SA-MG42: AR 1943 Manufacture reborn

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
vik
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

SA-MG42: AR 1943 Manufacture reborn

Post by vik »

Alright guys I finally got my SAMG42 up and running although it still needs some tweking on the striker spring I think....still having some FTF's about every 5-10 rounds or so even with the primer dented in big time...they always pop the 2nd time around though, my only guess is that the older hard ass primers just aren't getting quite enough smack.

Any thoughts on correcting this problem??? I am using pirates FAL FCG.

She shoots a little left which should be easy to fix and I have no failure's to advance which is a good thing and she ejects everything great...just gotta fix the FTF's!

I must THANK....PETE STOUT and PIRATE for their work and services they are both second to none with their craft and their products are also second to none....without them this gun would never have run again!!! Thanks again gentlemen!!!

The reciever is an AR 43 and most of the parts are original except the barrel shroud which is a post war yugo M53 which if I get the AA mounts put on soon shouldn't be noticable. Lots of work, lots of tweaking but fun, fun, fun!!!
Attachments
DSC02024.JPG
DSC02024.JPG (868.56 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
DSC02034.JPG
DSC02034.JPG (857.27 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
DSC02038.JPG
DSC02038.JPG (894.4 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

Congrats........I bet your a happy man..

Maybe one day I too will be able to post this kind of report.

Enjoy your new SA42.........she looks great.

RR
stifeout
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by stifeout »

excellent Vic!!! :D She's a beaut enjoy!
mr. wipple

Post by mr. wipple »

Congradulations :D . That looks very nice. Now comes the fun part of fine tuning.
propos

Post by propos »

Looks like you're shooting Romanian 8mm. Correct? My gun loves the Romy stuff. Yugo is a little different though. Hard primers. But I believe I have a fix for the Yugo ammo.
Very nice looking SA42. Congrats.
kusojijii

Post by kusojijii »

sweet firearm, make me itchy to get going on mine
vik
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by vik »

Propos

Yup its Romy it loves most of it...still having a few failure to fires any suggestions?

Vik, Out!
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Awesome gun! I feel a little sad because I think that I had started my gun before you did, but I have not finished mine yet..... Ha ha, you beat me! Mine is also going to be a Mauser.....
"The best argument against democracy is a
five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill, 1874 – 1965.

"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think." Adolph Hitler
vik
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by vik »

Don't feel bad.....I can't take credit for most of it like I said without Pete Stout or Pirate it wouldn't be up and running.
propos

Post by propos »

I think that you may have to live with the misfires. Although a heavier hammer spring may help. I have a heavy duty Wolff spring on my AR15 setup, but I still have misfires with Yugo. I might have to get some coil spring stock from Brownells and make a super heavy duty spring. But I believe that my hammer was rubbing against the recoil spring. I turned the spring around so that the cut end is against the bolt extension. That may work. Then again maybe it won't.
Let's face facts guys. You don't take these gadgets out of a box and start shooting. Sometimes you have to fiddle with them to get them working. But that's part of the fun. And you really learn a lot about your "firearm". Just don't give up. Keep trying until you have the problem corrected. That way you'll be better prepared for the next glitch that pops up. :D
I still don't know why I had links on a new belt break. Could be a bad belt. Only 3 links went bad on me, the rest of the belt ran fine. One link actually blew apart. It clogged up the feed mechinism Until I cleared the jam.
Concerning any rounds that misfired, I shoot them in my M48 Yugo Mauser. They go off real good in that gun.
vik
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by vik »

When I have misfires, I just pic them up wipe them off put back in belt and they always pop the second go round.
propos

Post by propos »

I'm too damn lazy to stick them back in the belt. I throw them into a box. After all, the M48 Mauser likes to eat too.
MGW LLC

Post by MGW LLC »

CONGRATS!

Nothing like the feeling of when it works for the first time! :mrgreen:
mp40gunner

Post by mp40gunner »

Hey Alabama,

Don't worry you're favorite Yankee had the same problem. I altered the striker every so slightly to get the pin to start out just under fluch with the bolt head. Since then, I've had no problems with FTF's at all.

I can show you exactly what I'm talking about when you're at Ft. Knox in a few weeks.

Cain
vik
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by vik »

Sounds like a weiner! Thanks abunch!