Welding FP extension

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Brass Scrounger

Welding FP extension

Post by Brass Scrounger »

A little trick so everything stays straight. Used two copper bars with a slight taper on each one so it formed a channel when laid together.

Bragging rights to the person who can identify the chunk of steel on the left holding the rod down. :mrgreen:

smoggle

Post by smoggle »

DP-28 ?????
Brass Scrounger

smoggle wrote:DP-28 ?????
BINGO! :D

Using it as a mock-up for when I get around to making an operational one from scratch. Still added the "not readily convertable" mods just to CMA. Even tho the whole front section isn't there.
pupwag
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by pupwag »

I hope some more info on a semi DP-28 will be out soon.Between an AA kit and a MGS kit I have enough bits to make one.
Brass Scrounger

pupwag wrote:I hope some more info on a semi DP-28 will be out soon.Between an AA kit and a MGS kit I have enough bits to make one.
Have a build page of sorts going - you can dload the maual I've made at:

groups.yahoo.com/group/dp28

This should give you some ideas.

You'll have to wait to be approved - too many spam-bots over there ya know.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Brass, I do the same thing when welding pipe pieces back together for fence - funny how a rancher will spend 20 - 30 minutes welding 8" pieces of rusty pipe together rather than spend $8 on a new piece..

If you really want to get tricky, you can clamp four pieces of 'support rod' together totally encompasing the FP and 4 pieces for the extension except the area you want to weld, then you can just rotate the whole thing.

When I weld pipe you always end up with your weld (the underside) acting as a ridge when you rotate to weld the back side. If youve tacked it well its not a issue, but that doesnt alway happen in my world of welding shitty, rusted ranch pipe!
Smooth is Fast
pupwag
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by pupwag »

Thanks Brass Scrounger.I'll give it a look.