no problems.

--fjruple
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

fjruple wrote:I tested some steel aircraft grade pop rivets on my rails. First time to the range and half of them shot loose. Replaced them all with steel and no problems.

--fjruple
I would think the flexing of the receiver during operation would loosen the pop rivets up. Which rivets loosened up? Were they all toward the cam, random, one side or torward the buffer?
propos

Post by propos »

Do it right and get some of rainbow bil's FREE rivets. You'll be glad you did.
fjruple
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fjruple »

bolex wrote:
fjruple wrote:I tested some steel aircraft grade pop rivets on my rails. First time to the range and half of them shot loose. Replaced them all with steel and no problems.

--fjruple
I would think the flexing of the receiver during operation would loosen the pop rivets up. Which rivets loosened up? Were they all toward the cam, random, one side or torward the buffer?
They were pretty randomed across the board when they loosen up. I didn't want to risk damaging the gun with the loose rivets so I had TomR replace them. The SA42 works fine with the solid steel rivets.

--fjruple