PROGRESS ON SCRATCH BUILT MG-47

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

PROGRESS ON SCRATCH BUILT MG-47

Post by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 »

HERE ARE SOME MORE PICTURES OF THE PROGERSS I MADE THIS WEEK END ON MY SCRATCH BUILT RECEIVER A-47/MG3/FAL. CHRISENED MG-47 BY MY DAUGHTER. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A EXPERIMANTAL PROTOTYPE. AFTER I GET EVERY THING TO WORK THEN I WILL PUT A DECENT FINISH ON IT. YOU CAN SEE MORE IMAGES OF IT ON MY OTHER POSTINGS.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090

PROGRESS WAS SLOWED BECAUSE I SPENT SATURDAY INSTALLING A NEW HARBOR FREIGHT 13X40 LATHE TO REPLACE MY 80 YEAR OLD LOGAN 10X24 LATHE.
Attachments
ADDED AN OPERATING HANDLE
ADDED AN OPERATING HANDLE
100_0725[1].jpg (543.34 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
REDUCED THE FEED PAWL TO FEED TRAY DISTANCE.
REDUCED THE FEED PAWL TO FEED TRAY DISTANCE.
100_0727[1].jpg (462.62 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
EJECTION OPENING VIEW AND FEED TRAY.
EJECTION OPENING VIEW AND FEED TRAY.
100_0726[1].jpg (526.26 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turbothis

Post by turbothis »

looks good. the trigger and hammer might be pretty tricky huh?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

This gun is real cool-a work in progress! I really envy those of you that can do this design and build stuff-not just a skill,but an art! ---bil
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

MG-47 SCRATCH BUILT RECEIVER

THE TRIGGER , SEAR & HAMMER ARE FAL. LOOK AT MY FIRST POSTING FOR SCRACTH BUILT RECEIVCER. IT HAS AN IMAGE FOR THE GRIP STICK WITH THE FAL PARTS INSTALLED.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

Your design will be like having an RPD.RPD's copied the MG42 topcover and the inverted AK47 is like having a gas recoil system like the RPD.I hope it works! Nothing like American ingenuity.
041x

Post by 041x »

I love custom designs. Please post more pictures as you go. :D :D
justashooter
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by justashooter »

that's one fugly gun. looks like something i'd make.
working on it!
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

FCG working

This weekend I got the fire control group working. I milled a slot for the FAL hammer in the extension piece I welded to the back of the stock ak-47 bolt. I then made a new firing pin slightly longer that the stock AK pin with a shoulder on it for a firing pin return spring to prevent a slam fire. At first it took 2 hits of the hammer to set off a primer. I turned the shoulder down to reduce the weight and it works fine now. I will post some imaged of what I did A.S.A.P.

I tried an AK bolt carrier return spring but it wasn't strong enough to strip a dummy cartridge from the belt. I then tried a FAL carrier return spring. Better but still not strong enough. I bid on and won a M-60 spring on G.B. and it should be strong enough. Should receive it this week. Just have to make room for it by opening up the hole in the butt stock and turning a new end for the bolt carrier end and welding it to the bolt carrier.

I will keep posting up dates as I make them and get some images attached.
Attachments
Assembled view
Assembled view
Picture_029.jpg (947.49 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
dissasembled view
dissasembled view
Picture_031.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3669 times
cocking handle attached
cocking handle attached
100_0725[1].jpg (543.34 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Will be interesting to see if there are problems feeding and ejecting from the same side. Do you think a 50 round drum will get in the way of the ejection port?

A doppeltrommel would be out of the question. :( I know it was not used on the 42 but if he had a 34 top cover.....

My old Romy kit and 34 parts are making me think too.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

mg47 Project

Cycling by hand has not presented any ejection problems so far. It ejects very low through the ejection port below the feed tray. Throws the cases about 30 degrees form vertical downward. I have a small round metal container about 4 inches in diameter with a snap on lid that I plan to make a feed drum out of. I should sit high enough above the ejection port to not present any problems.

(Bil, Is my typing still O.K.? Can you still hear me?)
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I can still hear you,I have to turn up the sound on my keyboard.But now I dont recognize your posts from across the room.I see that you can still shout when needed. :roll: The gun looks good! ---bil
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

The more I look at that baby the more I think get rid of the pistol grip. It needs a set of SPADES on it! :D Not very portable that way though I know.
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Bil wrote:I can still hear you,I have to turn up the sound on my keyboard.But now I dont recognize your posts from across the room.I see that you can still shout when needed. :roll: The gun looks good! ---bil
Perhaps he doesn't quite understand what your implying. As an internet refresher course: Typing in capital letters is normally used to denote shouting.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

HE USED TO TYPE SO LOUD I HAD TO TURN OFF THE SPEAKERS ON MY COMPUTER!!NOW I CAN HEAR HIM BETTER<BUT IT TAKES TIM LONGER TO POST!!? :roll: ---bil
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Spade Grips on my MG47

Actually, the gun is smaller than it looks. It is quit portable and can be easily fired from the shoulder. I intend to put a bi-pod on it latter. It is way lighter than a MG42 with a bi-pod. I weights about 13 pounds so it is easy enough to carry with a sling or Johnny Rambo like.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by salt6 »

Reminds me of the M249 SAW.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

MG47

What it looks like is purelly a coincendence. I was not trying for any particular look, just a functioning belt feed 7.62x39. I need to post more pics of the recent progress but it seem I never have the time. With tweeking and installing a M60 recoil spring, it feeds and ejects blanks very well. Next step is to make a new gas tube to convert it from a short impulse to a long impulse action in order to have enough poop to throw the heaver bolt all the way back and operate the feed cam at the same time. Fun stuff for my new Hobo Freight lathe.

(Boy I wish I could SPELL!!! :!: :!: )
Last edited by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
a-kmanator

Post by a-kmanator »

awesome build sharpshooter,did you open up the gasport in the barrel & block any?that might help if you have short cycle problems,nice job :thumbs: ...kman
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

MG47 Progress

I finially got the material for a new gas tube and got it bored out last night. I removed the gas block and machined off the existing gas relief holes. I will drill several gas bleed off holes along the new gas tube and make a split sleeve that slides over the outside of the gas tube so I can adjust the point the gas pressure is relieved from the piston face. I then need to mate it with the back portion of the standard ak-47 gas tube. Once I test fire it and find the optimal gas relief point, where the bolt carrier cycles all the way back, I can clamp the adjustment sleeve so it doesn't move. That's the idea anyway. I know I need to post more pictures but I can't seem to find the time and the progress I have made since my last pictures doesn't really show up on pictures. Once I get the gas tube and it's adjustment sleeve done I will post pictures of the adjustable gas tube and then it's TEST SHOOTING TIME! :D :D
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

MG47 Latest pictures of progress

Here is some pictures of the latest progress I have made on my MG47 (belt feed AK). I modified the standard AK gas block by cutting off the gas relief holes and turning the neck down concentric with the inside diameter. I made a new heavy wall gas tube with the gas relief holes where the gas piston almost reaches the end of it's rearward travel. I then cut the standard AK gas tube in half and welded it to the new forward section.

For a safety, I made a pin about 3/8" in diameter with a slot in it that the back of the FAL trigger spring plunger rides in. In the safe mode, safety to the right, the trigger plunger bottoms out in the slot preventing the trigger from moving. By pushing the safety to the left the back of the trigger spring plunger can fall into a deeper slot in the pin and allow the trigger to move the sear and drop the hammer. There is a torsion spring end that falls into 2 knotches in the safety pin to hold it in safe mode or fire mode.

IT'S READY TO TEST FIRE NOW!!!!! :D :D :D . Got to wait to next weekend cause I got to go to Toronto on busness this week and won't be back until Firday. :cry:
Attachments
gas tube and standard gas block next to the modified gas block.
gas tube and standard gas block next to the modified gas block.
mg47_017.jpg (410.07 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
new gas stube installed.  Notice new gas relief ports.
new gas stube installed. Notice new gas relief ports.
mg47_018.jpg (448.08 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
view of the safety installed and in the fire mode. Torsion spring end in knotch to hold it in FIRE mode. OUCH, SCRAPPED KNUCKLE!
view of the safety installed and in the fire mode. Torsion spring end in knotch to hold it in FIRE mode. OUCH, SCRAPPED KNUCKLE!
mg47_019.jpg (559.88 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
FAL trigger spring plunger in the slot in the safety plunger in the safe mode.
FAL trigger spring plunger in the slot in the safety plunger in the safe mode.
mg47_021.jpg (321.43 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
FAL trigger spring plunger in the deep slot in the safety plunger allowing the trigger to move and fire
FAL trigger spring plunger in the deep slot in the safety plunger allowing the trigger to move and fire
mg47_022.jpg (326.96 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
SHARPSSHOOTER5090