Weaponeer M53/MG42 Stick Grip

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Weaponeer M53/MG42 Stick Grip

Post by bolex »

Has anyone used the Weaponeer M53/NG42 semi auto Grip Stick? I am using the CS 80% receiver and of course the first item of business is to lengthen the grip stick slot to prevent the FA grip stick from working. Which I have done. The problem that I am seeing is the the grip stick front locking tab has a wider slot than the receiver metal width, looks about .200" width slot. With this width slot the grip stick isn't held down against the receiver. I'll take photos later. What I have also noted is that most of the MG42s built were made from 3 or 4 piece receiver kits add not many from 80% receivers.
cz2
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by cz2 »

Hi All,
Pretty much rookie questions on WLA grip sticks.It looks like it locates/locks in the rear of the ejection port,correct? Any issues with closing up the rear of the port this much? With a original rear receiver is it required to cut out all the metal between the ejector slot and grip stick opening? Installing the WLA grip stick is by positioning it 90 degrees to the rec. axis,rotate 1/4 turn,slide rearward and pin?
Trying to decide, buy/build on grip stick.
thx,cz2
All glory is fleeting.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

pictures would help greatly.

Most here have built their SA42's based on 3-4 cut rec. and have used either Pirate's grip FAL grip design or Panaceabeachbum's grip stick. I know that WLA's grip is based on Pbb's grip, but don't know if the diamensions are exact and don't have a WLA to compair. So picture's would help to give the "best" advise and guidance.

Not sure on what "wider slot" on grip you are talking about. Are you talking about a "wider tab, perhaps"?

TC
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

I finally just machined the slot and fit the weaponeer grip. The slot width of the grip tab is shown in this photo. As you can see the slot is more than two thicknesses of receiver steel. the ejection slot and the grip slot now are one.
Critical Dimensions

Post by Critical Dimensions »

The extra machining to the receiver, i.e. one long grip slot & ejection port is unusual compared to other working designs. This long slot requirement to use the WLA grip stick has never been mentioned during the sales of the semi grip sticks. In addition the reinforcement rib that runs the length of the recuperator must also have a slot cut into it for the grip stick to attach. These additional machining requirements seem counter productive when there is already a grip available that will work without further machining to the receiver and recuperator. I bought one of the WLA semi grips sticks and already have one from Thompson Machine. For my builds I'm using the Thompson Machine semi grip to avoid the additional machining, it works great and requires no additional machining to receiver or recuperator.
I used the Thompson Machine semi-bolt and grip stick. Runs great.
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

[quote="Critical Dimensions"] I bought one of the WLA semi grips sticks and already have one from Thompson Machine.
CD --

Could you post detailed photos of the WLA and TM gripsticks side by side for comparison? I think these are the first discussions we've had concerning the attachment differences between the two designs. Some detailed pics and further discussion will help everybody decide which design to go with.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,these comparisons would be great to see.I have Pirates conversions,and I know of Panaceabeachbums and Wla.This is the first I have heard of Thompsons.It is nice to know there are others,and would like to see a comparison of them.Thank you! ---bil
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

i believe beachbum owns thompson machine ? not 100% sure he owns it but he seems to have the run of the place.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
avman
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by avman »

One thing neat about the WLA grip is that it has a safety. I did not care to cut out the extra metal but it works fine.

Can you put a safety on other two guy's grips?
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

avman wrote:One thing neat about the WLA grip is that it has a safety. I did not care to cut out the extra metal but it works fine.

Can you put a safety on other two guy's grips?
yes, it is possible to put a safety in the panaceabeachbum grip (Thompson machine) I am working on such a safety. It will be a push, pull safety with a small ball and spring detent.

I like the pbb grip because you can adjust the tab hook for the right fittment you need. It works great and is a drop in fit. Also, the components are AR and drop in fit. One thing, if you order one from beachbum, and you want to put a safety in it in the future or do not want any trigger slap. then have him locate the hole for the safety.

TC
Sisu
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Sisu »

If the WLA grip front attachment "ear" gets in the way of the recouperator, wouldn't be easier to trim down the ear a bit, rather than machining a slot if the recouperator itself?
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

Got the WLA gripstick too but I'm reluctant to remove all the metal between the ejection and grip slot. Looks to me like it would weaken the longitudinal stability of the center of the receiver considerably. Think I'll go with a different gripstick instead.
Critical Dimensions

Cutting the "ear" would be easier but it won't work due to the small size of the ear. Trim it down and it no longer hangs properly. That is only part of the problem. Pictures have been posted on weaponeer of the Century or WLA built receiver and it's obvious from the pics that the receiver is laid out different dimensionally as far as the placement of the grip stick slot and ejection port. The grip stick is designed with usage with that receiver only and is not compatible with BRP or original receiver layouts.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

If you go to the weaponeer site and go to the grip forum (there is a link on the Grip Stick description) he has photo of the Century SA MG42 with this grip stick in stalled. In the Century MG42 they did not machine the web out. I believe that the Coldsteel 80% receiver had the ejection port machined longer torward the grip slot then Century did. Not having the Century MG42 dimensions it is hard to tell. I will most likely weld a metal web between the two slots when I start welding this thing back together and match the century design or not.
Critical Dimensions

Also note in those pics on Weaponeer that the grip stick installs only in their grip stick slot. It does not hang from the rear of the ejection port. Compare with the pics I posted earlier in the thread of my receiver and you can see the Century/WLA receiver is dimensionally different as to the layout of the grip stick slot and ejection port. I do not plan on using the WLA grip stick on my gun, as I do not want to modify the receiver any further than the semi-auto requirements. It's important that others know the difference up front before purchasing the WLA grip stick. I going to stay with the Thompson Machine/PCB grip stick, it works without any modification and I recommend it for any homebuilder and for BRP receiver builds.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Good information here on the Wiselite grip stick and receiver combination.

I second the recommendation for the Thompson Machine grip stick.

TC
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

The radius circled in the photo was at the end of the ejector slot on the CS receiver. There was not much material left for a web. If you are building from the M53 parts kits then you do not have the original rear receiver to work with, so modifications in this area should not be an issue. The only thing that I can see as a possible problem is the shorter ejection port interfering with the case ejection. The location of the hammer maybe better in this position. I haven't gotten to that point yet.
PKw VI Tiger1

Post by PKw VI Tiger1 »

The web can still be there you just have to carefully file until it is just the right size. On my BRP reciever from last years Weaponeer group buy it ended up being the angled part in between the two ports. The web also acts as a limiter to keep the hammer from striking the soft aluminum if it is dry fired.

These two pictures show the safety that I added using the original safety button, and it also uses one of the pins from the original grip to limit the trigger travel after the trigger relieses the hammer.
Safety Off

Safety On

The hammer and disconnector engagement surfaces had to be modified to work right but since I did it works fine. Descient cold blue job if I do say so myself.
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

PKw VI Tiger1

Thanks for the photos and your info. I've got the WLA gripstick but now doubt that I'll use it. I think that for rigidity of the receiver I don't want to cut that much metal away. I'll probably go with Pirate's version or Panacea's.
Critical Dimensions

I think there are going to be alot more people who decide not to use the WLA grip stick after buying it. Just wish it could have been mentioned up front that the WLA grip stick is not compatible with all other builds other than the Century design before everyone bought them and waited to get them. Hopefully WLA will be able to soon offer the receiver rear blank section to go with their grip stick. It's great to have a site such as this to share info and experiences about builds, thanks to everyone who participates in making sure that info gets put out for others to learn from.
After this fiasco I'm thinking of machining new semi grip sticks complete for the FAL fcg.